Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Did a little more diagnostic work and eventually noticed that the endplay had opened up from my original setting.
How much?
Tcash

+50% from where it started

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
Sorry to hear about the set-back, but that engine sure was looking/sounding good!

Thanks... Stuff happens. Better to find it now then down the road somewhere. Aftermarket parts these days are just so hit or miss.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Making progress on getting the 1600 back in. Just working on it a little bit each night after work. I've got a set of unported intakes showing up today which should be the last thing I need. After that, its just installing the 40 HPMXs, hooking the wiring back up, reconnecting the fuel line, and then figuring out my exhaust. I've got a dual quiet pack setup with this standard header, but the mufflers are tucked way back for a T1 and hit the mustache bar. I'll probably cut the muffler assembly and reposition the mufflers so they will work for the Bus.

Motor all dressed out again...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Was on a roll, so I stabbed it back in too...

Hopefully I'll be up and running before the weekend.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Everything installed short of running a new clutch cable and accelerator cable (figured I'd replace them while I was into everything).

Last night was spent modifying the dual quiet pack exhaust from my T1 to better fit the Bus. I'm pleased with the way it came out.

And a close-up shot of the fancy pants non-ported intakes I bought. Picked them up from a buddy who owns a powder coating business. Its a really nice finish on them.

Still a few little odd and end things to do, but I should be able to tune on it this afternoon, and go cruising with the kiddos on Saturday. They are looking forward to riding again.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Got the 1600 all buttoned up and dialed in this weekend. Retaining the dual 40's made a huge difference in drivability compared to the old 30/31 I was running before. Let's be honest, its still not a rocket (or a subi swap right Skills?), but it sure gets along much better than it did before.

For now I'm happy to be back up and running. Going to focus on a the laundry list of smalls that needs to be done. I started on that by finally getting the accelerator cable and clutch properly changed and sorted. Shift bushings, door lock/latch mechanism cleaning/lubing, and headlight/taillight connector cleaning/repairing is next on the list.

A little better shot in the day light showing the finished 1600 and dual qp exhaust.

As for my big motor, I did get it on the stand and undressed down to the longblock. As I get time I'll dig in and find out what actually happened, but I'm not in a rush. From there we'll decide what the future holds. Still having trouble shaking those subi thoughts... Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Been enjoying the good driving weather...

Took my daughter out on her bday daddy breakfast date last week. She's 4 this year, and she LOVED taking the bus out for breakfast.

This weekend I got the stock heater boxes repaired and not leaking. Actually had to use the heater while we were out wandering through the backroads checking out the rural neighborhoods on Saturday. Honestly quite impressed on how much heat that durn thing actually puts out. We were toasty in no time.

Yesterday I pulled the slider door back off and pulled off the front and rear latches for a cleaning and lubing. Can't figure out how to get the front latch opened up without cutting it apart, so I opted to clean and lube the best I could together. A combination of cleaners, wire wheel, WD40, and some white lithium grease, and I appear to be back in business. Door shuts and latches much better. Front L/R door handles are next.

-----------------------
2084 teardown & inspection

Did get my big motor torn back down and inspected. No smoking gun unfortunately. The small aluminum flakes I saw in the oil came from the crank pulley which was either oversized, or the crank bore was tight. I need to confirm and correct one or the other.

As for the end play, definitely confirmed that it grew, but no evident cause apparent. The thrust bearing looks great, as do the shims. My best guess is that there was a burr or something on the shims that caused the reading to be tight initially, and then opened up after running. The shims came in an assortment from CB.

Ultimately I've started cleaning everything back up, and got it all organized and put away. I'll slowly start the reassembly process over the next several weeks. I'll definitely be watching those end play shims closely. Going to also take the opportunity to make a few adjustments as it goes back together. Number one on that list, a quieter exhaust Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Time for a trip report!

Now that I've got the 1600 reinstalled and well sorted, we decided to take the Bus out on a day trip this past weekend. Texas winters are great for this type of trip. Just cool enough in the morning to need long sleeves, but warm enough during the day to wear shorts and a tshirt, while still cool enough to keep the sweat at bay. I'll try to remember how nice this was when summer and triple digit temps roll back around again Laughing

Being in San Antonio, I've got LOADS of Texas hill country right out of my back yard, so we aimed the bus towards Canyon Lake and took off. The plan was to cruise from home over to New Braunfels via the hill country back roads, and then snake up the Guadalupe River to Canyon Lake. From there we hit Devils Backbone, drove past El Rancho Cima Boy Scout Camp, followed by a nice leisurely drive back through the great metropolis of Kendalia TX to home.

Overall we had a great time. Picked up sandwich fixings in New Braunfels and pulled off along the way for an impromptu pick nick. Easy to do when the table is with you where ever you are. Also stopped at a little artisan market outside of Canyon Lake where the kids got to pick out a free teddy bear and book from one of the sellers. Nice eclectic collection of foods, clothes, jewelry, etc, and a great little stopping point to take a break and walk around.

All in all the bus ran flawless. The 1600 just works its little heart out on the hills, but it just kept right on going again and again. After getting back home, I checked the engine over well, and everything was cool as a cucumber and purring smooth as can be. The only casualty was one missing bolt from the header collector. Easy fix.

A few pics of the journey

Gassed up and ready to go

River Rd snakes across the Guadalupe River with multiple crossings. Lot of folks camping and fishing all along the way

The lookout on top of Devils Backbone

Had some company on this stop. TONS of motorcycles out riding the hills with the good weather too.

Stopped for a pic at the entrance of El Rancho Cima. I spent many of summers here with my Dad and brothers at Boy Scout camp. Lots of good memories.

Many a downhills spent building up speed for the climb back up the next one LOL

Driving down to scope out Canyon Lake

Enjoy!

------------------------------------------

Should start round two of the 2084 build soon. Got most of the parts cleaned up, and a new complete set of engine bearings in hand. Got a few more goodies from CB showing up next week (quieter exhaust!!), and my crank and cam are out at the machine shop getting a quick polish before they go back in. I should have this back together and in sometime next month. My only real deadline is being complete with the new motor in time for the Tx VW Classic in April. Should be an easy goal to hit.

67 Beetle (TBD)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Glad to see you out on the road again. The bus and engine look great, stoked for you and your family! How'd that twin exhaust treat you?!? Only another 7 days before I'm in shorts and t-shirt weather, I'm not counting or any thing. Laughing
’65 Deluxe Build
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, you'd LLOOVVEEE a stock, bus muffler on the 1600. Huge difference in how much quieter it is vs. what you're running.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Glad to see you out on the road again. The bus and engine look great, stoked for you and your family! How'd that twin exhaust treat you?!? Only another 7 days before I'm in shorts and t-shirt weather, I'm not counting or any thing. Laughing

Thanks.. We are enjoying being mobile again. Sure wish the big motor would have stayed put, but just a bump in the road. I'll get it back in soon enough.

This exhaust is great. It was on my Beetle before, and I just cut and re-welded it to fit the T2. I ordered a very similar dual quiet back setup for my full merged header for the big motor to replace the turbo muffler I had on it when I broke it in. Should be a much better setup for the big motor in terms of passenger comfort/annoyance.

wcfvw69 wrote:
Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, you'd LLOOVVEEE a stock, bus muffler on the 1600. Huge difference in how much quieter it is vs. what you're running.

Thanks.. Glad you enjoyed the pics. We had a blast yesterday.

I think the exhaust talk is confusing folks a bit. For me, the dual quiet pack exhaust on the bus right now is perfect. I'm sure its louder than stock, but its perfect to me. Sounds great and not overly loud driving down the road. Flows very well and with the dual 40's, the 1600 is decently peppy for what it is.

The loud exhaust I keep referring to is/was the big dynomax turbo muffler I had on my big motor when I broke it in. It was way LOUD, and SUPER noisy in the cab just while running the engine inside the garage. Couldn't imagine it would have been fun while driving. I have a dual quiet pack muffler setup coming for the 1-5/8" merged header on that motor when it goes back in.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Here's some good info on exhaust systems from the engine forum.

clarkson1968 wrote:

’65 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Another thing I'll add with exhausts, shop around for quality. All of my stuff has been purchased through CB Performance and I've been pleased with the quality. I've had similar Empi mufflers that were definitely not as nice.

The info Rich posted above is a decent guide from my skim of it. Probably don't agree 100% with everything, but everyone's priorities vary some.

I've been playing with aircooleds for quite a long while now, and have had a lot of different exhaust along the way (when you're young and broke, exhaust swaps were a cheap way to change up the car). What I'm finding sort of funny now, is with my older age, I'm valuing much different qualities from my exhaust systems. While performance is still high on the list, noise reduction is now very prominent where it used to be almost a non-existent concern LOL

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

No much to report. Been driving the westy around here and there, but no more big trips since the last so far.

I have been busy getting the 2084 motor put back together. One of the changes I made was getting ahold of an OE VW flywheel and having it drilled for 8 dowels this go around. A few familiar pictures Rolling Eyes Laughing

I also ordered a Buttys Bits throttle linkage as I've continued my preventative maintenance of various subsystems on the bus. My current throttle linkage is ok, but was in need of attention. The Buttys bits stuff has been pretty well reviewed here, so I decided to go for it. Looking forward to seeing the improvement here.

All for now.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Managed to get the 2084 dressed out and put back in Saturday. Went pretty quickly considering it was all just a (re)bolt in affair. I still need to do some detail work with the full flow oil lines (secure them away from the exhaust), get the external cooler mounted and installed, install and hook up the gauges, and lastly modify my new dual quiet pack setup for this header/application. Should be able to tackle most of that during the evenings this week.

Overall the engine seems to be running smoothly. We'll see if it stays put longer this time Rolling Eyes Laughing

Link

67 Beetle (TBD)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Looking and sounding good!
’65 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks Rich... Can't wait for the test drive Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

After you have a few thousound miles on it and it's nice and broke in you should find a Mustang dyno to put it on. It will be interesting to see if your larger carbs and exhaust allow your engine to put out more power then mine. Laughing
’65 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

We'll I got my 2084 install completed and was anxious to get out and try it last week. After getting the chance to drive it some, I ended up being sort of disappointed. Although the engine had considerably more power (which was a big plus), I felt that it more or less missed the mark for what I was ultimately after.

The biggest issues was noise. The exhaust, intake, and valve train was just really noisy in the cabin driving around. That really killed the driving experience for me. I've done quite a few big engine builds in the past for my T1, but for whatever reason, in the Bus it just wasn't working for me.

After exploring a few ideas in my head of how I could improve things, I ultimately decided for the time being to put the 1600 back in and keep enjoying the Bus while the weather is nice. With the exception of power for hills, the 1600 has proven to be a really nice/quiet/smooth power plant. I'll fiddle around with the 2084 more in my T1 to see what other NVH improvements I can make. We'll see where it goes from there.

While I was wrapping up the 1600 re-install, I got my Buttys Bits throttle linkage installed. I would highly recommend this product to other Bay owners. Its a little spendy, but a very quality piece. The install went really easy. My only issue was having to slightly elongate the hole where the throttle cable passes through the chassis cross piece before going into the throttle tube. The Buttys linkage seemed like it had a little bit longer lever arm where the cable attaches than my stock parts did, so my cable was just ever so slightly dragging the edge of the chassis cross member. Easy fix.

A shot before I put the return spring on (ignore the fact that the boot wasn't seated here)

With the throttle spring installed (yay for the PO and his pop riveted floor patches... on the list Laughing )

All for now.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Did a little cruising this weekend checking out various neighborhoods around town. While out we stopped for some tasty texmex for lunch, and enjoyed the outdoor seating and nearly perfect weather/temps.

On the way home we decided to stop by the big box home store to look at stones for a fire pit we wanted to build (just finished the annual tree trimming, so I have a HUGE pile of trimmings to burn). Perused around and found something we liked, so I said, I'll go get a cart. Wife gave me a funny look, and said "will the Bus haul it?". Of course it will! Got quite a few funny looks loading it up as we left though. One really nice employee came over to help pickup and hand me bricks off the cart as I loaded them inside. Got the obligatory "nice van" comment. Told him thanks, and that I didn't expect the bricks to make it any faster... LOL

36 bricks total at 22.5 lbs per brick, JUST shy of an extra 800lbs of load. Combine that with my family of 5, and it makes me even more impressed with the little 1600 that could LOL. Surprisingly it didn't feel terribly slower (or faster LOL), but I did give myself a little more room to slow down on the way home.

67 Beetle (TBD)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

1600? What happened to the 2084?
’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: