Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Read the post above the brick one...

I installed it and drove it some, but wasn't super happy with the end result. Probably won't make sense to anyone on the outside looking in, but it just didn't work for me. Didn't enjoy driving it as much. For the time being I threw the 1600 back in while I figure out the next move.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Read the post above the brick one...

I installed it and drove it some, but wasn't super happy with the end result. Probably won't make sense to anyone on the outside looking in, but it just didn't work for me. Didn't enjoy driving it as much. For the time being I threw the 1600 back in while I figure out the next move.

I agree with your assessment. I have a 2276 with dual 44's that I've plugged into my stock 69 bug on occasion for fun. It's shocking how much LOUDER that engine is vs. the stock engine. Between the exhaust and the carb noise, on the 2276, it reminds me that I'm getting older and like the (relative) quiet of the stock set up.

When I bought my 70' bus, it had a header with a single muffler exhaust. I couldn't wait to yank it off and replace it with a stock bus muffler. I was SHOCKED how much quieter the stock muffler was vs. the single muffler. My bus engine is now bone stock w/all the original German parts that have been refurbished. Lord knows, it's not the fastest thing on the planet but I'll gladly give up speed for the quiet and reliability.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Im bummed you took it out, that's a lot of work to not end up using it.

I too moved similar bricks last summer, only 500 lbs though.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1329648
’65 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I agree with your assessment. I have a 2276 with dual 44's that I've plugged into my stock 69 bug on occasion for fun. It's shocking how much LOUDER that engine is vs. the stock engine. Between the exhaust and the carb noise, on the 2276, it reminds me that I'm getting older and like the (relative) quiet of the stock set up.

That pretty well sums it up.. Stuff that used to never bother me one bit have now become a sticking point with me. For the Bus, the old trusty 1600 was just more enjoyable to drive.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Im bummed you took it out, that's a lot of work to not end up using it.

Don't be bummed.. I'm not Laughing Cool

It was a lot of work to build (especially since I did it twice), and maybe for that reason it was even more disappointing when I just didn't like the end result as much. I considered some ways to improve things, but after all the work and time spent to get there, I just didn't have much motivation to spend more time and money on it. For me, it just didn't have the same driving enjoyment that the 1600 had. We got the Bus to load up as a family and go out and have fun, and the motor was competing with that. So it was an easy choice to plug my nice 1600 back in and get on with enjoying the drive. Don't get me wrong, I do miss the extra power the 2084 had, just not everything else that came with it.

My T1 is sitting next to the westy in the garage without a motor, so it stands a good chance that the 2084 will end up there. That said, I've still got an itch to play with alternative powertrains (in either one of the cars), so there might be something there. For now though, I'm enjoying the Bus as it was intended to be.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Not a whole lot going on lately with the westy. Been busy with life, vacation, and other things, but we're still taking it out and enjoying it on the small trips where we can.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The TX VW Classic is coming up this weekend, so I drove it into work this past Monday to road test the last set of carb adjustments I made to it. While at work I managed to score some goodies out of the scrap metal bin. After a quick wipe down I loaded them into the back ready for the trip home. Managed to score four really nice old metal storage containers, and a really cool small engine cutaway that used to be in our conference room (Can't believe it was thrown away, but I'm not complaining. Will be a good tool to teach my boy how engines work).

Other than that, business as usual. I'll be headed out this weekend to the Classic and should have some nice pics from there. Also finally ordered a replacement canvas for the pop top so I can finish the top refurbishing project and get on with the plans for the continental bed. Ended up going with the in house Bus Depot canvas in the original yellow color. I'll post pics of its install soon.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Are you bringing that cut away engine to the Classic? My son and I would love to check it out!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

I"m going to be going back to a stock(ish) exhaust on my '79. It currently has a header and single glasspak on it, I was getting stopped several times a week in it.
Interestingly, my DD truck registers 2dB higher than the Bus (406ci, dual hi-flow cats and Magnaflows), not once I have been stopped for noise when driving it.
Either it's the distinct sound of the boxer running through a tinny gp, or I'm being profiled Smile. Either way, I'm changing it to avoid (hopefully) the hassle.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
Are you bringing that cut away engine to the Classic? My son and I would love to check it out!

I hadn't planned on it, but I might can throw it in for the trip...

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
I"m going to be going back to a stock(ish) exhaust on my '79. It currently has a header and single glasspak on it, I was getting stopped several times a week in it.
Interestingly, my DD truck registers 2dB higher than the Bus (406ci, dual hi-flow cats and Magnaflows), not once I have been stopped for noise when driving it.
Either it's the distinct sound of the boxer running through a tinny gp, or I'm being profiled Smile. Either way, I'm changing it to avoid (hopefully) the hassle.

There is your problem.. you could leave the header and change the muffler and probably end up with something a lot quieter. Glasspaks are noisy, especially once they get old/burned out.

I'm very pleased with my dual quiet pack setup. I'm sure the stock muffler is even quieter, but this one I made up works well and is not loud at all. The only thing I don't like is that I welded this one up from a dual T1 muffler setup, and it ended up a little narrow width wise. Aesthetically it would look better with the mufflers spaced out more.

Now the exhaust I was running on the 2084 while it was in there, it drove me nuts (along with everything else Laughing )

67 Beetle (TBD)

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Bala wrote:

I hadn't planned on it, but I might can throw it in for the trip...

Don't worry about it if you weren't planning on it. I'm sure it's a bit heavy and awkward to move around.

It would make a great centerpiece for your next holiday family gathering. Very Happy

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

This past weekend was the Texas VW Classic held in small town Fredericksburg Tx. If you are ever in the area around the yearly April timeframe I'd highly recommend checking it out. Its always a great turnout for the weekend, and Fredericksburg is such a cool little German touristy town nestled out in the hill country. Tons to see and do.

Unfortunately for this year (and last year too), it did fall victim of the crazy spring time Texas weather, with rain off and on all weekend. For me this year I only managed to make it up on Saturday for the swap meet and afternoon cruise, but we still had a great time regardless of the short visit. Knowing the weather was going to be iffy, I did plan ahead and completed a full RainX treatment on the windshield, and finally got around to getting a set of blades and putting my 68 only wiper arms back on. In hindsight, that was a good move!

Early Sat the whole family got loaded up and we took off out of our place into a cold drizzly morning. The RainX and new blades held up wonderfully, and it was off an on raining for the entire 1.5 hr trip from our place to Fburg.

Got a chance to further test its water tightness, which lets face it.... still needs some improvements. Did document a few drips from up under the dash that I need to go hunt down (any ideas?)

Once there we were welcomed into the small town by the sight of several vintage VW's poking about the streets and at the gas station. That is one of my most favorite parts about this show, is just seeing all of these nearly 50 year old VW's out in force driving around the area. Its really something to see. We pulled into Ladybird Johnson Park where the show is held, and found us a nice parking spot right up front at the pavilion upon arrival. From there we fed the kids some snacks and then unloaded for a walk around. I enjoyed strolling through the swap meet area, not because I'm really hunting anything, but mostly just to see what's there and catch up with the wide range of VW folks I don't get to see often enough. After a quick walk around and some lunch from one of the food vendors, it was time to line up for the cruise. This cruise is generally pretty big. Not sure how many cars turned up this year though, as things did show a little smaller with the weather issues all weekend. Still quite a turnout though.

Looking back from our Bus

Looking right in front and well up past us

Here are a few pics we snapped along the way. Unfortunately right at the end of the cruise where they park and eat refreshments and raffle off some goodies the rains started up again. Since all of my kids had JUST fallen asleep, we elected to keep rolling and aimed the Bus back towards home for the afternoon. Before leaving I handed my raffle ticket off to a friend, and got a text later that night that both he and I had one picnic baskets.

The gathering at the end

Cool abstract looking photo

And the loot

All in all the Bus did pretty well and we had a nice long drive over the days duration. It did feel a little down on power on the way home compared to how it did in the morning, which made the drive out of Fredericksburg back on the hills, and again out on I-10 with its 75mph speed limit not as much enjoyable. Ran fine, but the hills felt big and long LOL. Could have just been a perception from the fatigued driver ready to get home though... I need to give the engine a once over to see if maybe the points needs some adjusting or something. Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Nice trip, thanks for sharing!

Your 2L would have crushed those hills. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Nice trip, thanks for sharing!

Your 2L would have crushed those hills. Wink

Glad you enjoyed it... and oh, I know. I was thinking about that 2L all the way home Laughing

Speaking of the 2L, I'm starting to fiddle with it again. I have a few small changes planned that I think will fix what I didn't care for in the combo. We'll see.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Well I managed to get my new BusDepot canvas installed in the Bus this weekend. What a job that was! My fingers are still sore from messing around with what seemed like the million screws on the bottom trim rails LOL. And the corners, what a PAIN (especially the front ones!!!).

Anyways, you all saw the replacement wood frame I put into this "new" pop top I installed some while back. I honestly hadn't touched the top since getting all that together, but I finally went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new canvas so I could wrap that up. I ended up getting the BusDepot branded canvas, and so far I am pleased with it. Seems like it is good quality, and the price is nice compared to the Westfalia branded one. The windows are huge, the color (I opted for the original yellow color) looks great, and the fit was right on.

I started everything out by pulling the top off the Bus so I could flip it on some saw horses in the garage and start the canvas install there.

After removing the top from the Bus, I had to get all the old adhesive the PO had used on their home-made top off of the Bus where the canvas meets the roof. That was quite a chore. A lot of it came off pretty easily, but some of it was REALLY stuck on. A combination of a scraper, rubbing alcohol, and brake clean (used very carefully) got everything clean again. An example of some of what I was dealing with.

Getting there...

All buttoned down and tucked in for the night outside

After the sun went down I moved into the garage to start working on the canvas. First I removed all the hold downs and rear support mounts from the frame. I took some measurements and made a few markings on the frame so I could locate the holes for them when I reinstalled after the canvas was attached. That was a helpful move. After that, I unpacked the canvas and started to lay it out.

As the instructions recommended, I started working from the middle out. Found the center of the canvas and aligned that with the center of the pop top frame. Did this for the front and back, then followed by the sides.

From there I worked out to the corners, putting in about 6 staples on each side/end. These staples went directly into the canvas and the wood frame initially for these first locating staples. Once this was done and everything was well positioned, I started running the new tack strip and fully stapling it in. I started the tack strip on center in the very front of the frame. As I stapled around I eventually made it back and overlapped the start of the tack strip by a couple of inches.

The stapler I used (shown above) was a pneumatic stapler made by Bostich. Picked it up off amazon for just under $40. It uses T50 staples and really did a great job (will also shoot brad nails, so I'm sure I'll find more uses for it in the future!). All in all it worked well, and although I did have to go back over and tap in fully some of the staples, it seemed to have plenty of power.

Here is a few shots of the tack strip all around.

All in all that took me about an hour and a half or so. Not too bad, but it did help to have some extra hands holding the canvas back in a few places while stapling (thanks honey!).

After the canvas was in the pop top latches and support bar mounts went back in. Kind of an uneasy feeling screwing the latches and mounts all back in putting holes in the brand new canvas.

After all that was done, I rolled up the canvas to be ready for the reinstall in the morning. Not shown, but I also put some blue painters tape on the canvas to hold it up when we flipped the top to put it back on the Bus.

Oh yea, I also installed a rear pop top seal from BD. Nice part and a good fit.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:31 am; edited 4 times in total
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

The next morning I started early as I knew the remainder of the job would be better completed while it was still cool. My super wife helped me get the top back up on the roof and remounted. Then I started unrolling the canvas to see how it would fit.

Having to start by stapling the canvas in to the top first, its hard to know exactly how much of the canvas to fold over and staple into the frame, as it directly effects the overall height of the walls. I took a guess and went at it, and from the first judgement after getting the top on the roof, it appeared that I didn't get it too short, but it was going to be pretty taunt. Especially around the front and rear corners (those could have been a touch looser).

As with putting the canvas into the top frame, you start in the center of the front and rear of the canvas when attaching to the roof, and work your way out. Once I got the front and rear attached, I started on the sides, and again worked from the center out.

For the install I ordered a box of new square drive screws to use instead of the old philips ones. They theoretically will take more torque than philips, and shouldn't strip as easy. I still managed to round off about 6 of them in the process (not bad odds ehh? LOL), but I replaced them if/when it happened so I wouldnt have to deal with it some time later.

Here are the tools I used. I actually ended up using the 1/4 drive ratchet setup on most all of them, as it was easier to use than the screwdriver (I could have stood to have shorter square drive bits too).

Overall the canvas to roof joint wasn't too bad. The biggest issue is the corners. They are TOUGH to do in general, and with my canvas being a little extra taunt, it made it that much worse. Of course I had the top slightly lowered when attaching the canvas to the roof, and periodically popped it up to check progress and fit. Here is some finalized shots of the lower canvas junction. As recommended in the instructions, I did clip the plastic beading on the bottom of the canvas in the corners to help them bend around. Pretty straight forward overall, just a handful.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

That process again took about 2 hours or so. Glad I started when it was cool, and I parked the bus in the shade too, as it gets warm in there quick otherwise. Here are some finished pictures.

Interior:

And some exterior shots

As I mentioned, mine came out pretty taunt (hopefully not too much so). The overall alignment of the canvas turned out good in the end, with the windows looking parallel with the body lines, and the canvas being for the most part nice and smooth down each side (not 100% perfect, but really good IMO). As far as the tautness, the corners are the tightest areas of the canvas (especially the rear corners). The long sides are about perfect I'd say. Overall I really like the top. The windows are huge, the color looks really nice, and the zippers/velcro appears to be well built.

Hopefully the next project will be getting a continental bed built up there for the kids. They'll love that!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Looking good!
’65 Deluxe Build
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

Hopefully the next project will be getting a continental bed built up there for the kids. They'll love that!

I think I'm going to try to do the same thing on my '70 Westy. Though I'm 6'2" and probably won't be sleeping up there.
Here's the link I'm following for the bed.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...mp;start=0
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Yea I'm pretty tall at 6'5" myself, so the continental bed isn't for me either LOL. Kids should love it though.

I've been sifting through that same thread getting info and ideas.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: