Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaky Oil Screen assembly
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminum is still very soft...
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkeyworth wrote:
Ive never seen cork gaskets for the sump plate. Poster must have switched engine areas and was thinking of valve cover gaskets.

I just misspoke. I said cork, but meant paper. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Oil Screen assembly Reply with quote

Hey gang.......Any updates/suggestions for similar per my dilema below...

#1.) Changed oil on my new '56 (40hp 1200). I pulled plate & screen too but immediately noticed 3 of the cap nuts came off, but the other 3 (literally every--other one) came off with the stud.

#2.) Noticed some silicone used in the previous owners oil change. (Never a good sign)

#3.) Cleaned all surfaces & did a legit change

#4.) ONE of the studs had the dreaded nut/stud that will not tighten ---- i.e. STRIPPED CASE THREADS! Evil or Very Mad Mad Rolling Eyes

So I recall those stepped studs where you could "up" the size into the case, but as a couple of suggestions looking to get those 3 that the studs come out squared away (Maybe just RED LOCTITE those in??? or should I step those too??)

Or.........any better more modern solution all around? (I'm in the machine tool world so I have access to any size tap I need)

TIA
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky Oil Screen assembly Reply with quote

helicoil all of them.

https://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/tools/accessories/helicoil-thread-repair-kits-master-sets

Don
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Oil Screen assembly Reply with quote

Indeed, although I'm a fan of utilizing existing good holes while I can.

I have access to HeliCoil so will definitely do at least the bad hole + the 3 that have loosed their studs since I want to preserve the case's finite-life holes as efficiently as possible. Wink

Without doing another oil swap & measuring myself right now.....Anyone know the thickness of the threaded part of the case there??

M6 x 1.0 inserts at the standard 1.5x thread diameter would be approximately 3/8" thick (more like .360" actually so just under 3/8") but I could also possibly get some 1x diameter inserts too.

TIA (y)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: