Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 pict 3 with 009 air & aux fuel jet sizes verification
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eisenhauer01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: 34 pict 3 with 009 air & aux fuel jet sizes verification Reply with quote

ok, hopefully i don't get flamed too bad here for talking about running this combo..
and I have spent several hours searching and researching info on other websites (rob & daves website has been very helpful) but can't find exactly what I am trying to make sure of.
I am in the process of rebuilding the carb that came with my car. It's a 34pict3. From a lot of what I have read, the 34 pict 3 will work with the 009 ok with a X130 main jet, and a g60 idle jet. I currently have those 2. The air correction jet I have is 75z and the aux fuel jet is 47.5. I looked at the master chart and didn't find those 4 in one combination as all together from the factory. I think the x130 main and the g60 idle will be fine from what I have read, but I don't have a clue on anything when it comes to the 75z air jet or the 47.5 aux fuel jet.
I am still working on building the engine, the 009 is already installed and static timed to 5BTDC so I can start it and fully advance it to 30 or so around 3k rpms. I have attached some pictures of the jets I pulled out of the carb and a pic of my engine to show where I am at with assembling it. It will not be a daily driver by any means, just a "the weather is nice, put the top down and cruise around for a few hours, then back in the garage you go" car. I am open to any information anyone can provide. After reading probably 100 threads on the 34pict3 - 009 dizzy I am not looking for a lecture on how I need to get a SVDA. Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I am not looking for a lecture on how I need to get a SVDA.)

d'oh!

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eisenhauer01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another weird thing I noticed was the carb base number was VW 325-1 and that wasn't listed in the massive chart.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my chart and it's only got what me (and my collaborator) have been able to compile. It's got 325-2, -3, -4, so there must have been a -1, but I've never seen any VW documentation about it. I'm sure its a DVDA carb similar to those other three. As such, with 009 or SVDA, I'd at least reduce the size of the hole in the throttle plate. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365762&

Interesting that the Aux Fuel jet is that size, doesn't look like VW used that size until the 400-series carbs. But if you've read up about it, you should know it's just part of the split idle circuit. I don't think what you have is bad - you just have to see how well it wants to run for you.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eisenhauer01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you andy, and that is cool that you two put the chart together. I believe you are right about the DVDA being original.. I was just going thru another box of stuff that came with the car when I bought it like 6 years ago and came across this jewel about 10 minutes ago. It is in pretty rough shape, has some vertical slop to it, but it appears it is all there

I am guessing this is the original dizzy for my car. I may rebuild it and try to run it later on, but I think for now with the jets that are in my carb I am just going to give the 009 a shot. If I have any issues that I read about I may try the pop rivet trick, or I may just put this one on. I am about to look up the numbers on this dizzy and see exactly what it is. Thanks again for the info
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the original distributor - without an entry on the 325-1, I have no way of saying. However the later 325s all used the AN distributor, not the AJ. The main difference between the two is that you get about 4 degrees more vacuum advance out of the AJ. (which boosts advance in the part-load range, the centrifugal for total overall advance has the same specifications between the two units, as does the vacuum retard)

Does the retard side of the vacuum canister still work? They seldom do.

Its interesting that the date code is visible next to the part number, they are usually off to the side. 121 was Jan 1971, by the way.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eisenhauer01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is pretty cool about the date code. Cool makes sense since my car is a 71 super. maybe it is the original. I don't know if any of the vacuum parts work or if anything works on it. Like I said it feels pretty crappy and has quite a bit of play vertically, like some of the spacers are broke or missing or something. More than likely the reason it was in the box and the 009 was on the engine when I got it. Might clean it up and put it on the wall in my garage somewhere. If I ever want to go vacuum I will prob just get a new svda. Gonna try my luck with the 009 when I get the engine done and go from there.
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eisen... i'm in a similar boat as you as far as tuning goes. Same carb, but not sure about my jets. I have a huge hesitation at low rpm and then boom a surge. If you find something that works, pm me.

Cheers *need a beer emoticon*
Eisenhauer01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking we needed a beer emoticon yesterday as well!
You say the same carb, I am guessing you are running a 009 as well? From what I have read, and a conversation with an experienced VW guy this morning, the jets I have currently should work fine with a 009, the main jet along with the idle jet could go up one size, but what they are currently should work as long as:

The dizzy is timed right (30btdc @ 3000rpm, let idle fall wherever)
The accel pump is set for maximum fuel squirt.

From what I have read and been told, if all this is done correctly and it still has the huge hesitation, then look into the hole in the throttle plate. There are several write ups about it.

http://www.aircooledtech.com/34pict3_modification/

http://www.vw-resource.com/009_dizzy-34_carb.html

Those are the 2 websites I have found a large amount of information on the subject in one place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: