Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Compartment Seal alternative
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BussBoss - yes, agree! I knew you were referring to welding the other hole, not the tin openings, but wasn't sure mscaton realized it.

And yes, you can beef up the block-off metal a bit - I've also seen people use a round electrical junction box blockoff plate to cover up the hole on the driver's side - the size is just right, and it is much heavier than aluminum ducting.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Additional holes Reply with quote

mscaton wrote:
Oh - and by the way - I just purchased my first VW last week and this is my first post.

Congrats on the purchase...always nice to see more Wisco folks on the Samba.

Now go make sure your fuel lines are in good shape... Wink
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment Seal alternative Reply with quote

Quitobus wrote:
There's a six inch section of my engine compartment seal missing.

Is there anything I could effectively use to patch this section without buying a whole new seal?

I bought another length of foam seal and use it as stock to fill in missing bits like this. It is useful to plug other holes in the tin as well.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mscaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is great. First question ever and I have a solution I can handle before the sun goes down. Love the JBweld and sheet metal idea. I can do that! Never really crossed my mind and I think it will work great. I'll track down that oil filler ring as well.

Pic of the full engine now attached. You're right. I need to figure out a heating solution. Picture of the remnants of the old heater is now attached as well. I guess the P/Os went through a few different solutions. I'm leaning towards a 12v DC Thermal Ducted Heater... but I'll save that discussion for another thread.

Thanks for the seal solutions!

Matt
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mscaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
I knew you were referring to welding the other hole, not the tin openings, but wasn't sure mscaton realized it.

You're correct - I figured out we were discussing different issues on my next re-read. Thanks for the clarification.

mc
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a large can of beans or other food and cut the top off the can to open it. You now have a nearly perfect steel patch for the one side. Once you have emptied the can fully then remove the other end of the can followed by cutting down the side of the can near the seem with a pair of snips. Flatten the metal for the sides and cut out a patch for the oval hole. Use a couple of sheet metal screws to hold the patches in place and seal them well with RTV silicone.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Glad to help.

This is totally unsolicited but I'd also move that fuel filter. A leak from there will drip right onto an electric source. I prefer a metal filter down below.
(sold - but not forgotten)
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Use a couple of sheet metal screws to hold the patches in place and seal them well with RTV silicone.

I like the Mcguyver approach but I'd pass on drilling into otherwise unmolested tin in case you or another future owner wants to go back to the original heat exchangers.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mscaton wrote:
BusBoss,

Thanks - pics updated. Thanks for the feedback too. I had a feeling the answer would include the word "weld." Was quietly hoping for something more like "tape" or "cut a pool noodle..."

Here's another question though. I still have a hole around the oil spout. Not a big gap - but if we really want the engine bay to be air tight from the bottom - how would this be addressed?

mc

Welding isn't necessary. I did this repair to my old '74 when I first bought it.

It is just a piece of flat metal that was cut to fit and attached with sheet metal screws and caulk. This second pic is a picture of a 411/412 rear corner tin which works well with the above patch. An equivalent can also easily be built from a piece of flat sheet metal with just making a couple of very minor bends.

Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the foam engine seal just install as push fit from the top?

My seal is crumbling away as you can see here:

1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top is easiest. Seam at top. Shiny side down.
CoachL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment Seal alternative Reply with quote

Realize this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone has additional insight on how to close this gap. PO had the AC unit and I have removed it. Have attempted to pound some aluminum to create a good match. Have thought of using some Super Alloy 1 (https://www.muggyweld.com/product/super-alloy-1/) to join metal to metal in this area as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight provided here. Need this filled up before I can start driving.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment Seal alternative Reply with quote

The correct way would be to cut out of a doner bus and weld it in.

The redneck way would be to buy some root flashing from HD. Use some tin snips to cut the shape you need, make or big so it over hangs a little, drill some holes and rivit the flashing to the engine tin. Chug a PBR and hit the road!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment Seal alternative Reply with quote

Think you got that backwards. First the PBRs then use the cans to make the patch, then have another and hit the road. Cool
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment Seal alternative Reply with quote

This is where the repair I showed above comes in handy, because you are dealing with flat panels verses formed ones. The 411/412 rear corner tin can either be bought from the classifieds or made easily enough from flat stock.

You would need to cut away the rest of the "humped" corner tin in the body, not a big deal.

A bonus of using the 411/412 style tin is you will save a few minutes on each engine removal in install.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: