Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died. Reply with quote

I know there are a lot of people who will disagree, but try an electric pump. I replaced my stock fuel pump about 12 years ago with an electric pump and never had one ounce of trouble. The only thing I did was add a fuel pressure regulator.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died. Reply with quote

Did you put the hoses on in the right order? I've gotten them backwards before and kicked myself in the ass for hours. Just a thought

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died. Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
So if you loosen the fuel pump on the block and then tighten it again it works for a while? If that is the case I suspect the Bakelite base is compressing a little and that can bind the push rod in some situations. I suspect the pushrod is not perfectly round or not perfectly strait.

You should blow the line out between the tank and the pump. It is just a good check to make and basically free to do. A plugged line is hard on the fuel pump.

I was thinking it could be a pump without a spring on one of the check valves. They often work most of the time but every so often the check valves gets cocked a little and won't seal. You replacement pump should have ruled that out.

The electric fuel pump solution introduces more trouble. It needs a proper controlled relay so if the engine dies the pump shuts off without the key being shut off. This is important for accident safety.

Thanks...I believe the bakelite piece is the only piece in the system I have not replaced. It has been shaved a bit to ensure it doesn't swell and lock on to the rod but since loosening the pump allows the system to start working again, it may still be locking.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died. Reply with quote

Bret2094 wrote:
Did you put the hoses on in the right order? I've gotten them backwards before and kicked myself in the ass for hours. Just a thought

Bret

Nope...since the car runs great and then just does not restart, can't be crossed hoses. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died. Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised that no one has suggested making sure the tank is clean. Could it be that you are just getting little chunks of crap that is stopping everything up? Have you done the check with the line disconnected from the carb and cranking the motor to see a strong stream?

If the filter gets obstructed and makes the pump work too hard...

I could see that happening sporadically as clumps of crap break loose inside your tank - then fall to the bottom of the filter after sitting. Meaning flow is obstructed when pressurized but once it has dropped and crap clears a bit flow is back to normal.
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died. Reply with quote

Tank is very very clean. No chunks inside. I have disconnected and blown through the lines and the line out of the tank pours out fast.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died. Reply with quote

take the hoses of the fuel line and push a piece of weed trimmer line through the metal line and see what comes out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died. Reply with quote

There's a mesh screen screwed into the tank nipple at the bottom. Have you un-screwed it to see if there's garbage or something blocking fuel flow? Many times, this is the problem.

I personally wouldn't run a Euromax anything. It's pure Chinese garbage. I'd prefer a Brazilian made part over it. The best fuel pumps are original Pierburg German made fuel pumps. There are some folks that sell them rebuilt. I run them on my VW's. I've rebuilt them with NOS diaphragms and they are awesome.

If it was me, I'd unscrew that tank screen/filter under the tank. If it was clean, I'd reinstall it with a new piece of rubber fuel line to connect it to the steel line running into the tunnel AFTER I blew thru the steel line to insure it was clear to the back of the pan. I've seen the rubber hoses under there that were 20 years old and were collapsing internally. I'd also change the rubber fuel line that connects to the steel line coming out the back of the pan to the steel line into the engine compartment.

If you are sure the steel line is clear and you install the all new (good) rubber fuel hoses to the fuel pump, you need to suspect the POS pump, IF you're sure your bakelite stand isn't binding up the push rod.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died. Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
You should blow the line out between the tank and the pump

Agreed ^^^^ and while your at it pull the fuel screen out of your tank & check it out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump. Ran for 30 min and died. Reply with quote

I recently went through this same thing. mine did end up being crap in the tank. but before I figured it out i got to test the crappy fuel pump rebuild kits and an euromax pump. both failed quickly. i ended up springing for a rebuild from ed fall. He does extremely nice work and is great to deal with. vintagewerks.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: