Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

your pressures sound ok to me

look at this chart

http://acprocold.com/faq/r-134a-system-pressure-chart/

were it me, I would ignore the condenser temps and focus on the pressures. this is going to be a case of "wing it" and be solely dictated by your pressures to know if you have a full charge.

one thing you want to make sure of is that your compressor doesn't short cycle. overcharge will trip the blow off on the compressor. when that happens, it doesn't (usually) bleed off pressure till the system stabilizes...it will trip and just about empty the system

it will be interesting to see if you have any issues with the evaporator icing over. this generally isn't an issue when the evap is in the same housing as a heater core, but your system is a total recirculating system and doesn't draw in fresh air.

does your receiver/dryer have a site glass? check, because on the bock there is a dimple for the window that usually gets painted over when they make them. any bubbles means you can give it another sniff till the bubbles go away

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus - Need AC Expert Advice Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:

60 oz of r134a
high side 175PSI
low side 30PSI.
ambient 77 deg F
Inside outlet temp 46 deg F
condenser outlet air temp 106 degF
outlet pipe temp 115 deg F

If both condensor numbers above are from your last condensor, then sub-cooling is just on the low side of normal.

I would live with it, and allow a few ounces more on an experimental basis.
Colin

p.s. here is a factory 1978 2.0 with the heat dump ducts on the heater valves:

BobD Factory Ducting 2013

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you can use any earlier heater valve by removing the deflector "bell" and running commonly available "preheater" aluminum hose down to the engine carrier and plastic zip tying them:

Road Warrior Earlier Style Heater Valve Modified 2008

equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

"I've looked at Gilmore Enterprises already and all they have for the late bay's is the under dash setup. That's fine for the front passengers, but I want to cool the whole cabin."

This is one thing I never understood about buses...

A/C didn't come with them and only supplied by 3rd parties, but everything I seen to retrofit used standard automotive compressor on the engine, which has very low power as-is.

A/C is REALLY only needed for sleeping on scortching and hot days. My idea is to cut a hole through the top, especially of a later Type 2, like my 1976/77 and install a conventional RV-type retrofitted electrical A/C unit. Again, most sleeping at night and usually camped out, so use the camp site electrical....just a thought.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

it will be interesting to see if you have any issues with the evaporator icing over. this generally isn't an issue when the evap is in the same housing as a heater core, but your system is a total recirculating system and doesn't draw in fresh air.

does your receiver/dryer have a site glass? check, because on the bock there is a dimple for the window that usually gets painted over when they make them. any bubbles means you can give it another sniff till the bubbles go away

I took the bus out on a 40 mi. drive today with the compressor on full time and the fans on low, with no evaporator icing issues, although I measured vent temps at highway speed with engine probably around 3500 RPM or so at 35 deg. F. It was really cold. At idle vent temps went up to about 45 deg. F. No site glass in my R/D, unfortunately. I should also mention that my DPD unit came with this little gem, that should pretty much eliminate evaporator icing, if it were ever an issue

That switch controls compressor clutch cycling via a capillary temperature probe inside the evaporator. In the all the way off position, you can run the fans (at any speed) with no compressor. In the full on position, the compressor stays on 100% of the time, along with the fans (at any speed) for max cold air. with the switch set in the middle, the compressor cycles on/off according to the evaporator temperature, while the fans stay constant.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus - Need AC Expert Advice Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
69BahamaYellow wrote:

60 oz of r134a
high side 175PSI
low side 30PSI.
ambient 77 deg F
Inside outlet temp 46 deg F
condenser outlet air temp 106 degF
outlet pipe temp 115 deg F

If both condensor numbers above are from your last condensor, then sub-cooling is just on the low side of normal.

I would live with it, and allow a few ounces more on an experimental basis.
Colin

p.s. here is a factory 1978 2.0 with the heat dump ducts on the heater valves:

BobD Factory Ducting 2013

you can use any earlier heater valve by removing the deflector "bell" and running commonly available "preheater" aluminum hose down to the engine carrier and plastic zip tying them:

Road Warrior Earlier Style Heater Valve Modified 2008

Awesome, thanks for that!

I should share some additional test results for today. Let me know if you still think the charge level sounds right.

-Ambient temp - 78F
-Static Pressure on low and high side starts at 86PSI
Start the engine (cold) and turn on AC. engine idling. low side pressure drops to 45psi and stops there for several seconds while the gage needle occasionally bounces back up to 50psi, then drops down to 27psi and stays stable at that pressure for the next 20 minutes.
-High side goes up to 160PSI and never gets much higher.
-at this "steady state" operation with evaporator fans on high (max AC) with all windows down and side door open, evaporator vent temps are 52 degF with nice steady condensate drip from the evaporator drains.
-Condenser 1 inlet temp-115F / Outlet temp-104F, air from fans 104F
-Condenser 2 Inlet temp -104F / Outlet temp-86F, air from fans 96F
-Condenser 3 Inlet temp -86F / Outlet temp - 83F, (no fans on this one)
-Receiver Drier Surface temp-83F

All of the above was at idle speed with no engine revving, however, revving the engine up to around 3500 RPM resulted in about 10PSI low side pressure and 195PSI high side pressure, with vent temps near 35 deg F. At first this sounds like my TXV may be restricted, but since I'm measuring pressures at the compressor service ports and the evaporator is 15' away, I reckon I should be reading higher highs and lower lows when the engine revs up. Time will tell if this is normal, but this AC is flat out COLD! I'm super excited to see how it performs at 100F ambient, especially considering how poorly insulated a bus is. I'm also extremely pleased with my compressor and belt tensioner design. There is absolutely no vibration at any engine RPM or compressor load. Of course I've only seen 195psi high side pressures so far. That could all change when the high side routinely gets over 300 PSI in the summer.....
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

Also forgot to add I'm making all my temperature measurements with an infrared thermometer, so my condenser pipe temps are probably not the most accurate because of the small surface area, but my evaporator vent temps, receiver drier surface temp, and condenser fan air temps should be accurate.

Based on today's measurements and test drive, I can't decide if my system is over charged, or if I've got too much sub cooling (ie condensers working too good), or if everything is just fine, given the unconventional multi condenser design and the very long hose lengths connecting everything. If I just ignore my measured data and look at how well the system is cooling the bus overall, I'd have to say it's running perfectly well. The compressor drags very little off the engine, and it's quiet and runs very cold. Per Equinox's earlier point, I can't understand either how VW could design a vehicle with such poor ventilation, but at least dpd figured out how to make a system that works well in a bus. Since dpd was based in San Antonio, TX, they know how to design for very hot climates. Even though my system is running 134a instead of 12 refrigerant, my improved condensers and modern compressor probably more than make up for the less efficient refrigerant.

I'd still love to get some feedback from the AC experts on the forum
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I was aimlessly browsing around today, and I found exactly what I was looking for. As an idle RPM compensator, try a purge valve from some American Monstrosity. O'Reilly Auto part # CP561. It should kick your idle up 200-300 RPM when tied into the AC clutch electrical circuit. I'm not sure if it would need its own relay, or if the clutch relay would also be able to handle the load.

I found it on luftvagon's Microsquirt thread on Itinerant-Air-Cooled.

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?p=199577#p199577
luftvagon wrote:
I spent 30 minutes pondering how to mount this. At the end of the day, the best place to mount it was right on the metal fuel line. This thing is great! It works just as intended.
microsquirt has a designated Fast-Idle wire. The solenoid is powered through switched +12v, and is grounded through the microsquirt ECU designated "Fast-Idle" lead. microsquirt is configured to switch on/off the solenoid depending on the temperature of the motor.

Here is how it looks mounted in my van:

The solenoid air outlet is connected to the intake plenum stock AAR location.
The solenoid air inlet is connected to the Ford Taurus intake boot.

Here is a video of me toggling the shut-off temperature demonstrating the workings of the solenoid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wSnzav8b0

Note that luftvagon used it to replace his AAR because his Microsquirt setup allowed him to program the opening. You would just have to plumb it into the AAR hose circuit, using a few vacuum T's and maybe some new hose. That way you'll keep the stellar warm-up ability of L-Jet and have the solenoid for compressor load compensation.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

thanks for the tip on the purge valve Asiab3. That's exactly what I had in mind, and powering it off the clutch "engage" signal, just like you said. I've got plenty of power capacity in my clutch circuit for the purge valve, since my current power distribution panel is "overkill"

It's built this way, so the condenser fans can be powered off a combination of trinary pressure switch (in the receiver drier) and even a refrigerant temperature switch on separate circuits, so that the condenser fans don't have to cycle so much. I'm not sure the aftermarket condenser fans are up to the quality standards of OEM, so a lot of cycling may ultimately kill them. So far, I'm just powering all 4 condenser fans off the clutch circuit so if they make it through the summer, I may just keep it this way and maybe simplify the power distribution to just a 2 relay mini-weather protected fuse box. I figure with 4 fans, there's built in redundancy, and who knows, these things may surprise me and last longer than I think. After all, they are pretty quiet, for the volume of air they move, and these are the same fans that are used on a lot of RV's and specialty vehicles.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

You made this A/C your bitch. I installed these DPD air conditioners back in the 70's at the dealership I worked at. I hated everyone of them. I wore out three air drills and I don't know how many hole saws. If they had cordless impact drivers back then, I would have been in heaven. If I recall, they paid us 8 hrs. flat rate for the install. One could get close to doing it in 8 hours, after about the 10th one you installed.

I always had the impression the York compressors put such a load on the engine it probably made them run to hot, at least in this locality.

Good job.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
You made this A/C your bitch. I installed these DPD air conditioners back in the 70's at the dealership I worked at. I hated everyone of them. I wore out three air drills and I don't know how many hole saws. If they had cordless impact drivers back then, I would have been in heaven. If I recall, they paid us 8 hrs. flat rate for the install. One could get close to doing it in 8 hours, after about the 10th one you installed.

I always had the impression the York compressors put such a load on the engine it probably made them run to hot, at least in this locality.

Good job.

Laughing Well it wasn't easy, but I'll take the complement. The compressor I installed would take off easily 2-3 of those install hrs. over a York, and with the hose routing you eliminate at least the two holes in the rear fender, and replace the 2 holes through the jack support with 1 hole through the top of the frame rail. I used one of those stepped drill bits from Harbor freight to take my 1/4" pilot holes up to 1-3/16" for the LP hose, 1" for the HP hose, and .75" for the condensate drain hoses. I had grommets for all the holes, and with a little talc, the hoses would slide right through. I also made all my hoses with straight fittings (except for two 90 deg fittings on the receiver drier), so it would be easier to snake all the hoses into position.

Today I made an idle speed compensation system out of a small solenoid air valve that opens whenever the AC clutch engages. it's opening is only 1/8 inch, though, and it will only bump up the RPM about 150 or so, and the compressor drags down 200RPM at idle, so it's close enough for now. I'd say one with a 3/16 hole would be about perfect. With the air valve in operation, I can't feel the compressor engage at all, when the temperature switch causes the clutch to cycle. You could tell it just a tiny bit, without the air valve. Next step will be to make some timed full throttle runs from 45MPH to 70MPH with and without the compressor engaged to measure how much HP this thing really draws, but without actually measuring the time difference, I can't really feel any difference in acceleration.

The ambient temperature got up to 92 deg F. today, so I grabbed my infrared temp. gun and went for a drive. At 55mph, and AC on max, I measured vent temps from 38-40 deg. F, and at max fan speed, the system has no problems cooling the front and rear seats. With the vents pointing right in your face for the front seat passengers, you notice cold air in only 3-5 seconds when the clutch engages. I've not sat in the back at startup to test how fast it starts cooling rear seat passengers, but the airflow to the middle seats is pretty strong, so I'd say the cooling effect is nearly as fast as the front seats. If the bus has been baking in the sun, it starts fast enough that you don't need to crack open a window to let the hot air out first.

After a 20 minute drive, I went to the very back seat, and it was plenty comfortable I couldn't get an accurate air temp back there with my infrared gun, but it felt like low 70's F.

100 deg. ambient will be the real test, though. The solar load on a bus with all those windows and poor insulation has got to be tremendous.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus - Test Results & Data Reply with quote

Took the bus out for a really thorough AC Performance test today, and I've got to say, I'm really impressed with the overall results. Before I started testing, I hooked up my gauges and measured the static pressure and took ambient air temperature readings with my new contact temperature probe and infrared as follows:

Static Pressure = 91PSI
Ambient Air Temp Between 76degF and 80degF (Probe and IR
Temp inside bus with windows closed between 99degF and 100degF
Time 12:45PM / Sunny Skies / High Humidity / Bus in direct sunlight

The following static pressure/temp chart confirms gages and temps correspond pretty close

Next I hooked up my Engine Analyzer to get an accurate reading for engine RPM and Battery Voltage.

Engine Idle speed is 1000 RPM with compressor running, temp setting on Max Cold, all windows down and all fans on max speed. Under these conditions, battery voltage reads 13.1 Volts. At anything above 1200 RPM it goes to 14.4 Volts and does not vary. Next I took some High and Low side pressure readings at different engine RPM and also recorded condenser #1 Inlet pipe temperature (as T1I) and Condenser #3 outlet pipe temperatures (as T3O) with my contact temperature probe and giving about 30 seconds for temperatures to normalize. Here are the results of that test:

RPM----1000--------2000--------3000--------4000
Hi Pres-175PSI-----190PSI------192PSI------195PSI
Lo Pres-25PSI------16PSI--------12PSI-------10PSI
T1I-----156degF---163degF-----173degF----173degF
T3O----92degF-----91degF------92degF-----95degF

So from this data, the high side pressures look pretty good, as the following chart indicates they are normal, but the low side looks to be too low

I was tempted to add a little more refrigerant to get the low side readings up, since that is what I was doing when I got up to 60 oz (5 cans) of refrigerant on the initial system charge. When I was charging, the low and high side pressures were climbing at the same rate, so I stopped adding refrigerant when the high side readings got up to the correct range from the chart above. Thinking some more about my theory that the very long hose runs from the compressor, through the condensers & evaporator, then back to the compressor should make the high side readings look higher and the low side readings look lower, I also thought about adding some more refrigerant to "split the difference"; in other words get the low side to maybe 5-8 PSI below the normal range and the high side 5-8PSI above the normal range, but I ran across another chart that uses the sub-cooling method to determine the "correct" refrigerant charge for automotive AC Systems, and this chart seems to indicate I'm already overcharged. The way it works is you measure the condenser outlet pipe temperature and compare that to the high side gage reading and the point where those lines intersect represents your system charge:

I'm not sure if it makes a difference whether you have 1 or multiple condensers, when using this chart, but in theory multiple condensers in series should act like a single condenser (only bigger). It is possible that because my condensers are installed at 30 degrees from horizontal, I've got saturated liquid leaving one condenser and flashing back to vapor when it enters the next. When you also throw in that I've got 2 condensers with fans forcing air through them and 1 that just relies on forward motion of the bus for air flow, all the assumptions from the above sub cooling chart may be thrown out the window. No matter what, I've got pretty efficient condensing going on to take the refrigerant temps from 173degF down to 95 degF when the ambient air temps had crept up to 87 degF when I recorded all the temperature readings

I also used the temperature probe to measure differences across the evaporator and condensers as follows:

Evap Inlet Air Temp: 83-84 degF
Evap Outlet Air Temp: 60-61 degF (all vents are within 1 degree)

Condenser #1 Inlet Air: 100 degF / Oulet Air Temp: 112 degF
Condenser #2 Inlet Air temp: 87 degF / 96 degF

I think I had some air recycling hot condenser exhaust air back around the frame rails into the inlet on the #1 Condenser when these measurements were taken, since the breeze had picked up a little

Final test of the day was to take the bus out for a drive to see if I could get the evaporator to ice up. At 4:30PM the outside temp was 95 deg, sun was blazing hot, and humidity still high. With all the windows now closed, inside temps measured at chest level started coming down quickly from over 100degF to 85degF in maybe 10 minutes. That may sound like a long cool down time, but when the vents are blowing 55 deg de-humidified air right on you, the surrounding air in the rest of the bus doesn't feel hot at all. To measure my vent temps, while I was driving, I stuck the contact probe in one of the vents and put the meter in my cup holder so the display is easy to look at. It's odd that my IR temp gun was showing vent temps at 35degF, while the contact probe measured 55degF, but I think contact probe is probably a better indicator of overall air temp vs the IR temp showing me surface temps.

After 30 minutes of highway driving at 70MPH, I pulled over to get in the back seats to make measurements. The very back (3rd row) seat air temp was 74 degF and you could feel the cold air blowing all the way back there. I then measured the evaporator air temps and got 74degF going in and 50degF air coming out, with no signs of evaporator icing. I opened the door to confirm that the condensate drains were still dripping a steady flow of water (which they were).

The blast of hot / humid air that I got when I opened the driver door after the highway drive also has me thinking I'm satisfied with my refrigerant charge level. I had to turn the temperature switch up on the way home, because it was getting too cold! In 95degF heat, I'd say that's a pretty good confirmation that these old dpd units can be made to work well Very Happy
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

Thanks for the inspiration to get my own DPD unit working!
It's been sitting in the shed for several years now as removed from my first bus... Never pulled it out until yesterday.

I'm working on the bracket and idler to mount a Sanden 508 right now.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

Getting a few PM's on how the DPD is working, so here's an update:

Temps in Central TX are near 100 deg F. now, and the overhead DPD system rocks! I think the secret is that it's blowing air down on your passengers instead of up like the Ice and Gilmore systems. Those systems may be great also, I just don't have experience with them. The experience with mine is that vents are blowing air right in your face, so you get cold air in just a few seconds, and because the hot air in the rest of the bus rises up to the evaporator, the system cools the whole bus down to the mid 70's within about 10 minutes (and that's starting with an interior that's almost 130 degF in direct sunlight). It's really impressive (as good as anything I've experienced in a modern car), and the bus is now a pleasure to drive in summer!!

Seeing how well the DPD works, I'd definitely go this route again. I think all the condensers I used helps out a lot too. I've not had any issues with the engine running hotter with the system on vs off. The Denso compressor I used is also another important factor, since it gives way more refrigerant mass flow rate than the original Yorks. Very important for cooling large volumes. Not sure if I'd change a thing. Well one thing I'm going to do is replace my system power relay with a delay on relay. with an instant on relay, my fans come on just about the same time as I hit the ignition switch (pulling around 50 amps away from my starter). I was hoping that getting a start signal off the AFM would not let the fans start until the engine was running, but apparently there's enough airflow through the AFM during startup that it kicks on my system before the engine starts. A delay on relay should stop that, so I can just leave everything turned on while I'm running errands, doing a lot of stop / start cycles.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

Trigger it off the charge light.

Good to hear it's working so well, sounds awesome.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I'm working on the bracket and idler to mount a Sanden 508 right now.

What's the capacity of that Sanden compressor? I used a Denso 10PA17C, which is 170 cc's, and can operate to 6,000 RPM. I ask this because I feel like I got lucky with my choice of the Denso, which is sized perfectly for the DPD overhead and the large volume of the Bus. A bigger compressor probably wouldn't hurt, but could lead to evaporator icing and overall less efficient operation (with more load on the engine); I have none of that. A smaller compressor, on the other hand, gives less refrigerant flow rate, and less engine loading, but that also means it takes longer for your bus to get cold.

I can also share that I've set my engine idle back down to 850 RPM (vs my previous 1000-1100), and the small solenoid air valve I used to correct engine speed with the AC on is sized perfectly at this speed. You can not tell at all when the compressor kicks on and off. there's no variation of the Engine RPM. Accelerating through the gears and top end performance also is not affected much with the AC on or off. I did some full throttle runs in top gear from 40-75MPH recently with the AC on and off to test the difference. In one direction, it took 48 seconds (AC on) and 39 seconds (AC off), so there is some difference, but on the same stretch of road in the opposite direction, it took 24 seconds (AC on) and 23 seconds (AC off), so the prevailing wind affects performance way more than the AC compressor. Well, that and the fact that you've only got about 80HP to manipulate a giant toaster on wheels Very Happy
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

I called Ed @ Gilmore Enterprises and he told me not to bother with the overhead DPD units, of which I have 3 in very nice condition. I was bummed when he said so but this thread proves him otherwise. I'm gonna do it. A few modifications and it will work great.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

Well, I don't blame them for telling you to ditch the DPD, in favor of their evaporator, since new parts are readily available for that unit, and its one less variable to deal with, when sizing everything to work together.

From my perspective, the only negative I've seen with the overhead DPD is you can hit your head on it, if you don't have your seat slid far enough forward, but having the air blowing right where you want it and cooling the whole bus far outweighs the downside.

If your bus is similar to mine, I think you'll be pretty happy with the DPD system, just by following a similar recipe for components that I described in this post.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Heat Dump Solution Reply with quote

Now that air temps are consistently at 100+ deg F, I've noticed the bottom side of the engine to body foam seal gets really hot after a drive from all the hot air coming out of the heater valves (this air exits at around 270 deg. F), which explains why VW created the elaborate heater dump tubes to get all that hot air out.

In the process of trying to make my own heat dump tubes, I came up with a simpler solution with a piece of $7 2inch x 18 inch aluminum pre-heat tube. I cut this into 2 pieces (1 for each side) and just tucked the open end of this tube into the space between the exhaust U - tube, so the hot air just blows out below the engine.

So far the exhaust pipe has not melted the aluminum tube, and my foam engine seal is now much cooler after a drive.

69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

Found this delay timer on eBay for $6 (its the blue box in this picture beside the double relay/resistor pack). It's description is a delay on operation relay, 12V, 3 seconds fixed, 1 amp. Just used it to interrupt the start signal to my AC system for an extra 3 seconds to let my engine fully start up before the AC system kicks on. What an improvement this makes for day to day use. I just leave everything set, just the way I want, and just start/stop the bus as I normally would.

I think the suggestion of using the alternator warning light would work about the same, but I'd still need a special relay to turn on only after the warning light went off.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
but I'd still need a special relay to turn on only after the warning light went off.

Not really, any relay will close when the alternator starts making power on the charge light circuit (that's what turns off the light anyways, equal power on both sides of the filament), but that blue box looks cool, if it works for you great!.
Just keep the simple fix in mind if it ever gets all Ebay bargainy on you in the future Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: