Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Compression ratio 8.2

62ItalianRagtop wrote:
Here mine

Big Bore 1385cc AA
Stock cranckshaft
Cam Scat C25
Stock square boss heads
Dual SOLEX 34PCI NOS with Riechert linkage, filters and manifolds
Screamer Kit NOS (Bosch 019)
FRAM Filter NOS
Abarth 4 tips muffler

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

So, in your opinion, which is the best carb for a dual carb kit on a 1385cc big bore ?

1) 28 PCI
2) 32 PCI
3) 34 PCI
4) ....

I have two 34 PCI; these carbs haven't automatic choke and their setup is quite difficult.
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

not to hijack the thread but how/where does that external oil filter install to the block. I see that one hose used a banjo (?) style bolt to where the oil pressure sensor goes but where is the other end go? Does one have to drill/tap a hole on the block somewhere?
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

prkid424 wrote:
not to hijack the thread but how/where does that external oil filter install to the block. I see that one hose used a banjo (?) style bolt to where the oil pressure sensor goes but where is the other end go? Does one have to drill/tap a hole on the block somewhere?

Some people drill a return into the generator stand or you can use a hollow stud for the distributor and connect it there.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Would that work for any external oil filter setup? Or is it specific to the oil filters showed here
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

It works with other oil filters,too. But, the FRAM FP3 filters are the nicest! They are not so big, like the FP4...
The oil goes back from the external oil filter to the engine case at the back side of the generator stand. There is a special bolt, which should be change before installing this kit.

prkid424 wrote:
Would that work for any external oil filter setup? Or is it specific to the oil filters showed here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Where would one find the special bolts needed to do this?
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Try to contact with Mike, maybe he can help you!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=34259

prkid424 wrote:
Where would one find the special bolts needed to do this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

prkid424 wrote:

It isn't a true external filter setup like you might think. Its a bypass filter. A small percentage of maybe 5-10% of the oil is routed away from the oil pressure sender adapter and is pumped up into the top of the filter. From the bottom of the filter it is gravity fed back into the engine case. Better than no filter at all but not nearly as good as a full flow setup IMO. Make sure you have a decent pump with good pressure if you go this route for a filter. This type of setup will bleed off a percentage of the oil pressure and the 40hp doesn't have a lot to spare to begin with. Worn out cam saddles can absorb a lot of oil pressure - having the case machined to accept the later 1300 and up cam bearings is a must if you want a bypass filter setup and have decent oil pressure.

I built a few of these motors back in the 70's. It was a popular and not too expensive HP addition. Finding a 1500/1600 motor back then wasn't an easy task since they hadn't been around for very long. It was something you could feel in the seat of the pants though. Add a decent extractor exhaust and a small 2 barrel carb like the Holly 200cfm kit and you had a pretty nice bug or ghia.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i have one of these kit i found nos at bugjam last year and i'm thinking about actually running it on my bay panel. i know it's just a bypass kit and not a full flow but like someone said it's better than nothing. my question is are they any count at all do they actually work what size oil pump should i use to run it. i'm building a mini stroke for my 70 panel and i think this would look really kool. it's just going to be a 88x74 with single carb and a super mild cam to look stock.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

They work. I'm sure it's better than nothing. There's a little info here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7903415&highlight=#7903415
I've got one on my car. It was there when I bought it. My engine is a tired 1600 single port. When I build my 2110 stroker (still gathering parts) I plan to use a filter pump. I'll probably catch as much hell for that as you're going to get if you put the bypass filter on yours. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Hello All,
I have been collecting parts for my 40 HP Big Bore engine. Engle 100 cam, NOS 64 crank(which I 8 doweled), NOS balanced rods, 010 Distributor, NOS heads, HD oil pump and bypass oil filter. Does anyone have experience with NPR Big Bore Sets? I am also looking at the AA sets. I read in a vintage performance book that compression is increased with the big bore sets. Not sure which to use. Also any thoughts about a lighter flywheel. That should help pep up my 40 horse! Any experience and input is welcome. Thanks
'63 OG 117
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Robert Chambers wrote:
Hello All,
I have been collecting parts for my 40 HP Big Bore engine. Engle 100 cam, NOS 64 crank(which I 8 doweled), NOS balanced rods, 010 Distributor, NOS heads, HD oil pump and bypass oil filter. Does anyone have experience with NPR Big Bore Sets? I am also looking at the AA sets. I read in a vintage performance book that compression is increased with the big bore sets. Not sure which to use. Also any thoughts about a lighter flywheel. That should help pep up my 40 horse! Any experience and input is welcome. Thanks

I bought first a set of AA 77mm pistons and found that those have around .100" of deck height, which is way too much. I found the reason for the excess deck height is b/c the wrist pins sit closer to the top of the piston on the AA 77s than they do on the factory VW 77s. The factory pistons only have about .051" - .055" or so of deck height, which is much more reasonable.

I also recently bought a set of their 83mm 1385 P&C's and found that the #1 and #3 piston skirts hit the case webbing. They claim on their website the 83's go right on though, with no modifications, but this is not what I found to be true.

I also found a hole the size of a ball-point pen head at the top of one of the cylinders, and AA has said they will send me another one free of charge. I'm waiting to see if they do.

I'm rather disappointed in them right now, and since the new 77's have too much deck height and the 83's require me to split my case again, my choices are either 1) put the 77's back on, button the engine up and hope that the rebuilt cylinder heads I put back on get me some more power 2) split the case and clearance it for the 83's while hoping no other fitment issues crop up. 3) reuse the factory (very used) set of pistons & cylinders after honing them and re-ringing 4) mix and match the new 77mm cylinders with the factory pistons.

Good luck to anyone else and maybe I'm just really unfortunate in getting all these problems from AA. Hopefully others have a different, more positive experience with them.
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

I finally got my 1385 put together for my '63 Herbie. I found the same clearance problem with the AA Big bore set. I already had my case together so I decided to try the NOS NPR Big Bore set I had. No clearance issues with NPR Big Bore set.
I wanted the engine to look stock so here are the parts I put together:
NOS 40 crank w/new steel backed standard bearings
NOS balanced rods/bearings
Engle 100 camshaft/lube a lobe lifters
NOS HD oil pump
Add on original VW bypass oil filter
NOS NPR 83MM Big Bore Set
NOS 311 101 371 Cylinder heads
1.25 to 1 Rocker arms
Lightened 40 hp flywheel
Stock 180 clutch (easy on my leg for the annual Christmas Parade)
356 oil cooler
019 Distributor
Round bowel 30 Solex carb settled with 55 idle jet, 130 main jet
stock 1600 size v belt pulley
Stock muffler jet coated w flare tip pipes
Stock heater boxes (we need heat in NJ)
This engine pulls much better than the stock 40 hp I replaced. I think dual carbs would be an improvement but I want it to look stock for my Herbie. I played with jets to get a nice idle without any hesitation. Tail pipes are a nice dark brown now. I plan to build another Big Bore in the near future for my other '63 ragtop. I will try the dual carbs to see the difference. Thanks for input Samba members.
'63 OG 117
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: