Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Fairmounter wrote:
I have been thinking a DC compressor using power from the alternator when driving. It would probably take too many batteries to be practical, but possibly off battery power when camping.

The squirrel cage fans in the DPD evaporator units are pretty quiet. Mine gets a little louder on the highest speed setting, but I think a proper Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) motor speed controller would let you find the perfect fan speed to minimize noise vs the silly 3 speed switch that is standard on the DPD. Skills is right about the loud condenser fans, but you could probably rig up a squirrel cage blower unit from a household window A/C unit to blow on the condensers when you’re on campground power. Those blowers are pretty quiet. You could also try to salvage the compressor from the window unit A/C and plumb it into the bus refrigerant lines with a few solenoid valves.
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Is there a general consensus that these original condensers are inefficient and that I should invest in newer condensers if I want my AC to work properly?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If they are worth keeping them I'll fix this one up otherwise I'll throw it in the classifieds if anyone wants a vintage condenser.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Yes, chuck it. Parallel flow is way more efficient than the old tube & fin condenser, and you will need efficient condenser(s) to run 134a refrigerant anyway.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

^^^^

yes and shit can those fans too. we have far more efficient technology today.

the only thing you want to use is the evaporator after a good flush with the proper cleaning agent. you want all new hoses, a new TXV and a compressor.

if you're resurrecting a dash unit on your highroof you are going to be very disappointed in it's performance.

I've done enough dash unit rehab/installs now to be able to say that it's barely adequate for the front seat passengers in a normal bus. these units just can't keep up with the massive insides of a bus.

I think the best one going is the overhead unit in terms of distributing cold air reasonably evenly throughout a bus. the other issue with the dash units (in my opinion anyway) is the vents don't have enough articulation to blow the cool air UP. it kind of hits you in the knees to be honest.

here is what I had for duct temp on the highway the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MztGoepWfXs

don't get me wrong...the a/c is nice but the real issue is heat rises. even with the a/c on, I could feel the heat coming off the roof. these a/c units take the edge off for sure...no doubt but DO NOT expect any miracles here.

I still think having a rear/overhead unit like the vanagons do is going to be the best way to make the a/c feel like it's doing something. having it blow across the roof and cool air sink to the floor has got to be a better way to distribute the air than the dash units.

i'm not saying VW has always had a great solution, but there is a reason they put it in the rear of the vanagon and blew it forward.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Perfect, I'll start from scratch then.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I think the best one going is the overhead unit in terms of distributing cold air reasonably evenly throughout a bus.

I agree, I do have the under dash unit but I will probably get rid of it and start the hunt for an overhead unit. It is very inspiring to see 69BahamaYellow's build on this thread and I also think it would do well in keeping the Safare' cool. I just need to make sure that I can make it fit with the cut outs that were made. There is potential that it would stick out a little bit past the cut outs. I'll try to look for some detailed views of it and compare where it ends and look at my bus to see if it'll work.
bayguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I have a 68’ deluxe I’m redoing, long process. I’ve been following along about
the DPD ac. The bus came with overhead ac with fans and knobs but no compressor or fans below. I’ve attached photos of what I’ve got wondering if it’s worth the effort to reinstall. One thing that bothered me was the I think it’s called the coil which is part of the overhead unit. On the drivers side there is a rubber hose from above exiting the left side wheel well with a nice plastic cover. On the passenger side there is another hose from above but no cover just the hose no place for one because of cargo door. Any ideas or solutions. Also would it be just as effective to purchase a unit from Gilmore?.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

bayguy wrote:
On the passenger side there is another hose from above but no cover just the hose no place for one because of cargo door. Any ideas or solutions. Also would it be just as effective to purchase a unit from Gilmore?.

you mean the black flexy hose? that would be a ducted (cold air) hose. I am not very familiar with the overhead units. but I would say if you can stomach the damage they do to a headliner....it would be the one I would pick

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
bayguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Skills, it’s the drain tubes from the evaporator and you are correct about the
headliner you have to be very careful on install or the headliner will be toast.
My one concern about under dash units is leg room. Any experience from
anyone?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

wasn't sure which hose you meant...there's a few.

the dual blower style has ok leg room, but you can whack the blower motor on the drivers side...they hang close to the tops of the pedals.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
mkilpa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I dont own a type II westfalia, yet, but desperately want one. The thought of coughing up the money for it and having no A/C seems like a pretty hard sell to my significant other. We live in Charleston.

I apologize in advance if this idea is ludicrous, but has anyone used a modern generator and RV a/c system (top unit)? or portable a/c system (the alternative to a window unit.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

A couple questions, I have a jump seat AC unit and I would like to revive the AC. First, has anyone had this setup and how well does it work, is it as good as the overhead or bad like the under dash unit? Has anyone used this stuff? [url] https://www.ebay.com/itm/R12-R-12-refrigerant-supp...4524[/url] If I wanted to use R-12, since it can’t be produced, can I get a really old fridge that has R-12 and have the refrigerant removed from that and put in my unit. Also, has anyone ran a gas heater with the AC? I was wondering if they would interfere or if I just used a new compressor would I be fine? Thanks in advance for the help, sorry if some of them are stupid questions.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

R134A is just as good, really. you may lose a few degrees. your biggest issue is using 12 and being able to responsibly recover it.

that said, I think peoples expectations of ANY a/c unit should be greatly reduced...these are rolling greenhouses...even the vanagon guys have so-so results with factory a/c

yes, it WILL take the edge off for sure. dry and 80* is better than 70* with 65% humidity.

it's worthwhile as long as you realize it's limitations. in a bug/ghia/T3 you could for sure freeze yourself out. in a bus, it's like cold air on your toes when you open the refrigerator door on a hot day.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

R134A is just as good, really. you may lose a few degrees. your biggest issue is using 12 and being able to responsibly recover it.

that said, I think peoples expectations of ANY a/c unit should be greatly reduced...these are rolling greenhouses...even the vanagon guys have so-so results with factory a/c

yes, it WILL take the edge off for sure. dry and 80* is better than 70* with 65% humidity.

it's worthwhile as long as you realize it's limitations. in a bug/ghia/T3 you could for sure freeze yourself out. in a bus, it's like cold air on your toes when you open the refrigerator door on a hot day.

Thanks!

So it sounds like if I want a decent AC system I have to upgrade to a Gilmore, ICE, or do what 69bahamayellow did to get decent AC. I was curious if I could do it on a reasonable budget but it sounds like it would have to be pricey to be good. I’m missing the condenser for my bus and some of the lines but have the rest.Maybe some junkyard digging though could lessen the cost... Idea
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

if you're already considering the junk yard route...stop right now

the jump seat a/c will work ok. the under dash units really only cool up front

the overhead units are the best deal as they shoot air front and back.

you will need a good parallel flow condenser to pull this off.

i'd run the jump seat unit myself. no matter what, there is a LOT of real estate to cool in there.

ever been in a suburban/escalde etc? they cooling sucks too even with rear a/c.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
yoshi1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I live in Japan.
I replaced the condenser fan
It has become more efficient and cooler.
Please refer to it.

Cvannoy wrote:
Is there a general consensus that these original condensers are inefficient and that I should invest in newer condensers if I want my AC to work properly?

If they are worth keeping them I'll fix this one up otherwise I'll throw it in the classifieds if anyone wants a vintage condenser.

69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Anybody done any interesting AC system builds recently? I started another type 4 AC system build last year before Covid hit, but I've had to table it for a move. Probably won't have my workshop set back up till the middle of next year, but I'm looking to start acquiring parts. For the next build, I'm thinking about the following:

1) Compressor - Denso fixed displacement 10PA series compressor has been awesome, but the next one will be a Denso clutch-less variable displacement unit with electronic displacement control. I'm going high tech with the control system this time, so I'll use temperature sensors this time to control the compressor. I'll mount the compressor exactly the same (fixed mounting, with tensioner and serpentine belt drive). This has been bullet proof, quiet, and maintenance free.

2) Condenser Fan's - I'm upgrading from the single speed fans to variable speed with a PWM fan controller. I'll do the same 3 condensers as before. They have proven to be highly efficient, and don't interfere with ground clearance.

3) Variable Speed Evaporator Fan's. Should have done this in the first place. The 3 speed fan switch is OK, but variable speed will be so much better.

4) I'm thinking of a split unit evaporator setup this time from a minivan, and running all the duct pipes under the headliner. The DPD bus overhead unit is terrific and pretty easy to install, but good ones are getting hard to find.

any other ideas / feedback / suggestions welcome
Tim_EV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
Anybody done any interesting AC system builds recently? I started another type 4 AC system build last year before Covid hit, but I've had to table it for a move. Probably won't have my workshop set back up till the middle of next year, but I'm looking to start acquiring parts. For the next build, I'm thinking about the following:

1) Compressor - Denso fixed displacement 10PA series compressor has been awesome, but the next one will be a Denso clutch-less variable displacement unit with electronic displacement control. I'm going high tech with the control system this time, so I'll use temperature sensors this time to control the compressor. I'll mount the compressor exactly the same (fixed mounting, with tensioner and serpentine belt drive). This has been bullet proof, quiet, and maintenance free.

2) Condenser Fan's - I'm upgrading from the single speed fans to variable speed with a PWM fan controller. I'll do the same 3 condensers as before. They have proven to be highly efficient, and don't interfere with ground clearance.

3) Variable Speed Evaporator Fan's. Should have done this in the first place. The 3 speed fan switch is OK, but variable speed will be so much better.

4) I'm thinking of a split unit evaporator setup this time from a minivan, and running all the duct pipes under the headliner. The DPD bus overhead unit is terrific and pretty easy to install, but good ones are getting hard to find.

any other ideas / feedback / suggestions welcome

Hi @69BahamaYellow, thanks for posting this thread, I found it when trying to research info on a DPD overhead unit that I picked up. I'm looking to restore it and put it in to my '73 bay window. Based on what I've read in this thread, it's going to take a lot of work! I hope I can find a local A/C shop that can do the bulk of it as I'm not as skilled as you are.

The main interesting difference in my restoration is that I'm converting my bus to 100% electric using Tesla batteries and motor. So I will be using a high voltage electric compressor which will be mounted under the bus, closer to the front. Apart from that, I'm guessing it is a similar setup. I'm not sure I can fit 3 separate condensors under the floor though as we are using some of that space for the batteries.

My preference would be to find stock condensor + fan setup (one or 2) that fits in the spaces I have available.

I'm in Brisbane, Australia which is sub-tropical so very hot and humid most of the year.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Tim_EV wrote:

My preference would be to find stock condensor + fan setup (one or 2) that fits in the spaces I have available.

I'm in Brisbane, Australia which is sub-tropical so very hot and humid most of the year.

don't waste your time. parallel flow is where it's at..

69BahamaYellow

i'd hold off on a VDC for a few reasons but mainly the control solenoids are PWM and fail at a pretty high rate, i replace a lot of them

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Tim_EV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Tim_EV wrote:

don't waste your time. parallel flow is where it's at..

Sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer in my earlier post - I meant "off-the-shelf" instead of stock, or custom-made from scratch.

Can you buy parallel flow condensers with fans off-the-shelf?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

mkilpa1 wrote:
I dont own a type II westfalia, yet, but desperately want one. The thought of coughing up the money for it and having no A/C seems like a pretty hard sell to my significant other. We live in Charleston.

I apologize in advance if this idea is ludicrous, but has anyone used a modern generator and RV a/c system (top unit)? or portable a/c system (the alternative to a window unit.

For camping , yes.

For driving, there is an eclectic collection of images on the internet of such implementations, complete with disparaging comments. In the language of Venn, this falls out side the intersection of ‘“works” , and “good idea”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: