Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Riviera - Busaroo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I found in my testing that exhaust added 15* to the coolant temp.

Do you mean that any exhaust added 15* to the coolant temp, or that that particular exhaust does compared to one located further from the engine?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

ives~ the heat shield broke (in my opinion) due to the fact that A) it attaches to the timing belt cover, which has nut serts in the plastic and B) it supports the muffler.

it's a bad setup all the way around. I think the heat transfer into the plastic doesn't do the mount bolts any favors

I believe it heat soaked the engine. here is the RMW one I am trying to sell for a client who wanted to try it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1972991

so, there's proof that I did try it

I felt bad. but everyone was aware of what could happen. I am trying to sell it for the client, it's the least I can do. you need the exhaust to be cooled in the air stream, period.

I have since made my own low clearance header as the ones I was using do indeed sit a bit low. my new one is "slammed bus" ready.

in fact, my header dropped my normal coolant temps about 9*. every degree helps, but now I fear I may be running TOO cool...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

I will ditch that setup ASAP. I will probably post my stuff to the classifieds as well so some vanagon owner can have a complete RMW setup for a discount. Razz

Was this the exhaust setup you ended up using? I grabbed this image from your Putt-n thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

yes. but that has been changed to yet another system in favor for some ground clearance

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Any chance we could get a picture of your exhaust setup?

Not disagreeing with you but simply for discussion's sake....

Why do you think that the engine temps were higher with the RMW exhaust setup? Obviously there are Vanagon folks doing this same swap and RMW's main business is selling parts and kits to the Vanagon crowd. Do you guys think it is a difference in radiator placement?? Engine compartment airflow in a Baywindow vs Vanagon?
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Alright Subaru swap veterans. I need some help. I have the engine, RMW adapter and flywheel, new clutch and pressure plate. Transmission is a rebuilt and modified 002 from Benco. When the engine is mated to the transmission and fully snugged down the engine won't turn over by hand. When the two are loosened or separated about a half inch the engine will turn over by hand easily.

Do I need the 091 bell housing on my 002 trans? Is there a difference in the size of the two that would close this gap?
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
Alright Subaru swap veterans. I need some help. I have the engine, RMW adapter and flywheel, new clutch and pressure plate. Transmission is a rebuilt and modified 002 from Benco. When the engine is mated to the transmission and fully snugged down the engine won't turn over by hand. When the two are loosened or separated about a half inch the engine will turn over by hand easily.

Do I need the 091 bell housing on my 002 trans? Is there a difference in the size of the two that would close this gap?

Sounds like you have the same problem that skills ran into with the pressure plate in his "dumpy bus" build. I would start with looking into that
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...;start=100
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Thanks, in my searching I didn't see his post about this. My search-fu needs practice.

I found this post that made me think I had the wrong clutch or bellhousing: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512085&start=0
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

I did end up needing an 091 bellhousing.

Also new tires! 27:8.50:14 General Grabber at2.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Howdy everyone who is following along.

I have had my buddy trying to wrap up the final steps in getting my engine installed and running. I had to move for a job and he has the shop where I have been working on my bus and I haven't been able to get back there as often as I would like to work on it.

He called me a couple days ago and said he is having trouble getting the engine to build oil pressure. It is getting like 3 psi with my pressure gauge and he checked it with another gauge with the same results. This is a rebuilt engine, all genuine subaru parts in the rebuild. He checked the sump and pickup tube and it looked normal. Anything obvious to try before pulling the motor to try a different oil pump?

Would the filter be bad? Could it have a bypass valve that my be stuck? Is there any way to prime the pump? On a couple of the Subaru sites people mentioned putting a grease on the pump intake to prime it but others said that won't help. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me but that's just a gut feeling. Any other ideas?
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

I have heard sometimes people forget to replace or even install the o ring on the oil pickup. Did you do the rebuild? Maybe start with that.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

I did not do the rebuild. It was ordered from Colorado Componenet Rebuilders, a company that specializes in Subaru rebuilds. I really hope it is something simple. I saw that the company (CCR) changed hands. I haven't called them yet because of the holiday but I am hoping the new owners can provide some info and I hope they honor the warranty.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:

So research on Skills conversion suggests bolts were a tad too long and he shaved them down. Could it possibly be due to the adapter being made by others are universal (091, 002, etc)? I then researched specifically for a adapter made for a Subaru to a only the 002 and landed on the Weddle site which only lists the Subaru to 002. I wonder if its made just for this reason as their are perhaps slight differences in the adapter for each trans?

Link to weddle.
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000351/1002971
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

my p/p rubbed on the boss in the bell on a 091. it was just the rivet heads on the p/p

the adapters are the same...002/091. the flywheels are the same as well. only difference being the cutout for the clutch size

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Figured it would be the same though the OP switched to a 091 to resolve the issue. That made me believe it was the 002 bell housing. So did KEP resolve the clearance issue with their B/B?
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

To add to this, because I went with the 091 bellhousing I was able to use a 228mm clutch kit.

Anyone have any other ideas on what might cause the oil pressure to be low? Should we just replace the oil pump to see if that is the problem?
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Well after my buddy did some more digging, it looks like the crank is moving and has to much play. So the clearances on the engine is bad enough that the motor isn't building any pressure. He called the new owner who bought Colorado Component Rebuilders (CCR) and found out that the old owner had been doing a shitty job before selling the company and the new owner is getting lots of warranty issues. He isn't willing to warranty my motor even after admitting that he knows it was a shitty rebuild. Doing a quick google search on CCR shows how terrible the company was doing over the last year or so. There are lots of complaints about quality of work and refunds/warranties.

The new owner did offer to build a new long block for $500 in exchange for my rebuilt motor as a core. Eff me. I was so close to having this done and driving. My only other option is to buy a new motor and start over. Really feel like I'm being bent over a barrel on this one.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

That sucks hard man. Sorry for your luck. Maybe time for one of those 0 mile blocks Skills always gets.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

The longblock that is available is a 1994 Ej22. Is there anything that would prevent my 1992 ej22 ECU and wiring harness from working with a 1994?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
The longblock that is available is a 1994 Ej22. Is there anything that would prevent my 1992 ej22 ECU and wiring harness from working with a 1994?

That question might best be asked of your wiring harness guy. But I am gonna guess that the answer is that it will work just fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: