Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

An extra $700 to spend, but where to spend it?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you spend Kevin's money?
GW cruise control
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Vanistan oil cooler
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
GW stainless steel exhaust
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
T3 suspension upgrade
42%
 42%  [ 12 ]
New upholstery for jump seat and rear bench/bed
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Other (please specify)
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 28

61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: An extra $700 to spend, but where to spend it? Reply with quote

So... I've got an extra $700 bucks in my westy fund and am looking to spend it on some upgrades. I don't need to spend all of it at once, and perhaps I should save up some more for something else? Where do you think I'll get the best value for my money?

Here are some of the items I'm considering:

-Go Westy cruise control. I've got bad knees from years of construction and wrenching. I've noticed the throttle bothers my right knee after a long spell of driving.

-Vanistan oil cooler. I'm considering this for longevity reasons, to protect my RJE 2.3. I'm sure I could figure something out myself, but Chris has a nice kit at a fair price.

-Go Westy stainless steel exhaust. My exhaust is actually in fine shape being a west coast rig its whole life. But the stainless is sexy.

-T3 full suspension upgrade. The tin top project received an all polyurethane upgrade, and it's super sweet. My factory suspension actually looks pretty good and rides decently, but will eventually need upgrading. As it sits I figure I can get another season or two before I will *need* to do this job.

-New upholstery. My front seats are in good shape, but my jump seat and rear bench/bed are in horrible condition. They're covered, but look kinda cruddy honestly. I have a local upholstery guy who does nice work.

-Something else I haven't considered or forget about? Maybe a blazecut system? An ARB fridge? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks all.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an emergency repair fund?
It's your van, asking us what to add is hard, there are so many possibilities!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil cooler...hands down
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's your money, I'll spend it on what I'd like but won't be buying: Recaro seats (or at least one). I heart CC in other vehicles but can't imagine using it in a Vanagon.

Before the oil cooler I'd buy oil temp and pressure gauges to establish a baseline.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would spend it on something to make it more reliable and/or safer.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
How about an emergency repair fund?
It's your van, asking us what to add is hard, there are so many possibilities!

Very true. Oh, this is just a thread for fun! Another thread of questionable usefulness riddled with personal opinions.

And yes, every vanagon owner should have an emergency repair fund! This is all fun money. The emergency fund is not being dipped into.

Zeitgeist- Are you running one? Do you have any pictures of the install? Good results? It's hard to tell from the photos on Vanistan's website, but it looks as though there's roughly 4-5 feet of hose that loops around the long way to the right rear corner... is that right? Thanks.

jimf909- good point on the gauges and establishing baseline.

Alika t3- I hear you. My van is overall in very good/decent shape. I chip away at it as time and money allows. I'm leaning more towards the oil cooler though, for the reason you mention.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning into a frivolous chat board.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:

I get where you are coming from, and in many respects I'd agree with you concerning the quality and content of the vanagon forum at large.

This is admittedly a fun post, a thought process type post... no different than deciding what tires to buy or what engine conversion to tackle. Do I actually need help deciding where to spend my money? Not really. But at times these threads can reveal an error in thought... like someone about to buy an engine from GEX or a crappy van off of ebay. These threads can also reveal new products or services. Just the other day I learned about Mr. Injector after using Witchhunter Performance for years and years.

As I stated in my first post, I'm open to suggestions/feedback. If you have one, I'm all ears. Seems to me your post above is the first one that adds nothing to this particular discussion. I feel I've helped many people and added enough content here to warrant some slack. If I've somehow personally offended you I assure you that was not my intent, and would be happy to iron things out in private.

Namaste.

-Kevin

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching my friend build an RJE 2.3 for a couple months, and I'm hoping to get an opportunity to drive it sometime this week. I installed an oil temp/press gauge set for him, and while he was breaking in the engine, he recorded pre/post 10cent cooler install specs. I don't have those specs on me right now, but I recall that he saw a 20 degree drop in temps, with a commensurate increase in pressures after the install. As you know, we've been experiencing a record setting heatwave here in the PNW, so that cooler is rather timely insurance. Seems like money well spent.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New bearings on all four wheels and new CV joints. Reliable is fun.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always kept an Excel spreadsheet for my Vanagon, where I make list of the mods/repairs I want to do, prioritize the need, research the parts, select my vendors, crunch the numbers.

Then, looking at the list, I can decide where I want to spend this months "car payment". The list helps me avoid putting off required maintenance because I got fixated about the latest cool gadget. Let's be honest, repacking the rear wheel bearings is not going to elicit any oohs and aahs at the next VW Meet.

As I read through other threads and see something I want to copy, I pull up my spreadsheet and start a new tab and start filling in the research.

As I buy and install parts I move it to a completed tab, with dates and dollars spent. Kind of anal? Perhaps, but it's a fun process for me. Just don't tell Lady Shadetree about this spreadsheet. Shocked Laughing

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say you should go for the cruise control cause if you are in pain driving, you wont want to drive. Sounds like you have the van in good mechanical condition. Make sure you are comfortable driving, at least not in pain. I was able to install factory cruise control in my westy syncro, have had the van over 20 year, and I love the CC. Installed this myself in a couple hours, much less if you know what you are doing, way under $700.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:

OUCH! Razz
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the oil cooler feedback, Zeitgeist. A 20 degree drop is significant enough to sell me. Looks like I'll be ordering a Vanistan oil cooler today. If you all are interested, I'll document and take photos to post up.

Shadetree- Great idea on the spreadsheet, I should be better organized and streamline my thought process, but that's just not me I suppose. Old habits die hard. I just keep a folder on every vehicle, notate the mileage and date maintenance is done, etc. I do however, use the "car payment" argument to justify my spending habits. Smile

Furrylittleotter- Done and done.

Davideric9- Thanks for the feedback. Good to know, and the more I thought about things, the more I want the cruise control. I don't think my knees are going to get any better without surgery (which is probably on the horizon honestly) and in the meantime this should give me some comfort.

So the verdict is... Vanistan oil cooler and GW cruise control. Yeah, it bumps me over the $700, but hey... I own a vanagon, so I'm used to it.

-Kevin

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
fraggle00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine driving my van without cruise control - though I have a WBX, so it's pretty much set it and forget it and understand you're not in a hurry.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the CC and oil cooler. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your choices. CC has been on my spreadsheet for a while now. Laughing

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: