Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Bay windshield
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: 71 Bay windshield Reply with quote

Searching for a replacement for my 71 windshield,A CLEAR replacement.The safelite folks had only green tint with the blue glare bar at the top.This is getting frustrating.Any sources you guys have?Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay windshield Reply with quote

the "tint" is kind of unavoidable these days. the "bar" across the top is called a shade line. find one without a shade line.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay windshield Reply with quote

the clear clear ones are probably going to be cheap Chinese with distortion. You might look for a green tint without the shade line. The benefit is that it has less glare and not as much heat comes thru on hot days. Call around to other than safelite.

I saw this ad http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1788643
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay windshield Reply with quote

I have green tint on some of my side widows, and no tint anywhere else. I don't really notice it unless I take a really nicely lit photo from the side. Some people here know how picky I am too....

I say go for the better quality green over the clear that doesn't fit correctly.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay windshield Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the clear clear ones are probably going to be cheap Chinese with distortion. You might look for a green tint without the shade line.

I saw this ad http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1788643

If you look closely at the bottom of the stickers on the glass it says "Made in China".
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay windshield Reply with quote

I just put this windshiled in my crew cab. I had a local glass shop order it. IIRC, it was about $130 and I paid $70 for them to install it. I bought the seal years ago but I think it was a West Coast Metric seal. I wasn't there for the installation but they said it went in easily with no grinding required. It is lightly tinted but no heavy tint strip across the top. Absolutely no distortion that I can see. No leaks, fits well. I am very happy with it. Here is some good reading on the topic:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=655586&highlight=windshield
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650764&highlight=windshield

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay windshield Reply with quote

I have installed several of the FW 00201 type, with a minor tint overall and no shade stripe. All no problem, and under $100 apiece.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay windshield Reply with quote

i just had a cheap Chinese windshield put in last week. I see no issue with it except that I can tell it's thinner. no tinting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay windshield Reply with quote

I had the PGW (tinted, no stripe) installed 6 years ago. The bus lives outside 24/7. I have had no problems with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay windshield Reply with quote

I had a windshield installed in a car yesterday. The glass tech said he's aware of no USA companies making windshield glass anyone. They all sold out to either the Chinese or Koreans. He said most of the glass he get to install in cars today is made in China.

Sad..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: