Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice needed on new transmission install
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

Hello, there. Some of you may remember my needing a transmission a couple years ago. Well, the time's come to finally press the button and get it done. I haven't been driving the van that much so things never became too awful but in about a month I'll be driving from Portland, Oregon to Vermont to be my dad's end of life caregiver. He's got around four months left.

I'm definitely going with a new/rebuilt from either German Transaxle in Bend, or AA up in Duvall, WA. (I'll take your opinions on both of these if you want to give them!) Smile

What I'm unsure of though is whether to have a local shop ship out my current tranny and do the install or just drive to either Bend or Duvall and have them do it. (I have friends in Bend I could stay with but not the case in Duvall.)

Because I'll be essentially getting a new trans and then hitting the road for 3,000 miles I'm wondering if the drive from Bend/Duvall back to Portland before leaving will be a good test run to see if things feel or sound okay. (I know I'd then have to take it back to the place but at least Bend is on the way to Vermont..).

What do you think??

Thank you & Happy New Year.

Vermont Girl

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

Automatic or manual?

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

4 speed manual. Here's my original thread..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594032&highlight=

**I'm not looking at whether or not to get new or buy used, that's been worked out. Just wondering what some local people might think of getting it installed from local shop or going to actual place (not more than 3.5 hours from Portland) to have it done.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new ransmission install Reply with quote

I'd do the German Transaxle/Bend deal. Having the rebuild shop do the install could eliminate any possible future warranty issues. Since your friends live in Bend, that makes the process infinitely easier to deal with... and it's a nicer drive back/forth. Maybe get in some skiing/boarding time? I think your idea of a shakedown return trip is okay, of course more miles and varied terrain would be ideal but I doubt you'd have a problem no matter which way you choose to go. Sorry to hear about your Dad.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

I would have the transmission builders also do the install...they have first hand knowledge of their product and will be more likely to take the time to install a quality unit for you. Plus, probably lower cost for you since you won't be paying shipping.

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

Give Harley at Peacevans a call.
I have worked with them and they can easily help you out with the R&R of a transmission.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

Dang, just called German Transaxle and their prices have gone way up since last year. AA seems much cheaper.. Hmmmmm.

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

There is a good chance neither rebuilder does installs. And AA from what I hear is very backed up and probably wouldn't have time anyway. They may or may not have one on the shelf ready to ship though.

I would recommend German Transaxle of those two. If they would put it in for you that is what I would do. Otherwise, you need to work with your local shop and they may have their own ideas of where to get a transaxla. You could suggest German or Rancho, but if they are going to warrantee the work, they usually want to use their own source. Lots of things can go wrong from simple seals leaking to major failure so you want a local shop that you trust that will stand behind it.

But it is pretty straight forward change out and not reallhy that expensive when you consider it a once every 15 year repair.

Dave
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

Rancho is also who Busdepot uses.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1306965

I see what you mean about prices have gone up a couple hundred bucks over the past couple years and core charge up a couple hundred too.

If AA has one sitting on the shelf, that might be the cheapest way if they will sell you one outright for 1095 +$500 core charge. His prices haven't gone up, or maybe the website isn't updated. They could probably recommend a local shop to do the install so driving up to Seattle area wouldn't be bad. But if you better make sure he has one sitting on the shelf, delays there have been legendary.

Don't plan on getting anything for your old one. If you have to ship it back, I wouldn't even bother. BTDT

Last edited by davevickery on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

Define "way up" because we are talking vanagons here Smile A few hundred dollars in the long run doesn't mean much.

Considering the long term... IF * you have a problem in the future with the transmission that needs to be addressed, where will it be easier to go? If you go with AA in Duval, you'd have to go up there again, and again not have/know anyone up there. The fact that you have people in Bend kinda seals the deal in my opinion.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

$1,395 for the transmission itself.

$500 R&R

$700 if core is bad

$249 if clutch needs replacing (just a new one put in with my engine rebuild Nov 2013)

= $2,844 (with new clutch)

Shocked

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

Price should not be the deciding factor....read some current transmission threads.
Save up for ALL...NEW...internals...installed by a professional.

Same deal as with your engine some time ago...if you are not prepared to do it properly, and have a professional do it...get a used and tested unit to get you by and keep saving for a total rebuild.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

I totally agree, Insycro. It has to happen. I'm more just surprised on the price change from when I talked to them last year.. but not too surprised. If only my income had that kind of inflation!

I appreciate everyone's advice. So many decisions to make right now, my head might explode.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

Rebuilders are really busy as of late, check timelines for sure.

Gary Zink has been doing Van transmissions for many years and he is reputably too.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

we just bought a rebuilt auto from GT. damn they are nice. they built a custom performance trans for us in 1 day. expensive but the 4 year warrantee is awfully cool.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

I would buy all new parts and choose the one that can do it the quickest based on your time on the end of the Journey.

All above I have heard are good. I have mine with Tom Lengal right now, very reputable but very booked out.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

If the first three rebuilders mentioned above are out of your time/price parameters, you could try Arizone Transaxle. He has done good work for people as well.

Hans
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
If the first three rebuilders mentioned above are out of your time/price parameters, you could try Arizona Transaxle.

AZ Trans, last I read, was 2 months out, unless they happen to have one on the shelf ready to go. Worth inquiring with them though: (602) 269-1444.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

Given the situation and given your location, I would definitely call Tom Lengyel. He's down your way (Aurora, OR), does top notch work and he does full extractions and installs. PM me if you need his number.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
MURRAYMW1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on new transmission install Reply with quote

I did German in Bend last year for a 4 spd manual. One day R&R because they had a trans-axle on the shelf. Good service, good advice, good warranty. Brought it back for required inspection at I think 500 miles, may have been 1,000. Might be a minor issue if you are going to hit the road. Price ... I chose to pay the price for known quality and replace it on my schedule instead of waiting for a failure. My core was good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: