Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

About start a project: 74 Westfalia Camper Van
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
macbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: About start a project: 74 Westfalia Camper Van Reply with quote

Thanks for reading!
My parents bought this camper and picked it up at the factory in Europe. We drove it around for a couple months in Germany and France. For the last 15 years or so it's been sitting in the back yard.

I've decided I'd like to get it going again. I've got a mechanic lined up that works on these old VW vans but my current task is to get it rolling and out of the backyard so it can be towed.

I need at least 4 new tires - I can check what's on there now and get the same/equivalent. (OH! Yes...I need way more than 4 new tires but I just want to get her rolling Very Happy )

My question is - is there a better tire to fit on the stock rims?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: About start a project: 74 Westfalia Camper Van Reply with quote

1974 Westfalia... best year. Cool story, excited to see more!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: About start a project: 74 Westfalia Camper Van Reply with quote

I put General Grabber all terrain 27/8.5/14 on my stock rims on my 71 and really like the way they feel and look. It's an all terrain so not necessarily stock but to each their own I guess.

There is a whole tire sticky that has enough information to keep your head spinning for days!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Good luck with the project - looks like fun!

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: About start a project: 74 Westfalia Camper Van Reply with quote

Depends on how long you expect this project to last. I wouldn't be buying new tires for a bus that I don't know will be back on the road in a year or two. Tires do have a shelf life. If you just need to get it to roll, I'd be seeing if the ones on it hold air, and if not, getting some stupid cheap used 14" tires to get it to roll. I'd hate for you to drop $600-800 in tires now when you really have bigger fish to fry.
Once you know the $$$ (and if you are paying someone to do the work, it is going to be $$$ +$$$$ and probably a few more $$$ that you didn't expect) and time involved to get it on the road, then think about good tires.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: About start a project: 74 Westfalia Camper Van Reply with quote

Buy used tires until you get it driving down the road and have worked out most of the driving kinks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: About start a project: 74 Westfalia Camper Van Reply with quote

This sounds like the beginning of a fantastic story. Dancing

PLEASE keep us updated on the adventure you are about to take.
It reminds me of this thread...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528538&highlight=
...which is one of my all time Samba favorites

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: