Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beware the revolt of the machines has begun
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Beware the revolt of the machines has begun Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Volkswagen/10410081...6122412627
PLF-Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant believe my crazy uncle Jim, who has been preaching this for years from his backwoods cabin, was correct all along...
Notice how the other human who witnessed it all has shut up? They got to him!
Godspeed, fellow homosapiens...
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy As long as the OS wasn't named Skynet, it's all good...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, the robot is supposed to do the work on the assembly line that a human formerly did, but the robot ended up killing the person who was installing the robot.

Is this an example of situational irony? One definition of irony is the incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly this robot failed to abide by Isaac Asimov's First Law of Robotics.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much ado about nothing - as I see it. The term robot is applied to many pick and place machines. There is no intelligence, per se with these. They are programmed and the person killed was installing / programming the robot.

These are bolted to the floor, they are not chasing people through the factory and they shriek in terror - although that would be a cool movie Laughing

Plenty of people are killed by machines each year, even more are injured. Beware the treadmill!
"Goldberg, who is also the husband of Facebook’s COO Sheryl Sandberg, allegedly suffered severe head trauma after slipping on a treadmill at his hotel in Mexico. The debate over treadmill safety entered the public spotlight in May 2009 when boxing legend Mike Tyson’s 7-year-old son Miguel found his 4-year-old daughter Exodus unconscious with the cord from the family’s treadmill wrapped around her neck. She died as a result of her injuries the next day."
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah Conner.... Come with me..
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Much ado about nothing

I would hope that you realize that this was not intended to be a serious posting. This is nothing more than a bit of VW related news trivia and I doubt many among us find this to be anything more than another sorrowful industrial accident.

Some of us do seems to find that our ACVW's do act willfully to our advantage or disadvantage at times though. Wink
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're safe from the robots...at least for the time being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TaYhjpOfo
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
I think we're safe from the robots...at least for the time being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TaYhjpOfo

Seems to me that robots have reached the same level of development in a few decades that it took several of my college friends a million or three years to reach. Wink
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
Much ado about nothing

I would hope that you realize that this was not intended to be a serious posting.

Some of us do seems to find that our ACVW's do act willfully to our advantage or disadvantage at times though. Wink

Yeah, sometimes I feel my VW is out to kill me - or at least my bank account Very Happy
The FaceBook and media stuff I saw acted like the world was supposed to end with links to like Steven Hawkins and Bill Gate being afraid of Artificial Intelligence....
http://www.businessinsider.com/robot-kills-factory-worker-in-germany-2015-7 Rolling Eyes I am more afraid or real stupidity vs. artificial intelligence! Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUCCESS!.......my plot to get machines....to clandestinely erradicate poorly skilled and stupid engineers........and steadily remove idiots from the gene pool....has begun!

Bwhahahahahahahahaha......ha.......Wink Ray
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why human beings devote so much time, money and brainpower to inventing things that will eliminate the need for human beings.

Wouldn't it be better to spend all that working on things that would make the world a more fulfilling, productive and enjoyable place?

Oh, wait...are those two the same thing? Shocked

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
SUCCESS!.......my plot to get machines....to clandestinely erradicate poorly skilled and stupid engineers........and steadily remove idiots from the gene pool....has begun!

Bwhahahahahahahahaha......ha.......Wink Ray

My cyborg will over come your cyborg.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I don't understand why human beings devote so much time, money and brainpower to inventing things that will eliminate the need for human beings.

Wouldn't it be better to spend all that working on things that would make the world a more fulfilling, productive and enjoyable place?

Because when there are less things that require work from human beings, we can spend more time on leisure.

There is a reason humans dont spend 70% of their waking hours just growing, hunting, and gathering food anymore. Thats because we have machines to do it for us.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

Because when there are less things that require work from human beings, we can spend more time on leisure.

There is a reason humans dont spend 70% of their waking hours just growing, hunting, and gathering food anymore. Thats because we have machines to do it for us.

Yeah, our free time is about back up to what hunter gatherers enjoyed. Wink
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
talljordan wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

But your quality of life is 100x higher. If you want you can live off of basically nothing and have TONNES of free time. You just won't be able to afford much either.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
talljordan wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

But your quality of life is 100x higher. If you want you can live off of basically nothing and have TONNES of free time. You just won't be able to afford much either.

A lot of third world peoples are very happy with their lives. Having a higher standard of living doesn't necessarily make our lives better, just different.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to over react when I think about this because I envision a world where machines do everything and people do nothing, and I wonder how will people earn the money to buy what they need.

It's difficult to imagine what kinds of jobs will be available to my grandchildren in this kind of world. There really aren't any manufacturing jobs around any more, and that kind of work generated a ton of ancillary jobs like management, recordkeeping, supply and repair jobs, etc. The road to the middle class no longer lies there.

Pretty much almost any kind of service job will be automated. Deliveries, driving, medical records jobs, routine health care like blood work and physical exams, waiters, paralegal work, teaching, airplane pilots, box office jobs, etc.

Jobs that require brawn or apprenticeships might still be around, like construction, plumber, electrician, heating and cooling, for instance. Machine repair might not be one of them because a lot of the machines doing our jobs will be cheaper to discard than to repair.

A lot of software and Internet type jobs will be around but there will be world-wide competition for those because the work can be done anywhere. And every couple of years people need to retrain themselves because the software evolves. So the competition for those will be fierce.

So when my grandchild asks me what college they should go to, my answer will be, "Are you sure you want to go to college?"

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
Much ado about nothing

I would hope that you realize that this was not intended to be a serious posting.

Yeah, sometimes I feel my VW is out to kill me - or at least my bank account Very Happy
The FaceBook and media stuff I saw acted like the world was supposed to end with links to like Steven Hawkins and Bill Gate being afraid of Artificial Intelligence....
http://www.businessinsider.com/robot-kills-factory-worker-in-germany-2015-7 Rolling Eyes I am more afraid or real stupidity vs. artificial intelligence! Laughing

I’m more afraid of the believers in AI than the tech itself, since most scientists are not polymaths and have no idea what human intelligence actually is. But the believers could do a lot harm in our culture that has enough complexity in itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYVjUT4FiOc

I’m certainly not afraid of my blender.

On a similar vein, members expressed fear of their vws, I’ve seen over the years that two identical vws who rolled off the line exactly the same turn out very different over the years. Showing that difference experience presents different outcomes and different responses to similar stimulation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: