Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar Panel Wire + Water = Corrosion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Solar Panel Wire + Water = Corrosion Reply with quote

Hi all.

The issue could be installer error on my part, but
IMO, if one mounts a solar panel with this type of wire exposed, they might be wise to seal sheath where wires enter.

Further to corrosion I found at wires themselves, found more inside the controller. The controller has failed. Failure could be due to corrosion or me taking vehicle into daylight with controller connected, no load. d-oh. (was working on the van)

https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/SolarPanelInstall#5909500018535843442

I'd asked the vendor if there was any issue with mounting the controller upside down. He said "no" so I did so adding new labels. The only issue I can think of, in hindsight, is water ingress. Had I mounted it right side up, water likely wouldn't have gotten in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
OhChit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Maybe you can replace the solar mounted charge unit with a fixed inside of the Van charge controller there cheap enough. I'm sure your solar panel survived.

That was one of my concerns when going solar.
and thus why I went with an installed inside of Van charge controller
with
a Portable as needed external Solar Panel not perm mounted in any one fixed location. Portable.

Also didn't want something exposed to the constant weather changes, Uv etc when mine was used so seldom.

Best of Recovery to you.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Raincouver, it really is hard to keep the water out of a Westy!

Here's a decent deal on Amazon for a configurable charge controller with digital display:

http://www.amazon.com/EPsolar-Viewstar-VS2024BN-Battery-Controller/dp/B00N4PTJWI

This unit is the one that came with my Renogy 100W folding panel, so I have experience with it. Mainly, it lets you know what your system is actually doing. It is totally configurable (so that you can custom tailor the charge process to what your battery likes) and reads out all kinds of useful as well as nerdy information.

By the way, most charge controllers do need to allow cooling air to flow through them by convection to cool the electronics. I think the tech who advised you was incorrect about an upside-down mounting.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been away camping. Sorry for the late reply.

re: cooling. The unit was mounted with plenty of room around it but I get what you mean; the back of the unit, or the entire unit itself, may allow air to flow better when mounted right side up.

Hopefully my initial post wasn't misleading, but the controller was (and is), installed inside the van.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Johns '58 pan Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Death Wobbles, '58 pan Manx Dune Buggy Reply with quote

DEATH WOBBLES possible CAUSE
Here's a new one for me...
My Dune Buggy has the Death Wobbles and I have tried everything to fix it... then I spun the tire, noted a high spot on the right front. So I dismounted and re mounted the tire at 1/5 turn.
I found that the BRAKE DRUM was spinning with a high spot! wow. The Break Drum is manufactured WRONG! The center was bored correct with the shoe surface, but Not centered with the Lug Bolts! You can actually SEE the mis-bored hub OFF CENTER !! Lug bolts are off from that dimension by a whopping 1/16th inch.
POW! There's my Death Wobbles!
All of the parts are rebuilt or new, nice tight and right everything... the balance is good and alignment all done, steering box adjusted nice, new sway bar. None of that changed the death wobbles! At 55 mph it would start and get violent, then go smooth on new blacktop, then the death wobbles would come back.
I have new break drums on the way, fingers crossed that was the only thing left it could be!
I hope this helps you guy's out!
Check this before you spend a ton of money!
These drums look so old, I think this has been a problem for this VW for a very long time!

Good Luck too all of you, I love my Dune Buggy, and hope to do a smooth 70 mph!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: