Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOrangeBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

TheOrangeBus wrote:
69BahamaYellow wrote:
TheOrangeBus wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These pics seem to confirm something I suspected about the original factory setup: The airflow through the condenser is from bottom to top, as it looks like the bottom louvers are pointed forward, and the shroud on top seems to indicate the fan's are pullers, instead of pushers. Am I seeing this correctly?

I set my system up the opposite way with puller fans on the bottom of the condensers. My system works excellent with the bus sitting still or at highway speed but I've always wanted to rig up a GoPro camera under the bus with small ribbons attached at various points on the undercarriage to see which way the airflow is really going at different speeds.

The original way the fans are pushing the air from the top to the bottom switch is how I have them. I have the condenser in the orientation that the manual says and that's the only way to mount it because of the inlet and outlet ports. They did it that way so when you are driving air gets forced up into the condenser, which helps keep some load off of the electrical system and the fans last longer. It is weird they designed it that way though.

I have the new motors wired like the original ones. Unless the windings in the original motor were done differently to where they pull air instead of push. If that's the case when I start testing the performance of the system I will simply switch the ground and positive wires around.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm mis-understanding what you are saying. Scooping air up from the bottom with the louvers pointing forward while blowing air down from the top with fans setup as "pushers" seems like it would create stagnant air in the condenser. I would "switch" (if that's what you mean) or verify the polarity of your fan wiring to run them as "pullers" to suck air up through the condenser and out the top; that would complement the airflow that gets scooped up from the louvers.

If you run a condenser fan as a "pusher", there's really no need for a shroud, but since there is a shroud, it probably means the factory intended the fans to "pull" air, so the flow would be from bottom to top. A puller fan with a shroud is much more efficient than a pusher fan (with or without a shroud)
TheOrangeBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
Perhaps I'm mis-understanding what you are saying. Scooping air up from the bottom with the louvers pointing forward while blowing air down from the top with fans setup as "pushers" seems like it would create stagnant air in the condenser. I would "switch" (if that's what you mean) or verify the polarity of your fan wiring to run them as "pullers" to suck air up through the condenser and out the top; that would complement the airflow that gets scooped up from the louvers.

If you run a condenser fan as a "pusher", there's really no need for a shroud, but since there is a shroud, it probably means the factory intended the fans to "pull" air, so the flow would be from bottom to top. A puller fan with a shroud is much more efficient than a pusher fan (with or without a shroud)

I went out there the other day and tested them and I do need to flip the wires where the red positive is the ground.
TheOrangeBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I recently finished converting my 1973 VW Westfalia over to ATO fuses. I'm posting this here because there is no infomation that I have found about this on buses and the fact that it is a major improvement over the original fuse box in current flow and safety. Especially, if you have AC and/or the accessories I have which are fresh air fans, 50 watt radio, CB radio, and coming soon fog lights.

Does anyone know how I should mount a 12v idle solenoid to work with dual Weber 40 IDFs with a bellcrank linkage from https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/type-4-bellcran...8236a.html
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

TheOrangeBus wrote:
Does anyone know how I should mount a 12v idle solenoid to work with dual Weber 40 IDFs with a bellcrank linkage from https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/type-4-bellcran...8236a.html

I remember Busdaddy suggested this one for the carb folks. Seems simple enough - http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-Throttle-Solenoid-Dashpot-Brackets/748535/10002/-1
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

You should also make a copy of that wiring diagram and put it inside a pocket on the back of your kick panel or something. That's a lot of wire you have there Very Happy
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone make an estimate on oil capacity for a dpd system? I just finished my install in a Subaru conversion and I had to make a guess on the oil capacity. I have about 18-20oz of pag100 in the system now. I bought some “oil checkers” from amazon and it’s indicating low oil. But it doesn’t look like the most scientific test haha.

So any more info on oil capacity?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

take the DPD system oil and figure the difference between the Subaru comp and the one they used.

if you over oil it, you will hate life

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

RocketSurgeon wrote:
Anyone make an estimate on oil capacity for a dpd system? I just finished my install in a Subaru conversion and I had to make a guess on the oil capacity. I have about 18-20oz of pag100 in the system now. I bought some “oil checkers” from amazon and it’s indicating low oil. But it doesn’t look like the most scientific test haha.

So any more info on oil capacity?

18-20 Oz seems like a lot of oil, but I'd start with what your compressor manufacturer says and then add 1 Oz per condenser, and maybe another Oz for the receiver/dryer (or Accumulator, if you set it up that way). My DPD overhead setup has about 10.5 oz total, with 3 condensers. My compressor called for 7.44 Oz of PAG 46, so the rest went into the condensers. I've not opened my system back up, since I got it running a few years ago, but it is ice cold and trouble free, so I probably got the oil charge pretty close.
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Not a very active topic, but still alive. I got a bus that is a ‘74 Westfalia and it has the DPD under dash A/C. The bus is in a good condition but been sitting for years. So it needs some TLC. The AC is not the top of the list, but it is my intend to have it working again sooner or later, For the preparation before working on it, do these DPD units run on R134a or do they need R12? And what belt fits proper between the compressor wheel and the blower? Many thanks.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

you'll need to do a 12 to 134 conversion. I would shitcan that piston compressor too.

honestly, I would get a parallel flow condenser and change all the lines. flush the evaporator, replace the TXV and so on...

basically....I would only re-use the dash unit. you can use red-tek which is a R12 substitute...but why?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

How is a R134 conversion done? And are those compressors that bad? I was planning to replace the lines. And other things like the dryer etc.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

X2 on What Skills said.

Can’t help you on your belt question, but if you decide to upgrade your compressor, I’m in the process of having some 4 rib serpentine pulleys machined to fit type 4 engine crankshafts for a Porsche 914 project. I plan to use the same Style Denso compressor and mount I made for my bus, so Depending on which pulley I use, I’ll post the extras here on the classifieds. I’m making a few different diameter ones ranging from 4” to 4.75” to see which combo of compressor displacement and pulleys work best for the small cabin of a Porsche

I found that changing the V-belt drive to serpentine is a far superior setup. It has never slipped or needed adjustment. If you stick with your York recip compressor, you’ll have no choice but to use a V-belt. Also be aware the original v-belt pulleys you have are an odd angle compared to the belt angle you get on most V-belts today
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks. As said its a very early stage, but better to start orientating early and as you said the V-belts are different these days, so thats why I was wondering which belt to use now for the compressor.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

those York compressors are kind of horrible and prone to leaks around the shaft. they are heavy, suck a LOT of power and are generally inefficient. I mean it's literally a piston compressor that just bangs away while in use. I would be looking at a sanden SD series compressor myself.

I would pony up for the mastercool crimp tool as well and buy all the hoses I needed and a selection of fittings. 200 bux will get you a lot of hose and fittings shipped to your door. one hose made locally for example can run you 100 bux.

when I did Daveark's install I was running back and forth to a hose place that sucked ass and spent more time traveling back and forth than it was worth. it was a total shit show.

when you're done with the tool sell it. even if you got 1/2 the initial cost, you'll be $$ ahead in frustration.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

So I am wanting to set up an AC system that runs both when the engine is running and when it is not. Thoughts on using a hybrid vehicle (like Honda's) belt driven and electrically driven AC compressor? This way the AC compressor will be running when the engine is running but when I am at a campsite with shore power and don't want to run my engine all night to cool things down then I can just use the power provided to keep the AC running.

Currently I have a DPD under dash unit but after seeing what 69BahamaYellow did with the overhead unit I am wondering if I can set up an overhead unit in my hightop. I'm not certain it will work though because tootype2crazy mentioned earlier in this thread that he has multiple different overhead AC units and none of them work with his sunroof. I'm assuming that my hightop has cuts that are the same size if not significantly larger than the sunroof cuts. But it would be nice to have airflow to the rear passengers and not just to the people up front.
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Cvannoy wrote:
So I am wanting to set up an AC system that runs both when the engine is running and when it is not. Thoughts on using a hybrid vehicle (like Honda's) belt driven and electrically driven AC compressor? This way the AC compressor will be running when the engine is running but when I am at a campsite with shore power and don't want to run my engine all night to cool things down then I can just use the power provided to keep the AC running.

Currently I have a DPD under dash unit but after seeing what 69BahamaYellow did with the overhead unit I am wondering if I can set up an overhead unit in my hightop. I'm not certain it will work though because tootype2crazy mentioned earlier in this thread that he has multiple different overhead AC units and none of them work with his sunroof. I'm assuming that my hightop has cuts that are the same size if not significantly larger than the sunroof cuts. But it would be nice to have airflow to the rear passengers and not just to the people up front.

I have spent many hours dreaming of a dual power a/c like you are describing.
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I have been thinking a DC compressor using power from the alternator when driving. It would probably take too many batteries to be practical, but possibly off battery power when camping.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Fairmounter wrote:

problem with that is your condenser fans are LOUD. not really noticeable going down the road but I sure wouldn't want to sleep with the fans screaming away all night.

I mean, even the vanagon guys use house a/c units hung from the front door

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

someone was making brackets for them to hang from the drip rail

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Fairmounter wrote:

problem with that is your condenser fans are LOUD. not really noticeable going down the road but I sure wouldn't want to sleep with the fans screaming away all night.

I mean, even the vanagon guys use house a/c units hung from the front door

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

someone was making brackets for them to hang from the drip rail

I am starting with nothing, so there is no existing condenser or fans to work around. but you are right, quiet fans would be key. my one worry is that what i am picturing would all be in the back, so it will have a hard time getting to the front for driving
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: