Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To repair or not to repair. That is the question!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
little_waters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: To repair or not to repair. That is the question! Reply with quote

I have an air cooled 81 vanagon camper. The body is in pretty mint condition. Literally no rust on it, new shocks, lots of work done to keep it looking nice, and generally well maintained. But the engine is tired and I just found out there's no compression in the #2 cylinder.

I have no experience with car repairs but I really really want to learn! Now my question is, do I fork over the cash for a mechanic to repair this or do I attempt to do this as a learning exercise and try to fix it myself? This might be more than I can chew but thought I'd ask for the advice of the more experienced owners on this thread. Would this be a good project for me to learn on?

Also, would it be worth me just fixing the one cylinder? The engine has over 300k on it. Should I consider a full rebuild? Or I've read of some ppl installing plumbing and adding a jetta or subaru engine. Is this even worth looking into?

I'm in Vancouver so I'd be taking the car to Adria Imports if I were to get it repaired. Tried the Bug Shop but they had a 3 week wait list to even look at the van. Anyone have any experience with either of them?

Thanks!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bug Shop has a three week waiting list for a reason; they are the best in BC. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty handy and work on my vans, but when it comes to internal engine work..I leave that to my mech. I know Ed from Bug shop dealt with him before, no exp with Adria but everytime I drove by it there's westy's everywhere..must be busy. I take mine to Dwaine's in Langley, he's pretty good. Known him for years now. I would just get it rebuilt or fixed. As for the engine convert. If you have the cash that's an idea. Though air cooled are pretty easy to work on.
But definitely not something I would tackle to learn on if I don't have mechanical exp.
Good luck.
little_waters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
Ok so probably won't be trying to fix that myself then...

Hmmm maybe I should just hold out for Ed to take care of it.
Is there anyone else in Vancouver that anyone would recommend?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's common on an air cooled motor for low compression to be just a valve adjustment. Make sure that's all you need before you go tearing into the engine.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can certainly learn to rebuild an engine, and an air cooled VW is a really good place to start

go slow, take your time and double check everything

take a course at a community college for fundamentals

it's all in repair manuals, it isn't like you are hotrodding some titanium Porsche motor with 16 cylinders
little_waters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would a leak down test tell me if it's just the valve?

Taking a course is a great idea! I've looked in the past and mostly came up with full time/apprentice programs (no evening courses for just beginners) but I'll look again. I have the Bentley, and the How to Keep your VW Alive which I find helpful. A rebuild on my own might be pretty daunting at this point with out help though. Also I don't have a garage Smile so that could be a challenge.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also fairly common for 0 compression on an air-cooled to be a dropped valve seat which would require replacing the cyl head but not necessarily splitting the case.

Wilson's book on rebuilding air-cooleds is really good. Just double-check the torque specs with the Bentley as there are errors.
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
you can certainly learn to rebuild an engine, and an air cooled VW is a really good place to start

I have had engine work done at both places over the years but I recently did a top end rebuild myself. I had Ed do the heads for me, he's a great guy and always worth the wait.

I had very little experience or knowledge going in to it but I was lucky enough to find a running engine for a very good price from a parts van. Thinking of it as a "spare" gave me the confidence to tear into it without worrying to much. Once I succeeded in making that one run again I rebuilt my "good" engine and am currently driving it. Just did a 3000 km trip around Oregon and back!

The Jake Raby "Bug Me" video is very helpful in addition to the Bentley and Wilson books. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on this forum but dependent on what's wrong (and your motivation and tool collection) I absolutely agree that you could learn to do it yourself.

If you have the space and the tools I would dig in and see what you find - if it's something simple try putting it back together yourself and if it's not take the pieces to Ed.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also possible that one of the hydraulic lifters is failing to pump up correctly, but dropping a valve seat is not unheard of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it fails the testing, you want a garage, carport, or "flat place" to R&R the engine, and to clean it

I rebuilt my Bus motor in a living room...
little_waters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad2d and Merian - Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to rebuild your engines?

Sounds like that book by Tom Wilson would be good to have even if I don't do a full rebuild
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea - it was the '70s - I rebuilt and hotrodded a Pooschey motor about 10 years ago, but don't recall how long that took either

if you had all the parts, tools, etc. laid out ready to go you could do it in a few days - assuming some machinist didn't take a long time working on the heads

figure on a few weeks if you are good at task mgmt.

or... buy a used motor and rebuild that, then swap them & rebuild the other one & sell it
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with car repairs and the first thing you want to try and tackle is potentially a motor rebuild? How much time and money (for tools) are you willing to spend?

There's plenty of folks that are self taught and damn good mechanics, but I'd advise taking a more metered approach to learning about car repairs. Your van isn't the most complicated thing to roam the roads, but there are still a lot of parts that make it move.

Maybe try and fix some easier things first and if that goes well then gradually move toward your motor. If these first, "easier" repairs don't go well then make an appointment with a qualified mechanic and thank yourself that you didn't get yourself in over your head.

My two pennies.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
little_waters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks zippyslug, this is exactly why I'm asking if trying to fix this issue is too much for this newb. Definitely don't plan on doing a rebuild with my experience at this point without help, but want to explore my options since the engine may not need to be rebuilt. I want to learn, but maybe this isn't the right project for that.

I'm super interested in hearing how others tackled a rebuild with little experience.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can do this, but expect to do it wrong a few times along the way and have to go back and 'fix' things. If you have the patience there isn't any good reason why you should not do it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
little_waters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea of getting a second running engine from a parts van and rebuilding that as a way to learn. There are some DIY labs and co-ops here in Vancouver so I could potentially become a member and use that space to learn and make a mess in. But that would be the long term goal..
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100tacos wrote:
I'm super interested in hearing how others tackled a rebuild with little experience.

Just to clarify - in my case I did "top end" rebuilds. Which means I did not open the case or rebuild anything inside it.

I would bet a taco that your compression problem will be found in the heads or cylinders (dropped seat, burnt valve, broken ring, etc.) and as long as you address it soon enough your "bottom end" will be fine.

Replacing a cylinder head is relatively easy. Dealing with the pistons & cylinders is a bit more involved but still not that bad - easier to buy new ones than it is to hone and re-ring.

Pulling the engine and removing the FI system and all the cooling tin requires space, tools, and a knack for organization/labelling but I think it's well within the realm of the average handy persons capabilities. Nothing that tricky about it, just a lot of wrenching. Just take lots of pictures and bag everything neatly so you can put it back together properly.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more shops of note in Vancouver:
http://www.rudyandpetermotors.com/
http://www.georgeandbernysrepairs.com/

I think Rudy and Peter is more aircooled friendly.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air cooled engines appear simple, but getting them built properly is a dying art. The proper parts are expensive. Cylinder heads are the parts most prone to failure on these engines.

Realistically, the Type 4 engine was marginal even for the Bay window bus, which weighed hundreds of pounds less than the Vanagon Westfalia. If you are okay with always driving slowly to preserve the engine, you might find a rebuilt AC engine acceptable.

I never thought I would say this, but have you considered a wasserboxer engine as a conversion? With the numbers of engine conversions going on, there are a lot of running WBX engines for sale on the Samba and various Craigslist sites and Ebay. The WBX is not that much less expensive to rebuild, but at least it will outlast an AC engine in hard usage. I know that some folks with AC vanagons and good maintenance habits will chime in about the long life of their type 4 engines, but I believe these people and their vans to be exceptions to the rule. The WBX will give you far more power and greater reliability.

If you are patient, you can find deals on people removing the less sexy of conversion engines (eg Subaru 2.2 being replaced with 2.5, Tiico conversions, etc) where the engine wiring harness is already complete and working.

If you are worried about the classic status of the AC Vanagon, it is possible, I believe, to get enough radiator air without cutting the lower grill opening, but you would need to build an air scoop under the bumper and take care with ducting.

Replacing the AC engine with a conversion engine also means you will have heat in winter!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: