Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How important is the interior colour?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wardk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: How important is the interior colour? Reply with quote

I have looked up the original colour for my 61 it's mostly silver beige. The exterior is gulf blue, I like red and white . Trying to build it to stock , would you experts go for original or does it matter?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's your car do what YOU like Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is the interior colour? Reply with quote

wardk wrote:
I have looked up the original colour for my 61 it's mostly silver beige. The exterior is gulf blue, I like red and white . Trying to build it to stock , would you experts go for original or does it matter?

Red, white, and blue would be very patriotic this close to July 4th.
Thanks for thinking of us. Very Happy
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is the interior colour? Reply with quote

wardk wrote:

I think you answered your question by yourself. Stock would be silver beige, so building it stock is silver beige. Silver beige is a great contrasting color to Gulf blue........probably why the factory made it that way.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is the interior colour? Reply with quote

wardk wrote:

The answer depends on what you are wanting to do with the car. Car shows where originality matters, then the original colour matters.

Mine is a daily driver and was very unoriginal when I got it. It will never win a car show for originality. Maybe if they had a category for most original use of wood, that I might win.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think a red/white interior with Gulf Blue is a good match.

I went with a black/white interior scheme on a 61 I fixed up many years ago. But I bought the door panels already colored that way and just bought seat covers to match. Digging up a photo now I think I'd have liked the stock grey/ and silver beige better.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think red is a great contrasting and almost complimentary color for gulf blue. Granted, the right red. If you do this, white to me sounds horrible. It would have to be a little on the darker side than VW colors- maybe Porsche would be fine. I'm strongly considering a monochromatic red interior for my gulf blue convertible and have talked even to Bernard Newberry about it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
wardk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input,I'll go through the galleries and resto forums before I decide. I don't know if they have Beetle car shows around here. I have not heard of Bernard Newberry. is he a VW expert?
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Silver beige interior Reply with quote

Hello,

I was reading this thread and have a question. Did you find the silver beige interior? Mine says silver beige leatherette on the window sticker but I can't seem to find a match. Tried TMI but they don't call their colors by the original name. I looking for a replacement for my driver's side backrest. Rip shown below.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wardk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Silver beige interior Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Hello,

I was reading this thread and have a question. Did you find the silver beige interior? Mine says silver beige leatherette on the window sticker but I can't seem to find a match. Tried TMI but they don't call their colors by the original name. I looking for a replacement for my driver's side backrest. Rip shown below.I didn't find silver beige, they call it grey.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernard Newberry is a very famous upholsterer in the UK. It was his work where I first saw contrasting colors of interiors- back from the 80s to now. I don't know why, but his style would place red in a gulf blue car- whereas I don't see American trimmers doing it. I called him because he gets it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue and red can work - this is a Aussie oval which is completely original so obviously there is appreciation for this combo Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: