Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

level of gas in carb?? - 35mm too high??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: level of gas in carb?? - 35mm too high?? Reply with quote

I was told by a friend to check the level of gas in my carb because it was running too rich, i just did that and it measures 35mm, its a 1969 solex 30 -pict-2 - should the fuel level be this high becausemy mate suggested it should be 20mm or less, how can i adjust this

btw its in a 1972 super... not the original engine

wanted - Blade from ambo fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel level spec per VW Without Guesswork book is 19.5 +/- 1 for 30PICT-2. Fuel level can be adjusted by using a different thickness of sealing washer under the fuel inlet float valve, or by bending the float, which is not recommended.

Fuel level can also be affected by fuel pressure - have you installed an electric fuel pump? If so, have you measured your fuel pressure at the carb? With a stock mechanical pump, pressure shouldn't be a problem.

Does your carb have a brass float or plastic? If it's brass be sure it is still floating and not partially sunk due to a pin hole leak in the float.

How are you measuring to get 35mm? Are you measuring from top of carb to surface of fuel, or are you trying to get the depth of fuel in the bowl?

I found this on a site about a Solex 2 barrel, but the principles are the same.
Quote:

After installing carburetor, run your car for a few minutes at idle speed, shut off engine and remove carburetor top. Measure the distance between the top of the carburetor float chamber and the surface of fuel at the separating partition between float chamber and carburetor throat. Measurement should be between 19 and 21 mm. There is different thickness seals for the fuel inlet valve that will change the fuel level, a difference of ½ mm. Will change the fuel level 1 mm. Thinner seals will increase the fuel level. You can also bend the float to adjust the fuel level, holding float arm and bending float up will increase fuel level
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: