Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

I appreciate the info that has been posted on the 4 wire sensor. I would mention that the 4-wire connector is readily available new for cheap.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

A single-wire sensor likely has no ground path if mounted in an original plastic fitting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

re the aaz coolant sensor.

I had an aaz put in my 1982 diesel vw van, the mechanic appears to have replaced the sensor with one that has a single connection.
Problem is the gauge on the dash blinks when ignition is turned on but the gauge fails to work ?
Power is getting to the gauge but it does nothing?

Mechanic blames the gauge, but it worked fine before the engine swop..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

357 919 501
green ring
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

Would the proper AAZ later coolant sensor p/n be: 357-919-501A ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

Thanks. I also reread the URL Waldi posted. I'll revisit my coolant temp sensor idea. The later AAZ temp sensor (need to dig that p/n) may be the way to go for this. I can use the cylender head alone then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

rotaecho wrote:
forgive my ignorance here,

But in trying to duplicate the 1.6na glow plug setup for the mTDI AHU, I thought the glow-plug sensor was done off the end of the block with (p/n 068121145K) or similar from the 1.6na? Since the flange on the AHU (p/n 028121145) with the coolant glow-plugs aren't needed.

Would this just turn into another "additional" sensor where the late AAZ sensor in the AHU (028121132A) flange would handle both conditions (glow-plug / coolant temps) with that single sensor?

Thanks for the clarity, just trying to understand it.

The AAZ sensor is two sensors in one - for temp gauge and for glow relay. The original AHU sensor in this spot was for temp gauge and ECU temp sensor. The AHU end of cyl. head flange can just be used as-is, no worries with leaving the coolant plugs in place.
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

forgive my ignorance here,

But in trying to duplicate the 1.6na glow plug setup for the mTDI AHU, I thought the glow-plug sensor was done off the end of the block with (p/n 068121145K) or similar from the 1.6na? Since the flange on the AHU (p/n 028121145) with the coolant glow-plugs aren't needed.

Would this just turn into another "additional" sensor where the late AAZ sensor in the AHU (028121132A) flange would handle both conditions (glow-plug / coolant temps) with that single sensor?

Thanks for the clarity, just trying to understand it.

westyventures wrote:
Waldi wrote:
You can use the late AAZ 4 pin sensor.
There you have temp gauge and pre glow signal.

One of the few times I totally agree with Waldi. Wink

The AAZ sensor is accurate for the gauge + the glow plug relay. Why make it more difficult and expensive when the sensor does the job perfectly?

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:

One of the few times I totally agree with Waldi. Wink

The AAZ sensor is accurate for the gauge + the glow plug relay. Why make it more difficult and expensive when the sensor does the job perfectly?
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew,

It looked like it'd interferer with the IP lines, nice to know it wouldn't.

Nice tid-bit thanks!

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
There isn't any interference with injection lines, but the new angle means that the bypass hose is too short. I added a coupler and an angled section of hose.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

There isn't any interference with injection lines, but the new angle means that the bypass hose is too short. I added a coupler and an angled section of hose.
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

So, I have the AHU (used engine) next to the long-block I'm building up.

In the photo below is the 1.6na 068121133M flange against the AHU engine. It looks like it'd interferrier with the injector lines. What creativity did you use to get this to work for you Libby? Did you bend the injector lines?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I really like that adaptor made for the older style with the AHU 028121132A flange (which I found an aluminum version online of).

Thanks for any insight!
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's slick! Do you have one to sell?

svenakela wrote:
On the conversions I've made I have taken the coolant sensor from the old engine and made up a small adapter.

Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1pin to 4pin Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring for mTDI conversion Reply with quote

I'm actually visiting this now on my AHU mTDI conversion. This is for trying to simplify the coolant wiring/sensor for the mTDI build.

The parts are ordered and I am trying to swap a 1.6na p/n 068121133M flange in place of the AHU 028121132A flange.

This would give me the simple coolant sensor setup than the bulky plastic monster the AHU has.

Also, I am trying to swap the AHU flange 028121145 (Flange With Glow Plug Mounting) with a 1.6na 068121145K one.

I'm not sure of the creativity tweak Andrew speaks of yet. I haven't mounted it on to see / visualize what he's talking about.

It just like him, I didn't like the plastic flanges of the AHU and how bulky they are.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svenakela wrote:
On the conversions I've made I have taken the coolant sensor from the old engine and made up a small adapter.

nice.

could the OP use a 2.1 WBX 2 pin temp gauge sensor? It might be the same dimension as the 1z 4 pin sensor? I've read that other VW's use the same connector as 2.1 does. This would make wiring pretty easy.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember diagnosing those old style coolant sensors, but don't they need to be grounded to the block?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine he used a lathe and tap. It's a really nice solution.

I've used the earlier I4 aluminum coolant flanges. I don't like the later plastic ones much. Some creativity is required for the aluminum ones due to the different attachment angle at the center of the head.
AKAvant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, how did you do that?
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: