Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldturtle22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Is there an advantage in using twin 36hp IDF webers on a Wolfsburg west twin port head kit over the standard carbs supplied with the Wolfsburg west kit?

I may have an opportunity to buy a set and really like the look of the Webers? Keep in mind its a daily and not a "race car"

What are your experiences or opinions?

Thanks
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

check out the new august 2015 hot vws mag they have a 36hp build with twin 40 webers on it. and got a best of 69.55 hp at 4,900 rpm on a 69mm by 80mm motor spencerfvee
oldturtle22 wrote:
Is there an advantage in using twin 36hp IDF webers on a Wolfsburg west twin port head kit over the standard carbs supplied with the Wolfsburg west kit?

I may have an opportunity to buy a set and really like the look of the Webers? Keep in mind its a daily and not a "race car"

What are your experiences or opinions?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Did you follow thru with this?

I'm on the path towards this and feel encouraged after talking with others.

Manifolds have been purchased, Okrasa heads will be bought soon and hopefully reworked by my buddy at Aircooled Research.

40 IDF's will be setup by [email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

If I could run webers in the 36 hp challenge I sure Would. 48 ida's and 40 p11 are the only big carbs we can use. They work very well. I've run the solexes that come with the w/w kit and was sadly underwhelmed . For a streetable combo it's how I'd go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback. It will take me 3-6 months to have it complete, but I'll report back when complete.

Manifolds will be here next week.

WW Okrasa heads will go to Matt for port/chamber work in March if he has time.

I'll buy the Webers in June
splitbus.nl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

webers all the way ,
got them ,a friend the ww okrasa set , he is slow i,am fast
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

txoval. Keen to hear how you get on. You have moved from speedwell blower, to single carb and now to WW Okrasa with dual webers. Be good to hear how they each compare in everyday driving.

Richard
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Damn Richard, have you been talking to my wife! Just kidding

Unfortunately I like to change things constantly, and hopefully this will be the last change for this engine.

I wish I could provide better data on the Speedwell Blower. I did not give it a fair shot, and used the money from the sale for other modifications.

I believe my expectations for the Speedwell Blower were way too high. I expected the boost to be noticeable and it wasn't. I have no numbers to back it up, but in the end it was a disappointment. I nice conversation piece, and I'm sure it did add some power.

My current setup runs great with the single 30pic carb, but it is definitely being restricted. Hopefully WW will produce more Okrasa heads and I'll get this mod going
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

I think it's always the case of wanting to try more...I wish I'd pulled the long block apart and put in a different Cam....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

These would look good on the Webers:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=637789

Different finishes available for top and base...silver would be great.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

I noticed those air cleaners yesterday, but I'm not sure if they'll work with CB Performance's linkage. I've used CB's linkage in the past and like it.

My biggest regret is not moving forward with a 69 or 72mm stroke. Matt and Jose at DPR wanted me to go that direction, but I was convinced the blower would make a big difference.

End of summer is my goal...I'll report back. May have some nice ported/polished single port heads (Okrasa valves) for sale soon.
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

I've not used a crossbar linkage (only had dual carb Type 3s before my current setup). I understand they work well, but would something like a CSP or Scat push-pull look more 'vintage speed'?

For me form doesn't always follow function and what I'd like my engine to look like is also part of it!!

...probably best to ignore my ramblings....

Richard
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Richard, I get it, and try to make my engines clean and simple (versus vintage speed). When it comes to dual carbs, I want a linkage that works well and is easy to sync/adjust. The scat/CSP linkages are not my preference.

I'd really like to use a Gene Berg linkage, but can't make myself pay an extra $200 for it. The $800 I'll be paying for the IDF's will put my balls in a crunch with the wife already!
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

I'm fortunate that due to local availability I'll be sticking with my single port heads so won't get myself in the same situation!
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd really like to use a Gene Berg linkage, but can't make myself pay an extra $200 for it. The $800 I'll be paying for the IDF's will put my balls in a crunch with the wife already!

Every man needs a slush fund. Wink

Richard Feynman
DHVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Where do you get the intake manifolds?
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

http://speedwellusa.com/shop/?slug=product_info&products_id=29

Richard Feynman
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Yep, bought mine from Ray. Very nice manifolds

Try emailing him...I've never used his website.

Hopefully I'll be able to report on this in June
my59vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

I went with dual 36 dellortos on my WW kit. Not sure if there is much of an advantage. I went with it to be a little different.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 Beetle
59 Euro Rag Beetle
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

I'm being picky, but CB Performance sells that linkage for straight manifolds.

That way the hex bar would have been parallel to the fan shroud.

How does it run?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: