Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Compartment Seal alternative
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quitobus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Engine Compartment Seal alternative Reply with quote

There's a six inch section of my engine compartment seal missing.

Is there anything I could effectively use to patch this section without buying a whole new seal?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment Seal alternative Reply with quote

Quitobus wrote:

Is there anything I could effectively use to patch this section without buying a whole new seal?

A new seal cost $25 these days IIRC and will not only be new, but should be the correct length. The seals that were being sold 10ish years ago were too short. Replace yours with your next parts order, this is a short lived item so yours is probably at the end of its life anyway.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copper Pipe insulation works in a pinch or move the gap to the top forward part of the engine over the transmission, coolest spot for the time being. This is assuming a t4 motor

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
akscooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used some camping mat, the high density blue stuff that you sleep on, it is similar in it is closed cell foam, cut it into a strip length wise and make it about 3 inches wide, or that is 1 inch on each of the gap that you are trying to fill.... turn it on its side or leave it flat on the ground and slice it in the middle to a 1 inch depth on each side...... insert the slits into the tin and the engine compartment.... works quite effective to fill the gaps or if the actual seal has shrunk do to age and has formed a gap....
deezal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful if you use the copper pipe insulation. I tried that and it blew out and got sucked in by the fan. Wildthings reply had it right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment Seal alternative Reply with quote

Quitobus wrote:

put the year your bus is into your avatar so the rest of us have some idea what year bus we are dealing with.
Quitobus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

put the year your bus is into your avatar so the rest of us have some idea what year bus we are dealing with.

Done.

Thanks
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lid seal or foam seal?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quitobus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foam seal
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything heat resistant that fills the space. Replacements are inexpensive. If there is a donor near you take of piece of that seal unless it crumbles. They can be replaced with the engine in the car. The only issue is if someone put an AC unit in the bus on the left side then a part of the apron gets cut so a piece will be missing there.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$36? Just replace it.

http://www.busdepot.com/411813225
mscaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Additional holes Reply with quote

I thought this thread might be a good location to post a follow up question. I've just replaced my seal. As discussed above, I came up about an inch short - but that should remedy with some strategic stretching.

My old heating system has been removed by a P/O. This leaves me with giant holes in the engine bay (pictures attached). Any thoughts as to what could be used to patch these up? I'm hoping someone has already thought of this and there's a product out there that I just haven't found yet, so I don't have to resort to a make shift patch...

Thanks,
Matt

Oh - and by the way - I just purchased my first VW last week and this is my first post.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mscaton on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
anything heat resistant that fills the space. Replacements are inexpensive. If there is a donor near you take of piece of that seal unless it crumbles. They can be replaced with the engine in the car. The only issue is if someone put an AC unit in the bus on the left side then a part of the apron gets cut so a piece will be missing there.

Not to highjack, but... I have a piece of the apron missing from an AC install- all thats left are the hoses... solution just to rebuild the apron with sheetmetal and weld in?
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Additional holes Reply with quote

mscaton wrote:
This leaves me with giant holes in the engine bay (pictures attached).
Try again. Read the instructions provided in the sticky section.

And congrats and welcome.
(sold - but not forgotten)
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP6210 wrote:
Not to highjack, but... I have a piece of the apron missing from an AC install- all thats left are the hoses... solution just to rebuild the apron with sheetmetal and weld in?

Best solution is to get the section from donor bus and weld in. I have done it so let me know if you have questions.
mscaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusBoss,

Thanks - pics updated. Thanks for the feedback too. I had a feeling the answer would include the word "weld." Was quietly hoping for something more like "tape" or "cut a pool noodle..."

Here's another question though. I still have a hole around the oil spout. Not a big gap - but if we really want the engine bay to be air tight from the bottom - how would this be addressed?

mc
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a wide angle picture of your engine taken from outside the engine hatch?

From the angle you provided, I'd say you are better off reconnecting and going for the original configuration. Especially in WI.

If you are certain that you want to just seal it up, the easiest and most cost effective way is to cut some aluminum flashing and use some JBWeld or other metal epoxy to affix and then seal with seam sealer. Best to try and not make any additional holes in your existing tin with screws or rivets. I have even seen red neck patches that involve beer can cut outs.

Last edited by BUSBOSS on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mscaton - no welding required to block off the holes in your tin. Get some exterior caulking - some kind of rubber butyl. Buy a cheap dryer vent with about a 1 foot section of aluminum ducting. Throw away the plastic vent. Use some tin snips (or maybe even scissors) to cut pieces of the aluminum ducting slightly bigger than the holes you want to seal. Caulk them in place - done. It will last for years, as it has on mine.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
mscaton - no welding required to block off the holes in your tin. Get some exterior caulking - some kind of rubber butyl. Buy a cheap dryer vent with about a 1 foot section of aluminum ducting. Throw away the plastic vent. Use some tin snips (or maybe even scissors) to cut pieces of the aluminum ducting slightly bigger than the holes you want to seal. Caulk them in place - done. It will last for years, as it has on mine.

I was updating my response as you were typing dwill. I agree but suggest just buying a small piece of flashing rather than a dryer vent.

The donor section and welding method was for the other post (JP6210) where he needs to replace the missing lip section (not just existing holes in the tin).
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a seal for the tin that surrounds the oil filler tube. Look at BusDepot or AirHeads and you should be able to buy a new one. Here is a link to a reference page showing the tins and seals: http://www.partsbase.org/vw/type-2-t2-us-1976-11-engine-cover-plates/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: