Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EJ25 wire connector question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
poiz87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: EJ25 wire connector question Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been doing my research and reading up on converting my '83 aircooled vanagon with a NA EJ25 from a 2001 forester. I'm about halfway on the harness and I think I may have cut 1 connector off that I wasn't supposed to. PN "A15-000R81" referenced calls it the "MAP boost pressure sensor" that connects before the MAP sensor on the wire loom. It's a 4-pin gray connector and I can't find any wiring diagram that specifies where the wires go to or what purpose it serves on a NA EJ25 motor. Only thing I've been able to find online is that it may be necessary for turbo motors only. Is this sensor necessary for the conversion to run smoothly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 wire connector question Reply with quote

My 02 2.5L harness had a couple of connectors that I just left on leaving the final harness mostly uncut. Don't remember if one was grey. Can you trace the wires from this connector? That might give you some clues as to its importance.
poiz87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 wire connector question Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Wes.

I got carried away with the harness before fitting the sensors into their proper spots and I weeded out the wires from the grey 4-pin connector to the sensor. The 4 wires to the connector are:

. Yellow/black
. Black/yellow
. Green
. Orange

I looked for these colored wires coming out of the main harness connectors to the ECU, but I'm not having any luck while cross referencing the wires on the ECU pinout diagram. It's almost like the sensor doesn't exist in the pub/wiring diagrams. And now that I cut down the harness I can't retrace the wires from where I originally cut. I could only find a pic of the sensor on ebay:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 wire connector question Reply with quote

That was not on my 02 2.5 N/A Impreza harness. Is it specific to a Forester 2.0?
Are your harness and engine from the same car? Maybe you have a 2.0 harness with a 2.5 N/A? Could not worry about it now and see what happens when you start it up.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 wire connector question Reply with quote

I see that it's stock on some Forester 2.5 N/A engines according to this EBay listing, so maybe you need it. Maybe one of the Subaru forums would be your best bet. Is your engine JDM? I see on one pic that it's mounted along with the atmosperic sensor and some reference that it's a relay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Forester-Map-Boost...3807672834
poiz87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 wire connector question Reply with quote

I bought the car as a whole, USDM in good working condition. Before I cut the harness, the atmospheric sensor was connected next to this sensor in question, part of the same loom.

Good idea, I'll look into one of the subaru forums for further info. I'll post the answer on here once I find it. I figure if there isn't a specific lead coming out of the ECU pinout for this sensor, then it's probably not needed. If nothing, I'll just continue with the process and see how it runs on startup. Thanks again for the help.
poiz87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 wire connector question Reply with quote

Just got a reply email from Mick at Busaru. He says it's not required for the vanagon conversion. Thank you Mick.
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 wire connector question Reply with quote

If memory serves me correctly that is a resistor pack for the Automatic transmission.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: