Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Riviera - Busaroo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

once again, the allure of a "good deal".... CCR is the GEX of Subaru.....

new short block from dealer 2300. heads done up 800 max. misc crap 500. new engine priceless.

yes, the 2.2 will work any year....all the way to 2.5 up to 07-08 when they went to VVL (quite honestly, I forget the year)

sorry for your loss. now you know why I do the builds I do...simply not worth it to save a dime

even a Subaru reman is a killer deal.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

If the original engine with 170K checked out with good compression and oil pressure, I would have just run that one for another 100K. A one owner car likely came with all maintenance records, too.

Too late now though.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

I only saw good reviews regarding CCR when I made the decision to buy from them. Apparently the company was having issues and the owner was having health issues about the time I purchased from them. It sucks but I couldn't have known at the time.

After talking to the new owner he is going to build a '92 ej22 instead of a '94.

How could CCR be the gex of Subarus? The parts they were putting in were all genuine Subaru or better. Not shit parts of inferior quality from china. It was the builder who did a shitty job. Not trying to stir anything up just venting a little.

If I used a junkyard motor and that failed I would be in the same spot right now. I was hoping to get some piece of mind from a rebuild. Guess I just got unlucky and can only look forward at this point.[/i]
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:

If I used a junkyard motor and that failed I would be in the same spot right now. I was hoping to get some piece of mind from a rebuild. Guess I just got unlucky and can only look forward at this point.[/i]

I was referring to this car, but it doesn't really matter now...

Ives676 wrote:

I bought this Legacy with a slipping automatic transmission for really cheap off a couple in their 70s who have had it since brand new in 1992.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

I realize what you are saying. I still thought I was avoiding the unknown of the 170k motor. Live and learn I guess.

I wish I had kept the original engine and not sent it in for the core exchange. Then I could just run with it for now.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
I realize what you are saying. I still thought I was avoiding the unknown of the 170k motor. Live and learn I guess.

I wish I had kept the original engine and not sent it in for the core exchange. Then I could just run with it for now.

I have a 95 Legacy in the backyard. My wife has been driving it for 12 years, and was rear-ended this summer which totaled it. She was sitting still, and not at fault, but we still got screwed by insurance. The car still runs perfectly. She is uninjured and doing fine.

I have all records of this car from about 110K. I have done almost all of the repairs and maintenance in that time. It was a one-owner car, always serviced at the soob dealer prior to our ownership. It now has 222K, and I will not hesitate to use it in a future conversion.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Weeeeeeeee........

New engine going in.....

Oil pressure is good, cooling system burped, and test driving.

My wife said "it looks tough and rugged, was that the look we were going for?" Lol.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Looking good. Fill us in in the test drive and how it felt to finally take it for a spin.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:

Color, stance, roof, engine. All perfect!
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Intrigued with the radiator setup! Will a scoop be necessary to divert air on the top side of the radiator. Please report back your findings as I definitely like the simplicity of this setup. Great job!
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
Looking good. Fill us in in the test drive and how it felt to finally take it for a spin.

I haven't driven it yet. I was working at my friends shop when I was in between jobs and job hunting. He let me come in and help do lots of the work to save myself money and get some first hand experience. I was there during the sandblasting, bodywork, and painting. I did the majority of re-assembly, I ran wiring, installed lights, the pop-top, glass, etc. Then I got a new job in another town a few hours away. We had everything motor/trans/cooling ready to install but I had to move for a new job. I had him install the remaining things and then I ran into the low oil pressure/excessive crank play.

CCR engines had sold to a new owner after I had purchased my engine from them. Initially the new owner didn't want to warranty anything because it wasn't his work. He ended up helping me out by taking my bad engine as a swap and building me another engine. Well he was very proud of the new engine he had built for me and was taking photos of it for their new website. The platform the engine was on was bumped or wasn't stable and my engine dropped to the concrete floor which cracked the bellhousing, shattered timing covers, etc. Because of this I was delayed even longer and he did another brand new rebuild and was very apologetic and now gave me a warranty.

My friend received the new engine last week. I made a trip to help on President's Day and we got the engine in, cooling hooked up, plugs attached, etc. but we ran out of time and I had to leave before we could start it up. So he has finished the rest and is doing the final buff on the paint before I get it maybe this weekend or next week.

Convoy wrote:
Intrigued with the radiator setup! Will a scoop be necessary to divert air on the top side of the radiator. Please report back your findings as I definitely like the simplicity of this setup. Great job!

Not sure yet about adding a scoop.As of now he said the temp would get up to 212-215 sitting in their garage and the fans would kick on and drop the temp below 200 pretty quickly. Driving around it stayed around 190. But it is also nice weather and not very hot. I will update as needed.

I'm thinking polishing my hubcaps and adding some beauty rings will tie everything together. I may add that to the wishlist.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Sweet bus. Nice and clean install. Congrats on finishing it up, and hopefully getting it soon. Smile
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Sweet bus. Nice and clean install. Congrats on finishing it up, and hopefully getting it soon. Smile

Thanks! I am so excited about it. There were so many days and nights were I was tinkering on things in my garage before the restoration started and I had this vision of the vehicle I wanted in my head. Actually seeing it in real life is so amazing. All of the hot rod guys that frequent my friends shop (they build/restore classic cars) really bad mouthed my bus when they saw it in the initial phases. Now they are all saying wow and how awesome it looks.

I can't wait to get it and start working on the interior. I have been hoarding all kinds of stuff. It will be interesting to start pulling everything out of boxes. I have a full westy cabinet setup that I will probably install after fixing all of the chipped surfaces.

The plan is to build out the interior like a later westy. Matching wooden ceiling, wooden wall panels, door panels, and kick panels. I have the sink cabinet with no stove. I will probably build a table to match that would be placed outside for cooking. I will be sound proofing, insulating, etc. and adding a new faucet and water tank.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

After rebuilding the Type 4 engine in my bus, I don't think I'll ever do another. A subaru swap makes way more sense. Awesome work on yours!
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

That bus looks sweet! I've been enjoying my recent conversion. 2.5 in my'58.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

First drive today! I put about 30 miles on the bus driving it around. So much more power and torque. I need to work on my shifter a little to tighten everything up. Temps climbed to just over 200* and the fans would kick on and drop it to 180* almost instantly. I probably need to make a ramp/scoop to get the air to flow more consistently over the rads while driving.

The fuel pump is super loud so I may need to find a quieter one for my sanity. Also the motor is extremely noisy with no interior, insulation, sound deadener, etc.

I did have some idle surging so I may need to look into the IAC or other possible causes.

Link

Link

Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

On the road - woohoo!! Great looking bus and conversion job! Can't wait to get ours done too. Enjoy!
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the compliments and encouragement. So much more to do on my list but that is also the fun of this hobby.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Went for a nice 200 mile trip this past weekend. The little bugger ran like a champ. Up and down hills, keeping up with traffic, and even passing slower traffic occasionally.

Holy crap is it noisy though. So much wind and road noise. I need to get some sound deadener and insulation installed.

For me the re-geared/rebuilt transmission leaves me unhappy. 1st-3rd are fine but 4th is way to high of a gear. It is like an overdrive and has no power at all. I had to anticipate any hills or grades and speed up to make it halfway or so in 4th and then downshift to 3rd around 45mph which would let me accelerate back up to 55 or 60. By the time I hit 60 the rpms are about 4k which makes the little motor sound like it is just screaming.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

That color looks so good on it and adds to that "tough" look. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: