Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my59vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I'm being picky, but CB Performance sells that linkage for straight manifolds.

That way the hex bar would have been parallel to the fan shroud.

How does it run?

It runs well. I cant compare it first hand to the carbs that come with the WW kit as I never installed those. I have put on a few thousand miles with no problems.

You are right about the linkage. I used it at the time because I had it laying around, but I now have the csp linkage although I still need to install it.

I will say I am glad I used the dellortos because tuning has not been an issue at all and I have read about some people having issues with the WW carbs.

57 Beetle
59 Euro Rag Beetle
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Is that the pull/push CSP linkage? That'll look good.
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

anyone who drove with DCNF webers? I love them because they are compact, but don't know how streetable they are and how easy to adjust
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

yes streetable and yes easy to tune.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Finally have my engine stripped down and will be doing the head swap this coming weekend. Hope to be running in two weeks...will be doing a few cosmetic items while the engine is out.

Definitely hoping for a noticeable increase
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Crappy IPhone picture, but the head swap is complete. Just waiting on a fuel line fitting to finish. I had to trim the hell out of the cylinder head tins. Glad I bought another set so that I didn't have to cut up my original 54 tins.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hopefully the fitting shows up early next week so that I can crank it up.
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Good to see it coming together (making better progress than me!).

Will the shroud fit with the engine in the car? Is your decklid removed?

Thanks
Richard
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Richard,

Yes, I never install an engine with the shroud on. It's already tight enough for that, and it would be a major pain to guide the engine in. I know people do it all the time, but not me. My deck lid has quick disconnects at the hinges...removing it is a piece of cake.

Look at the pic again, yes the deck lid off, look at the brackets. Today I finished installing the shroud and other electrical items. Replaced the oil and filter...just need that dang fitting now.
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Yes...can see now. I was originally looking on my phone and missed that.
Thanks
Richard
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Shocked Bad news! The damn drivers side carb body is cracked at the fuel inlet (barbed fitting). Hard to see until the fuel flows thru it.

I've contacted the seller and hoping for good news. It's definitely a risk with used carbs...
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Shocked Bad news! The damn drivers side carb body is cracked at the fuel inlet (barbed fitting).

Bummer, do you just need a new carb top?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Yes, but finding a 36IDF top may not be easy.
pineapple_express
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Vintage Speed Reply with quote

Twisted Evil
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

How does yours run? Looks awesome

New carb top is on the way...hopefully will have it running very soon
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

I got the carb fixed, reinstalled and the carbs are synced. Beautiful and smooth idle.

Now the next hurdle...the dang linkage. I went with a CB Hex bar for straight manifolds. Two issues, the hex bar was way to wide/long and it mounts way to high causing the throttle cable connection to be less than ideal.

I had shorten the hex bar over 2.5", and then drill it out

Now I need to take hex bar mounts off and drill/tap new holes lower, to properly align the throttle cable/connector.

Gotta love custom installs! Love the results so far, just taking more time
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Updated picture...just waiting on a part to complete the hex bar.

RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Looking good! Ready in time for Christmas?!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

I wish! Unfortunately here in the states, most hardware stores do not carry a lot of metric hardware. I'm waiting on a 8mmx1.25 thread coupler to finish the linkage.

I'm sure it will be here sometime next week. The carbs are tuned and ready to go...
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine Reply with quote

For anyone considering Okrasa heads, you really need to get a set of the Speedwell Manifolds.

The engine runs so much better with the dual 36IDFs. It revs extremely fast...instant power.

Tuning has been okay and I'm a first time dual IDF user. The biggest issue is the room to adjust the idle mixture screws. On the old Italian 36's the idle mixture screw is recessed/shrouded so you cannot see it. Adjusting it is a major pain. If I could go back, I would buy a new pair of 40IDFs.

I'm running 27mm vents, 110 main jets, 180 air jets, 50 idle jets, 40 pump jets, and F11 tubes

Linkage was the biggest pain. I had to make several adjustments to the CB Performance hex bar system to make it fit correctly. I would recommend using the WW bolt on push/pull system.

Picture of shrouded mixture screws
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Reply with quote

pineapple_express wrote:

Twisted Evil

Here's a shot of the 25hp Okrasa I built for this car when I had it.
1511cc, Okrasa heads, Speedwell goodies inside and out with P-11's

It run great!

Sold the car before I got a chance to install the engine. It's currently sitting on an engine stand in the back of my shop next to a Barndoor 36hp that I plan on mashing together with it to make a 36hp Barndoor (Case) Okrasa

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: