Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

pouring some belated fuel on the fire....

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?...ecent=True

although that does look like a 1.8t in the back... Be interesting to know the back story here. Car is in Sacramento...
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

syncro
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
pouring some belated fuel on the fire....

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?...ecent=True

although that does look like a 1.8t in the back... Be interesting to know the back story here. Car is in Sacramento...

What a loss, the owner poured a ton of money on this syncro, GW bumpers, rear tire rack, engine conversion...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh damit... I think it is a 1.8T by looking at the raised lid frame...

You can see the raised deck lid a la 1.8T.
The two rear seat holder plates on the side wall indicates it was a passenger van with regular rear seat, then added the second plate to accomodate the different position for a folding down rear seat bed.

1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87RedWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

What a loss, the owner poured a ton of money on this syncro, GW bumpers, rear tire rack, engine conversion...

If the ACV of $52,600 on that page refers to what the insurance paid out, then at least the owner got a decent settlement for the loss.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

one more time:

all owners should pour a ton of money into maintenance before adding any fancy bumpers or other accessories

many people have said this before, but a reminder never hurts
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
one more time:
all owners should pour a ton of money into maintenance before adding any fancy bumpers or other accessories
many people have said this before, but a reminder never hurts

You have no way of knowing what the cause of the fire was or the level of maintenance the van had. The fact that it had an engine conversion indicates a certain level of involvement in the mechanics of the vehicle.
It would very instructive to know the source of the fire, electrical, fuel, arson?

Those are very sad photos. That intensity of fire has left nothing to salvage.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see if Stephen of SAH can weigh in, given the Sacramento location and the 1.8t I would guess he is at least aware of it. Standard disclaimer - they do amazing work there so I am not insinuating anything. I would have them work in my van without a doubt.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

^^^ I was just wondering if SAH knows the story behind this fire. It looks like it was crazy hot and only extinguished after there was nothing left to burn.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

both the cause of the fire was & the level of maintenance the van had can be determined

not likely that it was spontaneos combustion
midmo81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
It would be interesting to see if Stephen of SAH can weigh in, given the Sacramento location and the 1.8t I would guess he is at least aware of it. Standard disclaimer - they do amazing work there so I am not insinuating anything. I would have them work in my van without a doubt.

Mine came back with new 30R7 hose installed from the plastic bulkhead fitting to the fuel rail of the 1.8T and on the return line to the plastic hose going to the return on the tank. I ditched the plastic bulhead fitting for a metal VC unit and replace the 30R7 with proper 30R9 along with the hose going from pump to the tank, from filter to plastic hose and from plastic hose to the back of the bulkhead. Those were all original. I sent Stephen an email letting him know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustsomeKentuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

Can anyone verify if the GoWesty fuel line replace meant kit is the better that I can get? I saw some early entries in this thread about types of hoses...but his says nothing about the type...http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=4393
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

JustsomeKentuck wrote:
Can anyone verify if the GoWesty fuel line replace meant kit is the better that I can get? I saw some early entries in this thread about types of hoses...but his says nothing about the type...http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=4393

Have you called GoWesty and asked what hose they used?
JustsomeKentuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
JustsomeKentuck wrote:

No, because I don't know what is good and what is bad.
JustsomeKentuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
JustsomeKentuck wrote:

In fact , your post was on of the ones that brought up this question. You posted saying a specific type of hose ( you mentioned two by their number ). And someone quoted you saying something about not being a smartass. Lol. So I thought I'd just ask.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fire at gas station - Portland OR Reply with quote

For the US spec hoses you want either a 30r9 or the high pressure variant of the Gates Barricade hose. There are European equivalents and brand specific hoses that are harder to identify.

GoWesty should be able to give you sufficient info on the hose they are selling to let you know whether it will work or not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: