Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Planning a week long trip to BC
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Planning a week long trip to BC Reply with quote

Hey all. Planning a trip to BC in August and wanted to get some feedback from the community.

I'm a bit weary of crossing the border. A VW vanagon with a long haired guy and two dogs in it pretty much fits the profile... I mean, if I were a border guard I'd pull my van over into the inspection line! Of course I plan on having all my paper work in order, passport, health certificates for the dogs, current insurance and registration, etc. Is there anything else I should consider?

Is there a type of Discovery Pass I need to camp and visit the parks?

Where's the best place to cross the border? Is one town easier to cross than the others?

And finally... If anyone has site seeing suggestions or places to stop or places to avoid, I'm all ears.

Thanks everyone!

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem crossing the border from either side, not even with my old Tiger Van!
Now that the CDN dollar is weak against the US, the border lineups are pretty minimal at all crossings. If you really want to go out of your way to avoid a lineup, Sumas is best.
If you like to imbibe in spirits while camping I would stop at one of the Duty Free shops at the Pacific Crossing before entering Canada and stock up. Booze is very expensive and highly taxed here.
You don't need any passes for camping but pretty much all the provincial and national parks require reservations well in advance. This has put me off using them altogether, so now I consult a Backroads Map Book and find rec sites that are out of the way and seldom require fees:
http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/
Have fun!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're polite and respectful, have all your paperwork in order and aren't trying to smuggle handguns across the border, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Are you going east or west? If you head out to the coast, drop by!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take a scenic route on Highway 97 to Oroville, WA and cross at one of the tiniest border crossings. This is open limited hours, between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm.

You will then be in Osoyoos, BC, which is a nice place to camp for a night and swim in Lake Osoyoos. On the Oroville WA side, there is a state park.

In BC, there are many provincial parks, many more "Forest Service Recreation Sites", and lots of just plain old free camping on Crown (ie provincial government) land. In Washington, most of the rural land is privately owned and rural landowners tend to be well-armed, but not always hostile.

Here's a link to a great Provincial Park not far from Osoyoos in BC's "Boundary Country", so named because it is on the boundary of two zones that have very different climate, flora and fauna:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/kettle_rv/

This Provincial Park will spoil you in that it is one of the very few in BC that actually features showers and running water. Most BC provincial parks are more rustic with large sites, but pit toilets and no showers. By the same token, most such parks are on water features, so bathing is just done publicly, not privately.

The Kettle River meanders for many, many miles and along its banks are a number of Forest Service Recreation Sites. Here is a link to some of those sites:

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-resul...;type=Site

Here is a link to my favourite among those sites:
http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-resul...;type=Site

There is a great degree of variability in forest service rec sites and also in the fees that operators charge (some are free), but they are always cheaper than provincial parks. They tend top be more wilderness-oriented.

The "Interactive Website" allows you to click on any Forest Service Rec Site in the Province and get info and pictures. These are great Westfalia sites because you bring pretty much everything you need with you.

If you end up in the Highway 99 corridor (from Squamish to Whistler to Pemberton), then you can venture up almost any logging road and find fantastic free camping.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips guys. I've been looking at road maps, and I might cross over at Oroville. I've just done the 90 to I-5N route so many times over the years I'm a bit bored of the scenery. And starting from central WA it's pretty easy for me to catch 97 at Ellensburg and head up. A smaller border crossing is more appealing to me also.

I'm meeting up with someone from Roberts Creek, but I wasn't planning on heading over to the coast. Sorry Jake, I'll have to take you up on your offer another time! Likewise if you're ever rolling through the Yakima valley let me know! As of now we're thinking of meeting somewhere in the middle... So if I take 97 up and cross over at Oroville/Osoyoos, and were heading north and west from there, is the southern route or northern route more scenic?

I could go 3 to to 5A, 3 to 5, or 3 to 1? It looks like the other option would just be to head all the way up 97 and hit the 1. Not sure if we're going to head out to Banf of Jasper, but it's a possibility. What's there to do in/around Kamloops?

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the border goes I've never had any issue with the Canadians, it's the Americans that are a PIA. On the camping front, definitely get the "Backroads Map book" for the region you are visiting. The details combined with tips and, most importantly, free campsite listings are well worth the cost. Both gasoline & beer are much more expensive in Canada, fill up cooler and tank before crossing though the dropping Loonie helps a bit.

Don't even think of bringing a handgun. They also ask about Bear spray, which is weird because the one I carry I bought in Canada. I just lie & deny, but some day I might tell the truth and see what happens.

Kamloops: bring your fish pole!
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
highaltidude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent a week in BC in the Vanagon last summer......

Border agents don't like GoPro cameras. If you are using one to film your road trip, take it down before they see it. They're a bit camera shy and don't mind telling you, in not very polite terms....
Smile

Ferry rides are cool......

We've also done BC on the motorcycles....

We have yet to fine a bad place up there.....
Enjoy!!!!

Leave all the firearms at home.....

Chuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish there was an easier way to link to this, but

go here

1) http://maps.gov.bc.ca/ess/hm/imap4m/

2) click "I want to..." in the top left, then "Add DataBC map layers"

3) enter "Forest Recreation Sites", and click OK

4) see all the free camping

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:

I could go 3 to to 5A, 3 to 5, or 3 to 1? It looks like the other option would just be to head all the way up 97 and hit the 1. Not sure if we're going to head out to Banf of Jasper, but it's a possibility. What's there to do in/around Kamloops?
-Kevin

avoid hwy 1 as much as you can. it is the trucker route. hwy 3 lovely. so much fruit along hwy 3 (keremeos). also, going north via lillooet then down through whistler/squamish is great (hwy 99).
syncrosafetysam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: BC trip Reply with quote

I would come up at Peace Arch, drive through Vancouver and head up the mountains on the Sea to Sky Highway-it is an absolutely beautiful drive up the mountains and along the coast. Lots of free camping up the Squamish logging roads, and also some great provincial campsites. Before Squamish there is Porteau Cove, and just before Pemberton is Nairn Falls. . . there are quite a few more in there but those we've stayed at and enjoyed. If you are brave you could drive the Duffy Lake road-a remote stretch of winding road that connects Pemberton to Lilloet. Lots of room to pull off and camp, and super breathtaking views.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: BC trip Reply with quote

syncrosafetysam wrote:
I would come up at Peace Arch, drive through Vancouver and head up the mountains on the Sea to Sky Highway-it is an absolutely beautiful drive up the mountains and along the coast. Lots of free camping up the Squamish logging roads, and also some great provincial campsites. Before Squamish there is Porteau Cove, and just before Pemberton is Nairn Falls. . . there are quite a few more in there but those we've stayed at and enjoyed. If you are brave you could drive the Duffy Lake road-a remote stretch of winding road that connects Pemberton to Lilloet. Lots of room to pull off and camp, and super breathtaking views.

The Elaho and Sechelt fires are obscuring the view at present.

You might want to consult this map before heading out:
http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer/?siteid=5131184402955244847

I would recommend Highway 1 through the Fraser Canyon. Its one of the most spectacular drives in BC and now that the trucks all take Hwy 5 its pretty peaceful, too.
Hwy 1 from Hope to Spences Bridge and then Hwy 8 across to Merritt is absolutely gorgeous. Smile
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I declared my bear spray when we entered Canada, at several locations. They did not care at all. You can not bring personal protection pepper spray but it seems the big cans of bear repellant are fine. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
Thanks for all the tips guys. I've been looking at road maps, and I might cross over at Oroville. I've just done the 90 to I-5N route so many times over the years I'm a bit bored of the scenery. And starting from central WA it's pretty easy for me to catch 97 at Ellensburg and head up. A smaller border crossing is more appealing to me also.

I'm meeting up with someone from Roberts Creek, but I wasn't planning on heading over to the coast. Sorry Jake, I'll have to take you up on your offer another time! Likewise if you're ever rolling through the Yakima valley let me know! As of now we're thinking of meeting somewhere in the middle... So if I take 97 up and cross over at Oroville/Osoyoos, and were heading north and west from there, is the southern route or northern route more scenic?

-Kevin

Well, Kevin, it all depends on what yer lookin' for. To begin with, however, I think the southern route on Highway 3 is more scenic than the northern route on highway 1. One option is a "hot springs circle tour". From Osoyoos, you could take Highway 3 to Nelson, a nice picturesque former mining town (and the location for the Steve Martin movie "Roxanne") and from there go along Kootenay Lake to the Ainsworth Hot Springs, or take a different route to Nakusp and the Nakusp Hot Springs (they have a campground) and later the Halcyon Hot Springs resort (which also has camping).
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are headed to Nelson tomorrow for a few days. Doing the hot spring tour then over to Fernie. Wave if you see a maroon syncro westy with montana plates
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't been before, you will like Nelson. Lots of good casual dining and a beautiful lakeside location.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
If you haven't been before, you will like Nelson. Lots of good casual dining and a beautiful lakeside location.

We go about once a year. Stay at kokanee creek park, if there is space. This year we have a 1 month old with us for the journey, so fingers crossed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha. i'll be at kokanee creek this sunday for the week, for the family jam (mmm?) camp. we'll be over in the group camping with other noise makers. i'm hoping that the ring side seat for the sitkum creek fire won't cause any issues.

we tried to stay there a year or two ago, but had bad timing because shambhala was on the week before/after (it is august 7-10 this year, so camping near nelson before/after will be busy). that year we camped on the other side of the lake; https://goo.gl/maps/XPn9h and it was not half as busy and still pretty lovely/easy (the ferry over is free).
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what type of camping you are into, but we love Lake Okanogon provincial campground near Summerland and they just updated the facilities there. Flush toilets everywhere, new showers, and a dish washing station. Great for "Weekender/tintop" guys.
As some one mentioned most of the reserved spots are gone for the summer, but always double check, if someone cancels you can find an available spot that wasn't there in the morning we have several times. They also still keep some unreserved spots for first come first serve. You can check availablity through the Provincial parks reservation system at
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/reserve/

Also note there are firebans in place over the entire province including campfires you can check local restrictions on http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
1985 Mercedes 380sl
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a week long trip to BC Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
I'm a bit weary of crossing the border. -Kevin

Some of the most common questions you'll get going through Canadian customs ***as a Yank*** are -- do you own a firearm, do you have it with you now, where are you going and for how long, do you have enough funds, have you been arrested for DUI or illegal drugs before. BTW - carry a receipt from the ATM dated no longer than a month prior proving you have sufficient funds ** IF ** they ask. Other than declaring stuff you legally need to, only answer questions and don't volunteer anything else.

Both the US and CA customs share and have all the information about you on their computer systems, likely more than even you know about yourself. It is very important to get your story straight and never lie. Caught lying is one excellent way with either customs to spend your vacation in their offices.

Going through a checkpoint in a small vs. large urban place is no guarantee you will not be pulled over for secondary inspection. This can occur due to suspicion or ***just at random***. Bring along a newspaper and a pen to do the crosswords puzzle while you wait. It's no big deal if you're clean, just takes more time.

Coming back into the US some customs people are on more of power trip. They may be impolite. Typical questions will be what did you buy and how much spent (they're talking about souvenirs and etc, not gas, food, lodging), where were you and for how long, what was the purpose of the visit, were you born in the US, etc. Always be polite, get your story together, and be honest and straight forward. No joking or complaining no matter what. Short, polite, direct answers to the questions.

If they ask you how long you were in Canada you say two weeks. You don't say two weeks, three hours and 24 seconds. If they ask you how was the trip you say fine, I had a good time. You don't give them a 1 hour travelogue response. Get it ? Short and direct.

For the most part you have nothing to worry about unless you have something to hide, flip-flop on answers to their questions, or lied and they know better.

Firearms in Canada include archery, slingshots, BB guns, personal pepper or ? sprays, basically anything that can be used as a weapon that hurls something other than a frying pan. As already mentioned, larger canisters of anti-bear spray are ok but you should declare. I like Alaska Guard brand because it's approved in Canada. They've never confiscated it.

You can take firearms into Canada if you declare them at the border and they are approved like hunting rifles and shotguns. There's a form to fill out and some fees but it's not hard. The Canadians love it when you declare stuff ahead of time rather than try to sneak it through.

Before you go it's important you check your rig thoroughly for any target air-guns you forgot about in back under a towel or firecrackers left stored in the glove box, etc., and clear that stuff out. Know what's in your rig.

Having said all this, treat it all as an interesting and even fun experience and don't sweat it because you look like Charles Manson with two attack dogs on a drug pick-up mission Wink
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a week long trip to BC Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Know what's in your rig.

Having said all this, treat it all as an interesting and even fun experience and don't sweat it because you look like Charles Manson with two attack dogs on a drug pick-up mission Wink

yep. except the drugs are more legal down south these days.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: