Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another fuel sender repair method T2a
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

I'm in the process of going through my bus after it's engine gave up the ghost. Along with the rebuild one of the things on the "while I'm in there" list is to get my fuel gauge working again. It has always kind of worked but not too well. whenever I would fill up the gauge would read either full or a little over 3/4 of a tank. It would function ok at first, then the needle would just dive to empty with the tank at least 3/4 full.

So "while I was in there" I pulled my fuel tank to get at the sending unit. With sending unit in hand I started checking the sender out using Telfods exelent repair notes. It tested good. 3.3 ohms full 78.4 ohms empty It's testing good. Give it a bit of a shake a few light taps nothing is fazing the reading on the meter. It's solid.

I was a little confused to discover this. The sending unit seemed fine. So I forged ahead and checked the gauge. When the sending unit wire was grounded the needle on the gauge would not go much past 3/4. Now I am questioning the gauge instead of the sending unit at this point. So I decide to put it down for awhile and work on some thing else.

I ventured to have another look last night and wouldn't you know, the sending unit has now gone jankey on me and is now clearly testing bad. Upon further inspection I deemed it a prime cannadate for Telfords repair method which I will do. (I also have another I can fix as well.) But it is the guage itself that has me tapping the keys today.

Unlike the later models that have a "vibrator" included on the fuel gauge circut to drop voltage to the gauge. The early bays do not have this component. The Bently shows two wires to the fuel gauge on my '71 bus. One from the sending unit and another from the #15 terminal on the fuse block. This is a strait 12 volt tap through the ignition switch. (key'd hot.) There is nothing before the gauge to drop voltage to it. So either it is not required or is internal to the gauge I don't know which.

So here is where I am at with this. I need to effect a repair of the sending unit. Hopefully that will stop the guage from suddenly dropping off to empty. But what to do about the gauge not going all the way to full? Obviously a voltage check of the #15 wire to the gauge is in order as well as checking and cleaning any grounds I come across under the dash. if the voltage test to the guage is good what else short of replacing the gauge outright need to be checked beyond what I have already listed?

Last edited by sodbuster on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Little tiny winches to tension the hair wire, how cool is that!? They don't make stuff like that anymore. Cool

Yes regular copper wire will do that job fine.
Yeah, that’s cool. Tension it with the winch and lock it down with the set screw.

y'all should have been around when we went from stones to copper.... the iron guys who came along behind us didn't have a clue how that stuff worked......
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Little tiny winches to tension the hair wire, how cool is that!? They don't make stuff like that anymore. Cool

Yeah, that’s cool. Tension it with the winch and lock it down with the set screw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

Here it is disassembled. Looks like the wire to the lug broke. Simple soldier job to repair it. Do I need to use special wire or will anything work?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

Gotcha, I just responded to the last post & didn't back up to see the different version. Embarassed

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Just a stab in the dark here on that sender. Does the tube need to be twisted to unlock it to slide down? It would seem odd that the constructed it in a way that the rivets would have to be removed to get the tube off.

The tube is held on by the 7 or 8mm nut at the bottom only, once it's removed, the tube slides right off.

Well the aluminum tubes do, but that tube looks like bakelite, maybe it's flanged at the top?
From fear of cracking something I'd drill the rivets and dissect it carefully, copper rivets are available at equine supply stores and likely marine stores too, it looks corroded enough that it could likely use a cleaning between that seam anyways.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

After reading this thread and seeing how easy the bus senders came apart I thought the same thing. I twisted and wiggled it and nothing. As you can see, the bottom plate is removed and there is nothing holding the tube at the bottom. My guess is the tube has a flange and the flange is trapped between the top cover and the ring held by the rivets. This sender is 60 years old! VDO probably changed the design to speed up production.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Just a stab in the dark here on that sender. Does the tube need to be twisted to unlock it to slide down? It would seem odd that the constructed it in a way that the rivets would have to be removed to get the tube off.

The tube is held on by the 7 or 8mm nut at the bottom only, once it's removed, the tube slides right off.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

Interesting, it does seem the tube is somehow attached with those rivets, I guess my next step would be to drill them out and see what's beneath.

Слава Україні!
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method T2a Reply with quote

Anyone want to take a stab at this early Ghia sender? It is not working and should read from 8-80 ohms. I took the bottom cover off and exposed the float and fine wires. The tube will not separate from the cover. I think I need to remove the rivets to get it apart. I would like to keep it because of the date stamp and I haven’t had good luck with the repops.

Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method Reply with quote

Ok. Sounds good. I used the screw method to ground the spring and no penetration with wires, just the machine screw. I may go ahead and blob a fuel resistant sealer for good measure.

Thanks for the responses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method Reply with quote

Ry-dog wrote:
Question regarding the penetration using this method. I did use the Loctite 242 at the bolt threads and nut, but do I still need to use a fuel resistant sealer to prevent leakage if I overfill the tank some?

If you used the screw method to ground the brass spring, and the ground wire does not penetrate the lid (as others have done), then Loctite should do the job. That's all I used on mine, and I have no fuel seepage.

On the other hand, a blob of fuel-proof sealer on the nut certainly won't hurt...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method Reply with quote

Yes, the hole the wire passes through has to be sealed, JB weld works well for that.
The .04 OHM is an error in your meter (poor leads, internal issues, etc...) , add that figure to whatever you read to find true OHM's, you should do that every time you fire up the meter anyways.

Слава Україні!
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up. I just finished the procedure and all tested well with the Ohm meter. Though I am not getting 0.00, I do get 0.4 and that's the best reading I get when I put the probes together. Resistance readings were between 77-83 ohms when empty and 3.1 ohms when full. Mine was from a 70 Westy and had the typical 3/4 reading when full. Soldered the tin wire and the rivet, but not the spade on top.

Question regarding the penetration using this method. I did use the Loctite 242 at the bolt threads and nut, but do I still need to use a fuel resistant sealer to prevent leakage if I overfill the tank some?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: t2a fuel sender testing Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Edited two pix. Take a look.

Yup - that'll work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Another fuel sender repair method Reply with quote

This is a great thread, Telford.
Thanks. Applause

-dasdachshund
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: t2a fuel sender testing Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Telford please review and add and edit as you see necessary.
Thank you
Tcash

I don't have direct edit authority, so I'll just pass along changes.

Edited two pix. Take a look.
Thank you
Tcash
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: t2a fuel sender testing Reply with quote

Info note, on meters in general: most meters are pretty inaccurate at reading resistance below about 10 ohms, as there are too many connections between the meter internals and the resistance being measured. These include where the probes plug into the meter and the probe tips themselves, which get dirty and oxidized. You can compensate for this a little by taking a reading with the probes touching. This represents extra series resistance in the meter, and should be subtracted from a reading taken across an unknown resistance. Even so, measuring really low resistances, like across the trannie ground strap, is pretty much hopeless, and other measurement techniques must be used.

Last edited by telford dorr on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: