Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

unfortunately for me yes it went with the 1600. But i have plans already to do something about it. It rhymes with Turbo EFI for anybody wondering.. Laughing

If you'd agree and or have any interest i can keep posting the life of the bus here..
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Oh the pain! I hope it went with the 1600 and not the 2084...
’65 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

We'll I guess I better update this thread to put some closure on things. A little over three weeks ago I said goodbye to this wonderful Westy. Sad

It was a little tougher than I imagined seeing it get loaded up and drive away, but alas its going on to make another family happy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Owning this Bus was a great experience and a fun project, but after having it up and running around for a little over a year, it was more evident then ever that a camper was just not real conducive to how WE used the Bus. Now that I had gotten to the "end" of the project, I felt it was time to move on and try to find something that fit my family better in how we use it. Farewell my friend. Hope you have many more fun filled miles in store ahead!

Now don't go and shed too many tears for me, as I already have something in the works to ease the pain and fill the empty space in the garage. The old '67 T1 was starting to get lonely in there Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Sounds great!

I'm sure your but would get around just fine with the 1600 in it. Wink

Yea, hp per lb would be a lot better in the Bug, that's for sure. We'll see I guess... Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Sounds great!

I'm sure your but would get around just fine with the 1600 in it. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Not necessarily related to the westy, but I last wrote about it here. I finally got around to dialing in some changes on the 2084 I had built. Changes were primarily with the valve train, including higher quality 1.4 rocker shafts, and loosing the chromolly pushrods in favor of HD aluminum ones. Test run and adjustments seem to yield a much quieter motor. Its no stocker for sure, but the engine mechanical noise is much improved from where it was previously. I'm glad I finally got it where I wanted it. This engine is far from being my first big build, but this one probably gave me the most trouble that I can recall from the recent past. Got quite a few more hard learned tips and tricks in my arsenal now.

I'm still debating whether I'm going to bite the bullet and put it in the Bus, or just end up throwing it in my Beetle for now. One option is a lot less work than the other Laughing

For those who are interested:

Link

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

So I can confirm that when the canvas is installed, the cot frame doesn't get anywhere near the roof Laughing

Pretty quick install (which was nice, as its been blazing hot around here lately). Once I got it up, I had several little ones that wanted to test is for me. They had a blast.

(I tried to keep my ugly mug out of this pic, but there is just only so much room LOL)

I ended up putting the rubber bumper on the front portion of the roof to keep it supported up some when its folded and put away. That seemed like the most logical spot, and I think I can just make it out in khalimadeath's pics above. Glad to have that confirmation. I'm wonding if that is something that was started in later year models by Westfalia, as mine didn't have a hole drilled for it. Nothing like drilling holes in the roof Shocked

Hopefully the temps will back off here pretty soon. Most of my driving has been the short little odd trips here and there. Otherwise its just been too warm to be enjoyable for everyone to load up and go somewhere.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
Hey VWnut

I'm replying in case you didn't see my edit. I think you replied while I had the window open still. My edit was way after you replied. You will be good to go once you get the cot on there.

Nice! Thanks for the info Hikelite!

I didn't see your edit earlier until you posted again. The thought about the canvas being the limiter came to mind when I was replying to you originally. Thanks for the confirmation!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Hey VWnut

I'm replying in case you didn't see my edit. I think you replied while I had the window open still. My edit was way after you replied. You will be good to go once you get the cot on there.

My 1968 Campmobile
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Quote:
Mine was located on the passenger side of the roof to support the bars when folded.

When you folded your cot out, did the outer bar just lay on the roof skin up front when fully opened like this? That is why I thought the stopper might be to support this bar. Wasn't sure if it was just supposed to lay on the roof skin.

I don't think mine touches. Pretty sure the hinge/support limits the travel of that bar. I'll go out there and look again.

Any pics you could take would be helpful. Mine opens all the way and will allow the bar to touch the roof skin, so that is why I thought the rubber bumper might be needed.

I don't know what else would stop the cot frame from opening any more other than maybe the canvas itself limiting how far it opens?

Thanks for the response!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Quote:
Mine was located on the passenger side of the roof to support the bars when folded.

When you folded your cot out, did the outer bar just lay on the roof skin up front when fully opened like this? That is why I thought the stopper might be to support this bar. Wasn't sure if it was just supposed to lay on the roof skin.

I don't think mine touches. Pretty sure the hinge/support limits the travel of that bar. I'll go out there and look again.

EDIT: I went out and looked. It's the cot material that keeps the bar off the roof of the bus. I knew it wouldn't push all the way down, but I couldn't recall why. Once you get your cot material installed, you will be fine. Smile

My 1968 Campmobile

Last edited by Hikelite on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Quote:

67 Beetle (TBD)

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Best pics I have..

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Picked up an upper bunk/cot frame this weekend for the Westy. Decided to go original versus the continental bed, as I'm more expecting camping trips to be just me and my boy versus the whole family. Got a new canvas for it on the way from Bus Depot.

The only thing I'm not sure of, is the location of the rubber stopper that was included with the hardware. Is it supposed to be screwed to the roof to support the outer cot bar up off the front roof skin? I can't find any original hole in my Bus where I thin ok this should have gone. Maybe it was added on later westys?

This is the most logical location, as it would keep the frame off the roof.

Any ideas here guys?

67 Beetle (TBD)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

Looking tight!
’65 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Haven't posted here in a while, so I thought I'd throw out an update. Overall its been kind of quiet with the Westy. Since my canvas install I bought and sold a 78 transporter which took up a lot of my free time, add to that the fact that its been raining cats and dogs down here lately, leaves the Westy not getting out of the garage much except for short runs here and there.

I did enjoy a nice cruise into work yesterday. Schools out now so morning traffic is reduced considerably, and the weather has finally seemed to get back to somewhat normal. As such, I enjoyed a nice slow cruise into work.

A shot from the office

The other mile stone I ran across last month was 1 year of ownership of the 68. Its always fun to go look back through photos and see how far things have come. A few before and after's

Other than that, not much to report. Still running around on the 1600 with the dual 40 HPMX's. The 2L motor is still sitting on the stand in the garage. I've got some different rockers and pushrods to try in it, but so far haven't gotten motivated to do it. I've also been collecting EFI parts again for my Megasquirt collection. Just about have everything needed to 'squirt something. Whether it will be the 67 T1 again, or maybe give the Westy a turn, anyones guess at the moment LOL

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
What keeps cracking me up is your bus becomes more and more what I picture I want my bus to look like. We were debating for months on what color canvas to use and finally decided on that yellow material. We also wanted to do the continental upper bed except I was planning on being the one to sleep up there. I hope it is somewhat comfy. I'm 6' 168lbs.

Yea we debated the beige vs yellow color quite a bit, but originality of the yellow is what ultimately swayed me to it.

I'm sure you could get a bed built up for you. I've got a little more size (both height and weight) on you, so I'm going to stick to the lower bed LOL

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
The canvas looks great!

The kids will love the bed up there. Mine calls it the "tree house" and spends more time up there than in the bottom. Very Happy

Thanks sir! I'm betting my kids will be the same way.

67 Beetle (TBD)

beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

What keeps cracking me up is your bus becomes more and more what I picture I want my bus to look like. We were debating for months on what color canvas to use and finally decided on that yellow material. We also wanted to do the continental upper bed except I was planning on being the one to sleep up there. I hope it is somewhat comfy. I'm 6' 168lbs.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 68 Westy Reply with quote

The canvas looks great!

The kids will love the bed up there. Mine calls it the "tree house" and spends more time up there than in the bottom. Very Happy

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: