Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

Hi, for my 1303 1973 1300cc manual trans, I need solex 31 pict-3 stock jets size information....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the picture appear, but is too big jetting for me, and (0) jet without information.......

Really appreciate your help!!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some info on this page: http://www.ruddies-berlin.de/solexPICT.htm

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 31pict3 was the stock carb for the 1300 twin port engine, ( note that the pic says 1300 and "44 ps motor" which is the 1300 engine), so the sizes in your pic should work ok.

The 31pict3 has a larger 25.5 mm throat than the earlier 1300s 30pict carbs (24mm throat).

So my reading of that jetting is that it has a rather large main jet to go with the larger throat, but a large air correction jet to stop it going over-rich at higher speeds ( with open-throat style carbs, the main jet would go over rich at medium to high speeds without an air correction jet).

The idle jet is a fraction larger than I would have thought at 60 rather than 55, but that might be because of the larger throat too.

The aux (power) jet is less critical as it only operates at high speed/ open throttle, so it coul be anything between about 47.5 to 65.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
There's some info on this page: http://www.ruddies-berlin.de/solexPICT.htm

Excellent!!...the best info for me....european versión is very similar to my country....thanks x 1000......
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
The 31pict3 was the stock carb for the 1300 twin port engine, ( note that the pic says 1300 and "44 ps motor" which is the 1300 engine), so the sizes in your pic should work ok.

The 31pict3 has a larger 25.5 mm throat than the earlier 1300s 30pict carbs (24mm throat).

So my reading of that jetting is that it has a rather large main jet to go with the larger throat, but a large air correction jet to stop it going over-rich at higher speeds ( with open-throat style carbs, the main jet would go over rich at medium to high speeds without an air correction jet).

The idle jet is a fraction larger than I would have thought at 60 rather than 55, but that might be because of the larger throat too.

The aux (power) jet is less critical as it only operates at high speed/ open throttle, so it coul be anything between about 47.5 to 65.

Thanks Aussiebug.......but why so much size difference between both information chart for the same 1300cc engine???........and 110z or 170z mean 1.1 por 1.7 mm??

Regards...

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air correction jet did vary all over the place across the 30PICT-3, 31PICT-3,31PICT-4 ranges in the 1970s... all the way from 110 to 170. Note the vehicle application and the size of the main jet also vary.

-Andy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The air correction jet did vary all over the place across the 30PICT-3, 31PICT-3,31PICT-4 ranges in the 1970s... all the way from 110 to 170. Note the vehicle application and the size of the main jet also vary.

-Andy

Ok....never understand the difference between use big.main and big airs or small main with small airs.....is not the same ratio or combination?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is what determines the size of air and main fuel jets in the same engine and carburetor ??
....why differences between Germany chart and USA chart for the same bug and carb??.....110z is too different to 170z!!

Elevation??
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

Hi,

Carburetor: 30/31 Pict-3
Engine is 1600, Single Port with Engle W100 Camshaft
Cylinder Head Ported and Polished

I just Brake-in the engine, and it run perfect, now I need to make fine tuning for this new carb. and I have AFR. Need your advice for jetting it for the best engine running temperature because of our hot weather climates

Aussie63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

Ive just rebuilt my stock 1300 TP engine and am using an original Solex 31, Pict -3. The H30/31 is a direct replacement for this carb.

I have read up on numerous sources for correct jetting and I've never understood the extreme variations on jetting options for this carb listed by manuals and so fourth. The two most common jetting options are:

145 fuel jet
170x air correction
60 idle jet
50 for the aux jet.

VS:

130 main jet
110x air correction
52.5 idle
47.5 aux jet

My understanding is that this carburettor was mated with the DVDA distributors. I'm wondering if that had a bearing on jetting?

For me the 145 option was making the car run way to rich and I was getting a massive flat spot on acceleration, not to mention poor fuel economy. The second option with the 135 main jet still gave me the same result.

I've finally got it jetted to 125 main jet, 125 air correction, 60 idle and 50 aux. It's running near perfect with the mixture now a nice rich grey. It accelerates smoothly. Living in the cooler climate here in the UK and roughly at 300ft altitude.

There's a good read on choosing suitable jetting on Rob and Daves VW Resource. They mention jetting for the replacement H30/31 carb too. Have a read.

http://www.vw-resource.com/jets.html#30
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

Generally, since the air correction jet feeds air to the main discharge arm of the carburetor, and the main jet feeds fuel, the two need to match. Now, once you get closer to full throttle, the high speed enrichment jets also come into play, but in the midrange, you need a match of air correction and main jet. The crux of this is, usually, larger air correction jets go with larger main jets, and vice versa. But having two power fuel (enrichment) jets does skew things a little.

Yes, going by "feel" and by closing monitoring fuel economy works (looking at spark plug condition... that varies, because people pull spark plugs with far too few miles, or with just in-town short hops that can drastically alter what you see there) A tailpipe exhaust gas analyzer is nice, but can also be misleading because just revving an engine up parked at the curb, so to speak, there is almost no load on the engine.

Now the two idle jets (pilot and auxiliary are the two paths of a divided idle circuit) only play into idle and transition.

One thing to keep in mind is that the German 31PICT-3 variants were originally matched to either SVDA or DVDA distributors. My chart shown above lists these.

The Brazil H30/31PICT is set up for a vacuum-only distributor, like the 113905205T, that is, if you are accessing the traditional left side vacuum port. If you hook that up to an SVDA or DVDA, you won't get proper vacuum advance. The port suitable for advance on SVDA or DVDA is the angled one to the right rear of the carburetor and to use it, you may have to get creative to route the vacuum hose in such a way that it doesn't tangle with the throttle arm.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

I need some support on this topic. Helping a friend with a 1.3 dual port, original 31pict3, SVDA. We can not get it to idle, and it backfires in the exhaust heavily.
My main question is if the idle jet and aux positions are actually right in the pictures (pos. 3 and 0 in the first picture, 26 and 24 in the pictures from the ruddies-berlin website). With that configuration (52.5 idle, 47.5 aux) in those positions, we can get it to idle only with the throttle opened quite a lot. If we swap the places of the jets, then it starts to respond to the basic tuning, with throttle closed.
Any ideas, please? It's driving us nuts since months. We tried 3 different carbs, and different ignition...
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
...We tried 3 different carbs, and different ignition...

And still the same issues with the different setups?
I wonder if the problem is something else?
Valves may be?
I experienced some strange engine idle and throttle response behavior with a cracked exhaust valve.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

Valves are adjusted. Heads are cracked, an issue is that replacement 1.3 DP heads are not available... But I had cracked heads in my 1.6 for years and still it ran very well, adjustments were working...
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

Actually my main question here is in order to confirm the positions of the jets, because it seems a bit strange to have the idle jet to an angle, whereas for all other carbs the idle jet is in the "straight" position. Also correlated to the behavior that we could tune the idle when the jets were swapped.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
Actually my main question here is in order to confirm the positions of the jets, because it seems a bit strange to have the idle jet to an angle, whereas for all other carbs the idle jet is in the "straight" position. Also correlated to the behavior that we could tune the idle when the jets were swapped.

The jet names given at the German website mentioned before, and the diagram above, are the same as those in the Solex carb manual from DVG/Pierburg, available
from this website at https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/solex_30_34_german.php

Since your two idle jets are so similar in size, it is quite astonishing that any difference in behavior you get from swapping them would not be totally swamped by
the effects of the bypass air and mixture adjustment screws. One suspects that one of your jets is defective in some way.

tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

Thank you for the link to the German manual. It's clear, the jet going perpendicular is the aux, and side jet is the idle jet.
It's also puzzling us, because it means that with a smaller jet (47.5) we can tune the idle, but not with the larger one (52.5)... Unfortunately I do not have a jet gauge tool to check the real size.
Next: swap the ignition to another known good one.

Could we blame the cracked heads for this behavior?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: solex 31 pict-3 stock jetting question?? Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
Unfortunately I do not have a jet gauge tool to check the real size.

There are things other than jet bore size that could be wrong. It's not rare that the seats for these idle jets in the carb get mashed/distorted
by folks grossly over tightening the jets. I once had a no-idle situation caused by a piece of crud getting inside the jet and blocking flow. Etc.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: