Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leveling out
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandenmance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Leveling out Reply with quote

I have been doing a lot of reading form after forum.
All about lowering, raising and loading.
I carry my vespa on the back of my 72 crossover camper when we go away but I like to sit level or should I say I like to sleep level as I am sure every one wants to. I Have adjusted my blades so my van sited level unloaded, basically sleeping position. So that is great! However once loaded for the weekend with the vespa the the back will drop 1 1/2" to 2" measuring on the bumper. This still dose not effect the front steering handling but my, It only effect the silly look of the sagging rear end.

So now I have readjusted the blades and when loaded all is level! Great!! Not really because when you off load you are driving down hill all the time. At the same time saving a bit of gas!!

Thought about fitting air bags but I thing it is a bit OTT! for what I need.

So the question is, Can I fit rear air shocks to help with this extra load.
They will not be carrying the load but just supporting and helping with the load.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link for Air Shocks. You may need to give the shock mounts additional support. Some members have reported the shock mounts breaking.
click on link
Search Air Shocks

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the front is lightly sprung in relation to the rear, and will drop noticeably when the front seats are occupied by two normal adults. Also note that because of the way leverage works, adding a heavy load to the rear bumber will also take load from the front causing it to raise.
brandenmance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Remember that the front is lightly sprung in relation to the rear, and will drop noticeably when the front seats are occupied by two normal adults. Also note that because of the way leverage works, adding a heavy load to the rear bumber will also take load from the front causing it to raise.

That is a good point. If you have two ppl up front it adding +/- 150 kg to an already loaded van. With a 100kg hanging off the back there must be a balance point some were. ie. set camper back to level unloaded ride height. Load it all up including to test dummys up front and check all riding heights again.
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could try the lazy man's approach and just carry an assortment of leveling blocks to level your rig for sleeping, camping or whatever else you might need to be level to do. This way you can be level front to back and side to side, and less labor intensive to boot. You asked, I replied, the choice, of course is up to you.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually try to park so that one plane is level, either side to side or front to back. Then I just use the factory jack to lift the lowest corner to bring it close to level. The advantage of this is it keeps the bus from rocking nearly as much if someone rolls over. Or if other things are happening that might cause the bus to rock...

This is also easier than trying to guess where and how many leveling blocks to place. If in a real slopy place, I'll drive one corner on a lift (usually rock) off some kind and jack the other. Have to be a little strategic because the jack can get in the way of the slider.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to level the bus???

I go high-tech.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: