Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
napat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I hope to finish the under dash project as soon as possible

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

napat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

_666_ wrote:
I get the impression that the underdash units are much more rare as I’ve never seen them here in Australia.. if you are selling then I could be interested.

I have an overhead unit that I was going to install, are you planning on remaking the plastic for the overhead units?

Actually, I got the underdash unit from the States (LHD), but I skipped on the overhead one cos my bus is double cab.

Fixing the plastic is no biggie, but shipping it from OZ to Bkk, Thailand would be crazy expensive.

I m in the process of converting the underdash from LHD to RHD. I ll give you a heads up when I m all done with it.

p.s. it's pity. If I got this one would be great. NO LHD / RHD

I did this before. It dragged on for a good three months, but finally got it done!

69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I think the overhead system could be easily reproduced by vacuum forming. Making a mold from an original would be the only difficult part.
_666_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I get the impression that the underdash units are much more rare as I’ve never seen them here in Australia.. if you are selling then I could be interested.

I have an overhead unit that I was going to install, are you planning on remaking the plastic for the overhead units?

napat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I only have the left-hand drive (LHD) DPD under dash unit,
which is a bit unfortunate.

I'm converting it to right-hand drive (RHD).
I want to know if there's only one style for the DPD under dash unit
or if there are different styles for early and late model?

just finished reproducing the left-hand drive (LHD) unit here.

metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Ratte wrote:
what is the best way to treat the "white" plastic body to make it less brown
without just painting it. It is a patinated bus, it does not need Blendax white.

"retr0bright"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrobright
Ratte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

@Buggeee
That's a good idea, it would never have occurred to me to look in that direction. Thank you, I'll try it out!
@Busdaddy
Sad, it is not for the correct engine, but it is quite useful, thank you for your hint!
1989 LeBaron Convertible TII
2020 M3
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

According to this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/vw_a_...201973.pdf it uses 52 oz of R-12.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I used gel peroxide that is for hairstyling to whiten the hull of a fiberglass sailboat and it worked well. I brushed it on, let it sit for 20 minutes and washed it off. From yellow to white just like that. Reading about it, people suggest that UV light really helps the process. Some use a hand held light. I just had sunlight coming through the window of the barn. I got a gallon delivered to me from Amazon for $25. The product name is Stabilized Cream Peroxide Developer 40V HC-50404. I read about people using it on vintage white yellowed computer plastic and other plastic parts.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Ratte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I have a early 71 bay with a working AC, which was restored 3 years ago.
The unit works pretty well, but for maintenance I need some input.
Because the work was done abroad from a previous owner,
I have no chance to get in touch with this workshop, which did the restoration.
I have a workshop near by, which would do the maintenance, but they want to know the filling quantity.
The layout from the AC is still the same. Just the dryer bowl is a bit smaller. That difference I could calculate, I still have the original one.
Does anyone have the maintenance manual for that AC? I searched within the tech directory, but got no results.
Other question: what is the best way to treat the "white" plastic body to make it less brown
without just painting it. It is a patinated bus, it does not need Blendax white.

1989 LeBaron Convertible TII
2020 M3
jonnydot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
Found my parts list for the condensers as follows:

(Qty2) New Parallel Flow Condensers 10” (254mm) x 27.5” (699mm) x .984” (25mm), middle 24-30296 $167.34 eBay/B&T Auto LLC / virtual-ac.com / 336-245-1661
(Qty 1) New Parallel Flow Condensers 12” (305mm) x 20” (508mm) x .866” (22mm), front 24-50005 $74.67 eBay/B&T Auto LLC / virtual-ac.com / 336-245-1661
Would you have an ebay link ?they are not coming up in my search
_666_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:

(Qty2) New Parallel Flow Condensers 10” (254mm) x 27.5” (699mm) x .984” (25mm), middle 24-30296 $167.34 eBay/B&T Auto LLC / virtual-ac.com / 336-245-1661
(Qty 1) New Parallel Flow Condensers 12” (305mm) x 20” (508mm) x .866” (22mm), front 24-50005 $74.67 eBay/B&T Auto LLC / virtual-ac.com / 336-245-1661

That’s awesome, super helpful!
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

_666_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
They are 10”x27”

So 2x condensors are 10”x 27” how about the one at the front of this diagram ?

69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

They are 10”x27”
_666_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Balidas wrote:
Here is the link; https://www.omega-usa.com/quote.php?lang=en

I sent them an e-mail asking about the condensers we are looking for.

Most of the measurements I've seen are mm, so the size we need are 203mm x 914.4mm.

Considering the original design had 3x condensers, 2 are the same size and the one up the front was more square..

Does anyone know the middle condenser of the two rectangular ones on either side are 203mm x 914.4mm ?
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Keep in mind that while the condenser(s) need to fit the available space, You need to have about 20% more condensing capacity than evaporator capacity. Ideally this would be measured in BTUs, but since we have no idea what the evaporator capacity is in BTU, a close approximation is volume. The length times width times thickness of my evaporator was around 460 in.³ so you need 500+ cubic inches of condensing capacity if you have a similar sized evaporator. A 10”x 30”x 1” thick condenser gives 300 in.³ as an example, so you would need two of these to have enough. More Condensing capacity is better. I can’t emphasize this enough.
Balidas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Here is the link; https://www.omega-usa.com/quote.php?lang=en

I sent them an e-mail asking about the condensers we are looking for.

Most of the measurements I've seen are mm, so the size we need are 203mm x 914.4mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonnydot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
Jonny dot, I found my condensers from a place called Omega Engineering. They make evaporators and condensers for nearly any application imaginable but they don’t sell direct to the public. Just google their website and find the part number you need then search for it on eBay or Amazon
Thanks mate but I cannot find them Sad
_666_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
Jonny dot, I found my condensers from a place called Omega Engineering. They make evaporators and condensers for nearly any application imaginable but they don’t sell direct to the public. Just google their website and find the part number you need then search for it on eBay or Amazon

so did you end up using 3 condensors like they originally came out with ? if so, what sizes were they ?

also i couldnt find omega engineering (but we might need something different here in australia)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: