Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van has no power, uphill, highway and now on flat...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenwesty73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Van has no power, uphill, highway and now on flat... Reply with quote

Hi,

My van was running really fine, that was until i got to have no power on the highway and hills (low degree). cannot go beyond 3000rpm, and seems to get worse.

My mechanic changed sparkplugs, distributor cap and fuel filter. Idle is good, but has soon has i drive and it warms up, same same, and problem gets to be at lower speeds now...And started leaking oil while he was checking high reving. Cat blocked, fuel pump, timing...where to look?

Thank you!

Greenwesty
89 wolfburg bluestar

1973 westfalia 1700 single carb
1989 vanagon gl wolfsburg
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are symptoms of fuel starvation. You said your mechanic changed the fuel filter, but did he check fuel pressure and fuel flow rate? When he changed the filter, did notice dirt or water? Depending on where the filter setup is, it may be possible to have a new filter, but there can still be dirt and/or water in the pump itself. This will reduce fuel flow.

If fuel flow is good, next would be to check the injectors. You can do a quick spray test and fuel volume test. Procedure is in Bentley.

Timing is another possibility. Very easy to check. RPM > 3500 will be full advance. Make a mark on pulley as described in tencent post. You can find that in the FAQ section.

RonC
daroota
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also A tear in your intake boot may be the culprit. Allowing too much Air and leaning out your mix.

It's a quick easy check. The increased RPM's torque the engine a bit, which opens the tear and causes no power when over that touchy point.

Just my 2 cents from experience.
wecm31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daroota wrote:
Also A tear in your intake boot may be the culprit. Allowing too much Air and leaning out your mix.

It's a quick easy check. The increased RPM's torque the engine a bit, which opens the tear and causes no power when over that touchy point.

Just my 2 cents from experience.

X2...just went through your symptoms, was vacuum leak.
Intake boot clamp found loose Embarassed on intake plenum.

And vacuum leaks are just like fuel starvation at times...
Just that it's too much un metered air.

Try a propane sniff test.

Gone are the days we stopped to decide
Where we should go, we just ride:)
phatveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: loss of power Reply with quote

Could be a plugged air filter too - easy enough to check/replace.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the oil leak at??? address that first I say. Is this mechanic simply shotgunning the repairs? (ie trying anything on your coin). time for some diagnostic's.

were the old plugs cap and rotor defective?

from fine running to bad suddenly usually is not a spark plug issue. plugs tend to go bad slowly not suddenly.
check timing, check fuel pressure, check the ECU sensors. does the exhaust smell rich?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like when I had a plugged fuel injector. Good compression on all 4 but only running on 3 cylinders.

Just a regular guy
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing is worth a check. Have you attempted to adjust the timing lately? I had a similar issue on wet mornings. Would start and idle fine but would not rev over 3-4k. Then when under load had no power. This lead me to believe it was an ignition issue (plugs, cap wires, coil) but after a lot of trial and error dialing my timing in solved the issue.
greenwesty73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...The AFM was thought to be the culprid. That was cleaned, was running awesome saturday morning, later on after 30 miles from the repair, i could not go at some higher speed (65+mph) but it was windy. Today, could not climb a hill on second, had to be in first gear...Normally i'm in third, than second on a tight turn than third again. I hear a rattle in (around) the exaust...Back to the garage if i can get there.

idle is smooth, goes a bit high when hot 1000-1100rpm.

Will have the fuel pump checked, and have check for air leaks. Normally my mechanic is dead on stuff, and pretty good, but with this...

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic clogged convertor or clogged muffler symptons.

Runs good until it backs up and can't vent exhaust hence it cannot draw in combustion air either.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Van has no power, uphill, highway and now on flat... Reply with quote

greenwesty73 wrote:
Hi,

My van was running really fine, that was until i got to have no power on the highway and hills (low degree). cannot go beyond 3000rpm, and seems to get worse.

My mechanic changed sparkplugs, distributor cap and fuel filter. Idle is good, but has soon has i drive and it warms up, same same, and problem gets to be at lower speeds now...And started leaking oil while he was checking high reving. Cat blocked, fuel pump, timing...where to look?

Thank you!

Greenwesty
89 wolfburg bluestar

Just curious......did your mechanic offer any help? I would think he/she would try to address the problem(s). ????

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Classic clogged convertor or clogged muffler symptons....

I agree - mine behaved similarly the first time the cat packed it in. Most muffler shops (or good mechanics) can test for the excessive back pressure that is a measurable symptom.

Sometimes a failed cat will rattle, sometimes it will not. If it has a big impact on performance there is usually a change in the exhaust note associated with it.
greenwesty73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bikerbus: he's so convinced it's the AFM. It ran like a dream for 40-50 miles (which it usually does), then same same, no power. Will talk to him tomorrow, will bring back the van tomorrow.

The engine is a full new parts rebuild (heads and all) with 30k miles on (the van has 250k miles). Computer, coolant hoses, gaz tank +++ all done in the last years. Normally for fuel economy, the ICV is unplugged (i only drive it summers). I replugged it this year, but lately, i get 1000-1100rpm (variable...related?).

Again, thank you all for your inputs.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap moves around while driving. Airflow picks it up and takes it with it plugging more and more holes until
The engine barely runs!

Shut it off. Pressure bleeds Off crap settles
Down until the next trip.

I am amazed your mechanic hasn't pulled three bolts freeing the cat or even simply pulled the oxygen sensor making a breathing hole.

All that built up pressure also pressurizes the crankcase, no air can escape so it finds holes to get out!..... Oil seals

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenwesty73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@djkeev:
so if by revving the engine hard, oil started leaking (toward the back of the engine), this would be caused by a pressure build-up, maybe confirming a lack of "breathability" because of a clogged cat.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

If the engine can't vent via the exhaust it in essence becomes a compressor, the pistons compress air on both the upstroke and downstroke.

The compressed air can escape out the intake and filter but the pressure build up in the crankcase is quite high. The small crankcase vent to the intake manifold is no match for four rapidly moving 94mm pistons.

As a result the air escapes out any crevice it can find.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
vanaglobal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Van has no power, uphill, highway and now on flat... Reply with quote

Hi guys I'm having similar symptoms after making two adjustments.
I was feeling like the van (83.5 1.9l) was getting bad gas mileage, so I did the most basic thing: check the grounds. Aha! the ground to the fuel pump was hanging by a thread... so I went to replace the ground but the screw that grounds the wire into the car frame was stripped so I just screwed it into another part of the frame. It was a little dusty so I sanded it down a bit and screwed it in there. I also replaced the O2 sensor because it had never been replaced and it was cheap enough thinking it might help my mileage. Van runs great until I get on the highway and shift into 4th gear... No strech, doesnt accelerate past 45-50.

It has to be either the o2 sensor or that ground but I don't see why... Do I just need to sand the contact point of the ground some more? Wouldn't I just get no fuel? The fuel pump sounds strong...
oboi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Van has no power, uphill, highway and now on flat... Reply with quote

Reviving this thread in hope that one of you has solve this issue. I have the exact same problem, runs great when cold, but when it heats up can’t get past 3000RPM and can barely get up hills. Unfortunate since I live in San Francisco haha…

Changed the AFM and checked the air intake and it’s in good condition.

I thought it was cat converter restriction, but I just removed completelyit and took it for a (very loud) spin, and it did the same thing after heating up. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Van has no power, uphill, highway and now on flat... Reply with quote

I'm adding to this existing thread as I've just started experiencing symptoms similar to the OP, I also never saw that the OP posted a resolution to their issue. So here I go:

I'm seeing, starting yesterday, lack of acceleration -car bogged down in 3'rd getting on the freeway. It feels like it is getting starved of air or fuel. In my case these symptoms cropped up after I started hearing rattling going on in the CAT (at idle) as well as rattling upon accelerating from a stop, coming from the rear of the car. So I already suspected the CAT was failing.

I must say this is disappointing as the CAT only has 7K miles on it, and the engine is newish (35k) -was running well, just passed CA smog, and not burning oil or otherwise in bad shape. Also, I now see the same 50 state Magnaflow Catalytic Converter from GW is about $1200 !!

I'll report back after I pull the CAT and investigate further.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Van has no power, uphill, highway and now on flat... Reply with quote

Good call to pull the cat.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: