Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cb 2280 cam and ratio rocker
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Cb 2280 cam and ratio rocker Reply with quote

I will be helping a friend to build his mild 1776 engine, he will be using dual port heads mildly ported stock valves, cb cheater cam, dual 40idf, 1 3/8 headers and muffler
Will the engine benefit if we will add 1.25 rockers? Will it be compatible to the cheater cam?
Thanks! What are the pros and cons?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go more radical on the cam instead.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that cam is pretty small, CB have a bunch of cams for mild small displacement engines.

Any of these cams would be a better choice
http://www.cbperformance.com/searchresults.asp?cat=186

But yes you can run 1.25 rockers with the 2280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the whole purpose of the "Cheater" cam is to retain the stock carb. If you are not going to do that, then there are far better cam options out there.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bearwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parts are already there, we dont want to spend more to replace cam, my question is, are we just going to leave the cheater cam alone and not install the 1.25 ratio rockers? is it worth the effort of valve geometry adjustment?
thanks
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really must keep that cam, yes - go for ratio rockers.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock rockers
I tried it once and the only thing noticeable was more racket.

use a web 218!!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would deepend on whoo what where and when and what else you have/doo to it. if it just makes more racquett you might want to find a new line of work Shocked Rolling Eyes
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I guess it would deepend on

so how deaf are you?

Vw is a great car for the hearing impaired LOL

cheater is a LOW rpm cam. Tractor.
do tractors need high valve lifts? usually no
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheater cam is too tame for the rest of the stuff. Anything that makes it wilder would be a benefit. I guess ratio rockers will not make it an Engle 120, but I would definitely want to try it.
The basic problem is a bad choice of cam.
bearwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will i shorten the pushrods? If yes, how much? Is it worth the effort? Hp gains?
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably have to shorten the pushrods but its impossible to know how much without doing a mock up first. Worth it? well you have to do the work to set up rocker geometry anyway, so why not use the 1.25's. But that cam doesn't have enough duration to get the power out of a 1776 with 40 idf's
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
I guess it would deepend on

so how deaf are you?

Vw is a great car for the hearing impaired LOL

cheater is a LOW rpm cam. Tractor.
do tractors need high valve lifts? usually no
just enough to be able to hear when somebody has a afu valvetrain and has gone off the deepend.witch is usualy when they realy dont have a effing clue as to what there baballing or doing. is that deff enough.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will 1,25 rockers aid in performance with a 2280 cam ?
Answer to that is yes, - if the heads flow decent. The 2280 is a under rated cam in more than one way.
If the heads flow well, the 1,25īs will aid in both hp and torque from about 2500 rpm & up. Also it will extend the power band with about 250 rpm.
Wrt the valve train rattle I kinda agree and then not. I have noticed several times that there is no need to run 0,10/0,15 mm lash with that cam, -. and other cams too (with ally PRīs that is.)
Also, if you set the DCR after the added lift you can gain even more torque.
The claims of 88-95 hp on 1800 cc engines with this cam is not overrated when the engine is done right.

T
pedmick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb 2280 cam and ratio rocker Reply with quote

I have a 2280 cam and 1.25:1 rockers on my 1968cc single port. I can't stand the valve train chatter. I think I'm going to try 1.1:1 to see if it helps. I can sacrifice the minimal hp gains...
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb 2280 cam and ratio rocker Reply with quote

Adjust the side travel on the rocker arms, use Ally PRīs and do a proper valve tolerance adjustment. End of story.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cb 2280 cam and ratio rocker Reply with quote

pedmick wrote:
I have a 2280 cam and 1.25:1 rockers on my 1968cc single port. I can't stand the valve train chatter. I think I'm going to try 1.1:1 to see if it helps. I can sacrifice the minimal hp gains...

PS. just came to mind. - If you are using the Mazda style adjusters they will aid in valve train noise too. Use the Porsche style instead.
pedmick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cb 2280 cam and ratio rocker Reply with quote

Good call! I am using Mazda style adjusters. I'm never totally convinced that I adjust the lash on the flat part of the ball. I also switched to CB HD aluminum pushrods. I'll take another look at the rocker side clearance...seems to "loosen up" on its own.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cb 2280 cam and ratio rocker Reply with quote

I would just tighten the side play to .002"~ .004" and be sure the rocker geo is right or close to right.if using the oe pushrods style tips they can bind in the rocker and cause a false lash setting. I would leave the mazda lash adjusters. and use at least 2 .020" or thicker hard shims on the thrust side of each rocker.shims under .015" should only be used on the non thrust side of the rocker.or between 2 thick shims, and only hardened shims should be used. do not ever use serrated valve spring shims. if you have the spring clips& springs get rid of them. I suppose non hardenend shims can be used on the non thrust side, but I wouldn't unless it was a emergency or testing.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cb 2280 cam and ratio rocker Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I would just tighten the side play to .002"~ .004" and be sure the rocker geo is right or close to right.if using the oe pushrods style tips they can bind in the rocker and cause a false lash setting. I would leave the mazda lash adjusters. and use at least 2 .020" or thicker hard shims on the thrust side of each rocker.shims under .015" should only be used on the non thrust side of the rocker.or between 2 thick shims, and only hardened shims should be used. do not ever use serrated valve spring shims. if you have the spring clips& springs get rid of them. I suppose non hardenend shims can be used on the non thrust side, but I wouldn't unless it was a emergency or testing.

I go to the tight side if I possibly can. Loose zero to 0,002"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: