Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found a pressed bumper on a hiking trail. Worth grabbing?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
The frame section is still there for the Victoria crew as well as anything we missed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At least you're still making it worth thier effort. Very Happy

this could easily be the one part without which you can not build a BD from scratch. As in Gerson does not (yet) make it

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to do a search grid 50 feet out into the bush with a metal detector, looks like someone ditched some leftover parts, I wonder if they threw the smaller stuff further out? How far could you toss a tail light for example? Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude - WHOA

busdaddy wrote:
I'd be tempted to do a search grid 50 feet out into the bush with a metal detector, looks like someone ditched some leftover parts, I wonder if they threw the smaller stuff further out? How far could you toss a tail light for example? Cool

yes - this
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew we should have hit the road that night you gave me the co-ordinates! Lucky for you not so lucky for us is right hahaha if we didn't have the show today to attend would have made the 14 hour plus 2 ferry trip trek!! In hindsight no show will stop me if there is a next time for an opportunity like this!!
It's all good dude, you deserve it man! This is such a cool story! I'm sure you have 100's of vultures pm'ing you wanting this stuff but it totally has to be reunited and stay BC brotha!!!! Wink

I just hope you remember this from our early conversation.....

"So far I am telling anyone asking about the parts I have that they are promised to you guys first". Laughing Cool

Josh
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
I knew we should have hit the road that night you gave me the co-ordinates! Lucky for you not so lucky for us is right hahaha if we didn't have the show today to attend would have made the 14 hour plus 2 ferry trip trek!! In hindsight no show will stop me if there is a next time for an opportunity like this!!
It's all good dude, you deserve it man! This is such a cool story! I'm sure you have 100's of vultures pm'ing you wanting this stuff but it totally has to be reunited and stay BC brotha!!!! Wink

I just hope you remember this from our early conversation.....

"So far I am telling anyone asking about the parts I have that they are promised to you guys first". Laughing Cool

Josh

No worries Josh, I haven't forgotten. I am a man of my word. The site is all yours now and you have first crack at the parts.

It was not our intension to excavate the way we did, but I wanted to be clear on what you were coming this far for,

and then we saw this....

Then another 6" below that was the deck lid. The parts have been there for quite awhile, there is a shift rod long section (still there) that was under the roots of a 8" wide tree. We dug enough to be able to slide it out from under the tree. The way the parts were laying imply this was a dump site, not a crash site. The metal detector would have been a problem as there were too many tin cans scattered through the area. We did have a pretty good look around 50 meters up and down the trail to see if there was another cash drop.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truck packed, heading for the 9pm ferry....drive through the night will be there by about 3:30 am....first light is around 4, bugs will be sleeping (I hope?)
Metal detector charging as I type Cool see ya tomorrow gordo!
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
Truck packed, heading for the 9pm ferry....drive through the night will be there by about 3:30 am....first light is around 4, bugs will be sleeping (I hope?)
Metal detector charging as I type Cool see ya tomorrow gordo!

good times hanging out with josh, jarrod & blaine tonight on the ferry to the mainland...these guys are ready for action! have a safe trip and a lot of fun guys, it's going to be great for you to continue this archaeological dig! keep us posted!

busdaddy wrote:

x2! i'm sure these guys will cover good ground! Cool

Zundfolge Car Club

Stock Motor Challenge website
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3:20am....made it Laughing waiting for some light...no rest for the wicked Cool
peterxxl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the low hanging fruit buses are gone, then we will start digging them out of the ground.

For barndoors those times are already here.

What a cool story

* 1961 Panel - my 1st VW - bought near Mexico City - traded for:
* 1959 Kombi - stored in Philly for now

Read my story here:
* Part 1 - Mexico City to Philadelphia
* Part 2 - Philadelphia to Europe - in progress
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:

So....? What else did you find that I had missed?

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool find!!

I don't think I could leave until I found the body! Time to get a BIIIIGG magnet.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great tale of adventure!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this turning into a "drive out" thread?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

i doubt it, Gordo took the steering wheel Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
campingbox wrote:

Like that would stop the drive out king (Kombisutra). He would fashion a steering wheel out of spare parts/twigs/a day old donut and be driving out in no time.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
mandraks wrote:
campingbox wrote:

Like that would stop the drive out king (Kombisutra). He would fashion a steering wheel out of spare parts/twigs/a day old donut and be driving out in no time.

Vice grips!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you've now made most folks on the samba instant avid hikers.

I've damn near done every trail in the PNW and I'd be lucky to cross a parted out 74 bug.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that reminds me, there is a bus off a cliff here in Prescott. I think it might be time to go look at it! Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be time to raise some bale money for Josh and his crew.

Not sure how Canada works... but digging up the side of a mountain in eye shot of a trail would get you shut down pretty quick in the states!

Hope that's not the case. This reminds me of that Indian motorcycle dig on Pickers. The home owners face was priceless as the hole in her back yard got larger and larger.
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
joshbuchan wrote:

So....? What else did you find that I had missed?

Gordo.

We made it home.....here's how this played out.......

At the show on Sunday afternoon, hungover we are bullshitting about this and I say "screw it lets leave tonight!" ......"OK" says Jarod. We both feel an uncontrollable illness coming on that will require a call in to work Monday.... "I'll come too" says his 73? Year old dad (awesome guy, big time Ford hotrodder)
Pack food, beer, digging tools, dolly and yes a metal detector.
Hit the 9pm ferry, that gets us to Vancouver for 10:45
I drive straight through the night, keep getting asked if want to switch out....nah I'm wired! Make wicked time blasting up to salmon arm area with no traffic averaging a buck30 (km) or 85ish mph for our American friends
Learned Blaine snores really loud! Wink
We arrive at the secret location at 3:20 am, still dark we look at each other and agree neither of us could sleep now haha
I forgot my headlamp, Jrod had his and I grab my iPhone and a shovel, we head up the trail that gordo described to me.
We get to a Y in the trail that I thought met the description, we dive into the dark bushes scouring around. Finding piles of old tin cans, garbage and assorted crap poking out from everywhere. I spy a seat sticking out, get all excited (thinking what iff it's a full length middle, or any BD, hell any VW seat!)
But no it's North American Evil or Very Mad shit there's another and another! But nothing good.....
45 mins of fumbling around in the bushes, Mosquitos are eating us already, area doesn't really match pics (really handy the area had cell service for the net) I had flip flops on still feet all cut up haha.....did I mention we were excited?? We regroup (old guy still sleeping) change, but spray (no help) and grab rest of tools, get back up there.....literally a 2 min walk up trail from truck. Go 100' further this time and bingo! (Little light helped a tich Rolling Eyes ) found the matress spring Gordo took pics of, beside it is fresh dirt, over the bank there's the frame/torsion hunk that he stashed! Cool! Now start digging!
Out pops the steering box/column, more raking, pic axing, brake pedal, gas tank support, spare tire tray drain tube (We think?), cow horns, heater tube, various cable conduits, steering tube bracket, mufflers by torsion housing, drag link and short tie rod etc were excavated.
This all went down between 3-9 am in the process we got devoured by mosquitoes (if anybody is wondering "deep woods" spray you've had for 25-30 years loses its effectiveness Mad ) Jrod was lucky enough to be on his hands and knees digging only to find an underground wasp nest....that was super sweet!
Stung a couple times....
I didn't take any pics other that one when we found the box and one of the rusty junk back home. Sorry, could have documented it a little better but minds were elsewhere.
Not the crazy find we were hoping for, we had time to recreate the scene from way back.......it was definitely an old dump site from the 70's (going off creepy headless dolls, furry disco boots and vintage of oil cans and rest of trash burried. Yes we looked hard, used the metal detector lots but like gordo said it was littered by metal garbage that sent us on lots of wild goose chases...best were the millions of hunks of coil bed springs rotting away all around the "gravesite"
To us it looked like someone cut up this poor barndoor (early 55 by looks of a few things) for a buggy project? Just the random parts found and many hours of CSI analyzing the scene led us to believe this was just a random pile of parts that got dumped with other crap in the pristine wilderness of the interior BC
We gave up around 10am and text every VW guy we knew in the area could think of.....everybody's working including Gordo who we wanted to stop and try and make a deal on the parts he found.....couldn't hang around Kelowna till 5 cause we would have had to spend another night so we bombed back to the ferry (with a few scenic unintentional detours) hit accident traffic around Hope that dragged the drive out an extra hour and a half....Jarrod tried to drive for about half hour but was doing the nods so I took the wheel again. Made the 6pm ferry home, looked at the trip meter when I pulled in....1100 km in 21 hours, $500 in fuel and ferry, 38 hours of zero sleep for me ....I tried to close eyes in back of truck on ferry but some douche bags car alarm kept going off in a BMW behind me.......I just about body slammed the torsion housing out of the back of my truck through their winsheild to give the alarm something to be alarmed about!! ....in case anybody is wondering you don't need to arm you alarm when you're parked on a ferry bouncing across the ocean!!!!
Are we disappointed? No (well maybe a tad) it was a risk of a trip and we had a blast!!!

Many thanks to Gordo for the tips on this wild goose chase, you're a standup dude man!!
the torsion housing is a little bit (not much) better than the one we have.....Gordo don't sell any of those parts yet, I really hope we can come to a deal on the goodies you found, they will really help our build!!
That's it lunch is over back to dragging my ass through the workday! Cool

Oh the whopping 2 pics we took.... Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: