Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

removing sliding track cover & where to buy new rubber s
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Sliding Door All Reply with quote

To link to this post
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7753109#7753109]Sliding Door All[/url]

Sliding door seal orientation

Thanks to mayor ratwell.
Sliding Door

Thanks to Amskeptic.
Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh
Sliding Door Support Roller Refresh FAQ

68-73 Sliding Door+Directions+Operating+Operation+Using

Sliding Door Interior Overhaul Part I
Sliding Door Interior Overhaul Part II
Sliding Door Interior Overhaul Part III

Sliding door, threshold, sill plate-panek, scuff plate,ID

VW Bus Sliding Door Repair Part-1
VW Bus Sliding Door Repair Part-2

211 843 755 Sliding Door Retainer Spring

Sliding Door Handle Inner

Sliding door not closing Late bay

Good Luck
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnyDemonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Are you talking about the track cover along the belt line just behind the sliding door?

Yes, can be a bit tricky, but be careful with it. Sometimes they do get stuck. I use a block of wood (like a 2x4) and a rubber mallet. Start at the back, making sure you have cleared the tab that the screw goes through.

Once you get it loosened up a little, work your way forward. It should come out at an angle, with the rear end up first. When you get to the front, you will have to do a little sort of shimmy, bring it out at an angle combined with a little rear slide. You'll see.

Just be careful not to bend anything.

Once out, clean up that track really well. It may need some rust treatment and repaint. Check the nylon block on the slider for wear.

Both sides come out the same way, even though there is a door only on one side.

The rubber strips you are looking for are called welting. Various vendors have it. It's not expensive.

thanks for this info! I'll give it a whack when i get home! Smile
RunningRough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: removing sliding track cover & where to buy new rubb Reply with quote

JohnnyDemonic wrote:
how the heck do you get this thing off? I've removed the 2 screws & it appears that it should just lift out, but it is stuck like chuck

Do you have a Bentley? Definitely refer to it on this. I just took this off of my 1970 2 weekends ago. There are two larger screws to get, also a smaller screw that is a couple inches long. The philips head of this longer screw is accessible from inside the bus. There is also a tensioning strip that needs to be loosened before you start to hit the track cover. The track cover will not want to move until you take the tension off of the tensioning strip.
Solex 34 PICT-3
Flame Thrower Dist, Vacuum Advance

1982 Vanagon Diesel L
Diesel engine replaced with 1984 VW Golf engine
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the track cover along the belt line just behind the sliding door?

Yes, can be a bit tricky, but be careful with it. Sometimes they do get stuck. I use a block of wood (like a 2x4) and a rubber mallet. Start at the back, making sure you have cleared the tab that the screw goes through.

Once you get it loosened up a little, work your way forward. It should come out at an angle, with the rear end up first. When you get to the front, you will have to do a little sort of shimmy, bring it out at an angle combined with a little rear slide. You'll see.

Just be careful not to bend anything.

Once out, clean up that track really well. It may need some rust treatment and repaint. Check the nylon block on the slider for wear.

Both sides come out the same way, even though there is a door only on one side.

The rubber strips you are looking for are called welting. Various vendors have it. It's not expensive.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyDemonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: removing sliding track cover & where to buy new rubber s Reply with quote

how the heck do you get this thing off? I've removed the 2 screws & it appears that it should just lift out, but it is stuck like chuck

also, where can i find new rubber gasket for this thing once I have removed it? I dont want to put the old one back as it is pretty crusty & brittle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: