Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought a Baja
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyle_pc_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta admit my presence on the Samba is pretty sparse. But, like I said, there's a lot of Baja presence in Utah.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle_pc_75 wrote:
Gotta admit my presence on the Samba is pretty sparse. But, like I said, there's a lot of Baja presence in Utah.

yeah, i'm in the strictly baja utah group, vee dub club of northern utah, and Wasatch vintage Volkswagen groups on facebook. im up in brigham city, some of the group activities are a bit of a drive, but not that bad.

philthy wrote:

Seriously though, Bajas have a special place in my heart and I'm super jelly you scored it for that price. Being it was from Az, I would check all the rubber. I spent 15 years in the state and old rubber was always bad. Shifter bushing and trans mounts to start with.

Just got done checking it over. it has new motor/trans mounts, and a new shift bushing. pretty much every other piece of rubber on the car is shot though. door seals, axle boots, hood seals, beam seals, bump stops, you name it. oh wait, the rubber around the back window is new also! Rolling Eyes

I did replace the fuel lines and change the oil and tried to fire it up! it runs just like i thought it would with an empi progressive carb. bad. but it seems the long block is in good shape. popped off a valve cover, it has 041 heads and from what i could measure by guess and by golly, it has 1.25:1 rockers, but i didn't check the valve timing to see what the cam is.

i didnt dare run it for very long at all without a fan belt though... maybe a good solid 20 seconds at the long end... the heads only got warm to the touch though. not even hot enough to make you pull your hand off of them. It did have 20 psi oil pressure at idle and 40 when you blipped the throttle. I really need to adjust the valves, but what is the deal with the lash caps on the valve tip? i've never seen them in any air cooled engine, then again this is only my 4th aircooled engine...

But for now the motor is going into the rail while i build the motor for the rail and fix the brakes on the baja. its cool to be able to get the thing moving, but it needs to be able to stop first....
philthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had lash caps on mine either. Someone may have installed them as a precaution. Makes you wonder what the valve tips look like. Just because it's a progressive, doesn't mean it has to run like crap. I ran one of my 1776 and it did great. It's just like a quadrajet. You just have to know what you're doing. If you can figure out the cam, valve size, and displacement, John can figure out the ideal jetting to match your drive style and altitude
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philthy wrote:
I've never had lash caps on mine either. Someone may have installed them as a precaution. Makes you wonder what the valve tips look like. Just because it's a progressive, doesn't mean it has to run like crap. I ran one of my 1776 and it did great. It's just like a quadrajet. You just have to know what you're doing. If you can figure out the cam, valve size, and displacement, John can figure out the ideal jetting to match your drive style and altitude

the thing i hate about the progressives is the mechanical secondary without any acceleration enrichment. the key to keeping the bog at bay is having a small main in the primary and a large main in the secondary. the primary is suppose to be lean anyway for better fuel mileage, and the idea behind the large secondary is to drop the fuel air ratio back to 12:1 at full throttle, so it has to supply fuel for the secondary bore as well as make up for the primary's small jet.

With that said, i still hate them because the progressive will never be as snappy and responsive as something like a single idf or dcnf because there is a more definite lag from closed throttle to wide open because of the secondary opening at the last little bit of throttle. plus with no enrichment, there is still a very sharp change in the fuel to air ratio on a sudden stomp of the throttle with a progressive even if there is no stumble or bog. that being the case it will never feel as crisp. an idf, hpmx, dcnf or just about any other setup that uses both barrels constantly and has acceleration enrichment will always be more snappy and responsive because the fuel air ratio is better controlled and there is no delay in throttle opening in relation to the pedal.
philthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you there, but that begs another question: Whatcha gonna do about it? Single IDF's are cool but also have limitations/advantages and of course duals.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philthy wrote:
Whatcha gonna do about it?

dual ict carbs. Cool later though... the real reason i suspected it was going to run bad is the guy just bought it and threw it on. its waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy super rich on the primary and as a result has that famous lean bog. very typical of a guy who just bought a beetle and started throwing money at it.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so a little update, i ended up pulling the engine from the baja for my rail until the rail engine is assembled. The baja needs some break work. it had some brakes after the system was fully bled and was able to register the car and take it for a cruise. There was a quick realization that the brakes still sucked even for a beetle, the trans DOES have lower gears, and the bowden tube is shot and doesn't have enough bow in it. that kind of made for a scary experience trying to climb a hill i never would have attempted with my truck.

with all that said, this thing is a BLAST to drive! the baja is in the works of being turned into my daily driver, so i bought a stewart warner instant heater for it. once that is in it and set up, then the trans will come out as well as the rubber trans mounts. it will be getting solid mounts again like it had before. also need to fix the passenger side door as well as play with the wiring...
philthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be doing some experiments over the winter on an oil-heated system, using engine oil. Won't be the best, but it's free heat.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philthy wrote:
I'm going to be doing some experiments over the winter on an oil-heated system, using engine oil. Won't be the best, but it's free heat.

I seriously considered it, but once the heater popped up on the strictly baja group, i jumped on it. i have been looking at everything its going to take to install it as well as get it funtioning and keep telling myself its worth it.... but a $50 spark plug? ouch. now i need to track down a 12V-6V regulator.... or possibly just a few power resistors... the stupid thing is a 6V unit in a 12v converted bug.... and i need to fix the rusted off flue, and then rig up a cable to run the thermostat.

i was toying with the idea of using the engine oil to heat air for the defrosters so they could run constantly...
philthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea consisted of 1/2 steel tubing running along the pass side of the tunnel, and back to the engine. Nothing complicated to restrict flow. It's radiant heat, has to be worth something, and won't cool the oil too much. I live fairly close to the shop so it won't work going to work (I'll just take the TRAX anyways).
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem i have a 78mm stroker crank in the engine that came out of the baja, so i'm pulling a head this weekend to measure the bore. Cool
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a Baja Reply with quote

so as an update, i sold my baja a while ago... needed a better car... after screwing with so many other cars, i bought a baja. go figure. Laughing

i've got some pics incoming. working on adjusting the brakes so i dont die, and getting the valves adjusted. it sounds terrible right now....
I Ride Dirt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a Baja Reply with quote

Haha and now I bought it!
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Baja Reply with quote

I Ride Dirt wrote:
Haha and now I bought it!

:fist:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: