Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler and exhaust noise
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Muffler and exhaust noise Reply with quote

I'm currently running this exhaust:

http://www.busdepot.com/352000

When it first went in, I loved it because it was markedly better than my crappy 4 tip EMPT GT style muffler.
Now that it's a few years old, it constantly sounds like it is "popping" or that the engine is missing - though it's not.

I'm considering going back to the factory type exhaust.

http://www.busdepot.com/071251053can

Does anyone know of a diagram which illustrates which pieces I need? I know there are quite a few pieces. I would prefer to avoid using the cat if possible. But either way, I suspect the correct exhaust will "level out" my bus' exhaust note.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can understand why that has to go Wink

You'll need a crossover pipe: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1531507
And an elbow or Y pipe or whateverthehell it's called: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1745993
*(just examples, not recommending any sellers)*
You'll also need a cat delete pipe, hanger strap and a clamp for the muffler joint.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the crossover pipe connects both of the beater boxes, then on the end of the crossover pipe the elbow turns the exhaust 180* then is the cat delete pipe (anyone have a p/n?) follows by the clamp and muffler and lastly the tail pipe?

Is this a specific hanger strap?
I don't see either the strap or delete pipe listed in bus depot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak somewhere? I have the same muffler on my Bus, and I was getting similar symptoms to what you are saying, especially the popping noise when I released the throttle. I pressurized my exhaust system and found I was leaking between the exhaust manifold and the head on the passenger's side. I repaired it, pressurized the system again, and found I was leaking on the driver's side as well. Not from the seal, but from the weld between the exhaust manifold flange and the pipe itself. No more popping. My muffler is almost new, so I can't say how it will sound in a few years. Just wanted to throw my experience out there.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar, I thought it may have been. But it sounds like there's something inside the muffler. It has been suggested that perhaps one of the baffles has broken loose. I checked around, and so did my mechanic after I came up entirely befuddled.

Busdaddy, I took to BusDepot, armed with your post, Google and my Bentley.
Does this look like the parts I need? Minus that crossover pipe which is apparently NLA. This might be the time to put on my new heater boxes too...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you have most of it covered, you'll still need a handfull of 8mm bolts and nuts to hold it all together.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you humor me and double check your valves some morning when they are cold? Be sure to lay a straight edge across them to see if any are significantly higher or lower than the other. That weird pop can also be a valve starting to give trouble.

That said, don't pay too much on a cross over pipe. When they come up for sale as onezee twozee everyone wants and arm and a leg. When they appear in mass they end up lying around unsold. The elbow comes as original and Dansk. Some of the folks with the Dansk have had them split. The originals in good condition are hard to find. NOS German VW of both parts show up occasionally.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barring something acute and catastrophic, they were just checked.
I suppose something could have been left loose. I'
Ill pop the cover off one morning to see if something is awry.

Check the video I just shot of it running:

Link

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler and exhaust noise Reply with quote

Was cruising through NYC yesterday and the muffler slid out of the CAT delete pipe and was hanging down through the Mid Town Tunnel... Besides my sounding like a racecar, it wasn't a cool experience. I was worried the muffler had fallen off altogether but couldn't see it behind me. There is a slip fit joint there, with a flange, where a donut ring creates a seal and a clamp binds the two together. The clamp is good, and I presume the issue occured because I recently replaced my muffler strap which was loose/bent after the engine work this past winter.
That all aside, the donut is trashed and I still have a decent exhaust leak (and subsequent loud noise)
Since I had a hard enough time finding the clamp, I assume noone will sell just a donut - if I was even able to find one.
Can I make a ring from epoxy putty, like a JB Weld putty? Or should I just cut and weld the CAT delete to the muffler?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: