Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Avenger and Aztec base reproduction kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
impaleale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After almost being done with my currant buggy looking at your kit makes me cringe. That looks like way more work than I would ever want to do and in the end it's still a VW. To top it off it's getting harder to register these cars. If you could do the formula Vee and make it street legal that would be great! It looks like it would be a fun cheap build. Not a lot of guys or gals spend their weekends in the garage anymore. We are a white collar nation that play with computers and have pipe dreams of granger. If you can make a direct bolt up kit that's the way to go.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget the terrible seating position, minimal head room, and terrible ergonomics of these old designs....
Dreamridergarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
Are there really no new ideas?! I never understood the expectations for 'New Old Chit'.

How many people (with the cash - you cannot go to the bank with this title) want a car that you have to fall out of that makes louder fan and valve noise than exhaust?

I understand it's easier to glom onto someone else's supposed success, but unless it is with herculean effort - like perhaps Superformance, forget it.

But even at this top end, where nearly everybody on the planet knows/loves the Cobra there's a wide selection of completed cars available at the factory and I'd bet a large batch on the secondary market. Which likely means both get discounted heavily. (like that dumbass GM Volt ..they're bringing out a new model with 6,000 of the first model still unsold)

I think you'd be smarter to open a Pizza joint in New Jersey ..even if you speak with an East Asian accent and don't answer the phone 5-times-a-day.

Jim

a bit of racist comment dont u think?
Dreamridergarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impaleale wrote:
After almost being done with my currant buggy looking at your kit makes me cringe. That looks like way more work than I would ever want to do and in the end it's still a VW. To top it off it's getting harder to register these cars. If you could do the formula Vee and make it street legal that would be great! It looks like it would be a fun cheap build. Not a lot of guys or gals spend their weekends in the garage anymore. We are a white collar nation that play with computers and have pipe dreams of granger. If you can make a direct bolt up kit that's the way to go.

this 2 cars are bolt up , just un screw the 6 (or Cool bolt of the beetle out and put this thing on , then it is.(abit of wiring work but not that much) but i understand what you say not a garage time anymore.
Dreamridergarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitcarguy wrote:
I have seen your progress on instagram and have commented that there is no real market for these. Ask Dan at FF US, Sterling Sports Cars, and countless others how this worked out for them?

I love the Aztec. I think its a great car but they are dated and whatnot.

You can get a spanking new 818 Coupe from Factory five for $12,000 and all you need is to supply a single donor car. You will have a new tech car for $20,000 assuming you can do they work yourself.

i can't even contact Dan FF.US for the headlight cover , might be already out of biz?
Dreamridergarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Lets not forget the terrible seating position, minimal head room, and terrible ergonomics of these old designs....

true , the seat is terrible , now we are designing a new seat for the car , should be a but higher up from ground but have to tilt to the back more... terrible
martinprice2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the USA market, but here in the UK, the kit car industry is still going. It was almost decimated by very strict regulation (SVA and IVA tests), but is still going today and new kits do appear every year. There are many magazines dedicated to the hobby.

There hasn't been a car based on a VW chassis for years, but if you do make one there is an exemption here if the chassis remains unmodified. This is classed as a body conversion and there is just a simple check to confirm the vehicle identity and no strict testing.

I do however think that your choice of a performance looking car wont have much of a market on the VW chassis, however if you developed a more off road looking car there would be as there is still an enthusiastic "Baja and Buggy" scene in both the UK and USA.

I really like the flip top center tub, maybe just change the front and rear shells for something a little more "Off Road". I'm thinking of a design something like the "Rally Fighter" made by Local Motors your side of the pond.
Dreamridergarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinprice2004 wrote:
I can't comment on the USA market, but here in the UK, the kit car industry is still going. It was almost decimated by very strict regulation (SVA and IVA tests), but is still going today and new kits do appear every year. There are many magazines dedicated to the hobby.

There hasn't been a car based on a VW chassis for years, but if you do make one there is an exemption here if the chassis remains unmodified. This is classed as a body conversion and there is just a simple check to confirm the vehicle identity and no strict testing.

I do however think that your choice of a performance looking car wont have much of a market on the VW chassis, however if you developed a more off road looking car there would be as there is still an enthusiastic "Baja and Buggy" scene in both the UK and USA.

I really like the flip top center tub, maybe just change the front and rear shells for something a little more "Off Road". I'm thinking of a design something like the "Rally Fighter" made by Local Motors your side of the pond.

A bit of tube frame structure bolt to chassis will classified as modification? or we didn't cut off the chassis = no modification , that way it should go good in UK!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you the best in your attempted endeavor, but believe that you will find an extremely limited audience for your product.

You never have said where you are located.

bnc
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan at ff was selling the company years ago because his wife was really sick. If I recall he wanted $175k for the molds to a few cars, the frame tooling, etc. The website has not been updated since 2012. I tried to get him to sell off certain things but he claimed he had several Interested parties . 3 years later and he has fallen off the radar.

And keep in mind. Dan was selling a Valkyrie with a tube chassis and big motor option and could not make it work. There is just not enough demand
Dreamridergarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
I wish you the best in your attempted endeavor, but believe that you will find an extremely limited audience for your product.

You never have said where you are located.

bnc

im in thailand , the rule and regulation of car is quite same as UK but we cannot register a new custom make car , the VW chassis is the solution , or else other car chassis but most of the chassis here are japanese and it front engine.

Here and around here have lot of junk VW and lot of VW builder. With good price it might hit market but seeing example of every corner around the world , problem , solution , the way kit cars goes and everything else first might be a best way to find safest way to start selling this thing without killing myself in future.

ps. but if the shipping price permit , i can ship everywhere tho.

Last edited by Dreamridergarage on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Dreamridergarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitcarguy wrote:
Dan at ff was selling the company years ago because his wife was really sick. If I recall he wanted $175k for the molds to a few cars, the frame tooling, etc. The website has not been updated since 2012. I tried to get him to sell off certain things but he claimed he had several Interested parties . 3 years later and he has fallen off the radar.

And keep in mind. Dan was selling a Valkyrie with a tube chassis and big motor option and could not make it work. There is just not enough demand

i see , thats y he off the map.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitcarguy wrote:

That's interesting, they used to be really strong at Carlisle over the years. I was wondering what happened. Their website was updated as of 2014, and I imagine they are still making cars since they were running a special this month.

His asking price... geez, that's funny. Dave at SSC was asking almost twice that for far less inventory. And he complained that nobody was interested...

To the original poster: Getting a chassis registered in the US that came from Thailand will be next to impossible since most states here will require a title. Even then, the import tax alone is enough to kill the sale. Body parts, maybe... there is a guy somewhere in Singapore, I think, that has made a Nova/Sterling clone and a few guys here have bought parts from him. The shipping was nearly twice what the cost of the parts were. You'll need to really consider your target market along with your shipping costs. Not that I don't want anyone to succeed in their chosen venture, but I think you are really going to be limited in where you can ship efficiently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 September 2012 is the last update on the ff website. They will have .....

"Watch for pictures of our 2013 roadster"

Dave was asking almost $400k? That is nuts. I cant even imagine Dan or Dave has done anywhere near that in revenue in the time they have owned it .
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing You need to clear your browser cache...

http://www.factoryfive.com/

At the bottom with the copyright is 2014. In their upcoming events they have '2015 schedule'.

Dave wasn't asking quite that. I'm not allowed to disclose what he was asking, but let's just say he was trying to recoup is time in the development of his tube chassis' designs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the revised 'Sterling' is not moving a lot of cars?

I no longer see kit pricing...

bnc
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Laughing You need to clear your browser cache...

http://www.factoryfive.com/

At the bottom with the copyright is 2014. In their upcoming events they have '2015 schedule'.

Dave wasn't asking quite that. I'm not allowed to disclose what he was asking, but let's just say he was trying to recoup is time in the development of his tube chassis' designs.

Dan at fiberfab.us not factory five hahahaha. Factory five is a multi million dollar company. Fiberfab and ssc not so.much lol
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Yah, that would make a diffeence! FF vs FF....

Brian, no, Dave at SSC is no longer selling complete kits, only replacement parts. I think in the ten years he's had the company, I don't think he's ever sold a complete "kit" in the sense. A few full bodies, more than a few chassis, both VW and tube, and quite a few parts. He never did build roller minus versions.. too much liability.
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Laughing Yah, that would make a diffeence! FF vs FF....

Brian, no, Dave at SSC is no longer selling complete kits, only replacement parts. I think in the ten years he's had the company, I don't think he's ever sold a complete "kit" in the sense. A few full bodies, more than a few chassis, both VW and tube, and quite a few parts. He never did build roller minus versions.. too much liability.

Part of the problem with anyone trying to revive an old kit car company is sterling, fiberfab, Bradley, autokit (invader gt) or whatever sold 1000s of cars. There will obviously be a market for replacement parts of some kind but not the dated old bodies. I can buy the I Vader gt molds today if I wanted them but for what? I can get invaders a dime a dozen if I wanted them.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

856. Unofficially. That's how many Sterlings were produced, not counting the handful over the past years from other companies. Dave has sold new bodies. They are much straighter than the originals and better put together, simply due to the advance in fiberglass composites. There is a market, but a very limited one. If I was younger and raced, I'd do a tube chassis with a new body one it with electric power... I hate to cut up a "classic" body - too many have been lost already.

Now, back to the original poster's thread Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: