Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JFW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Quick follow up on this thread: Are there any DWG/DXF files for the door cards and interior panels available out there? I've been dooing my best google-fu to no avail. Considering just making some myself (files + cards/panels).

Truls
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
On Saturday morning I followed the wetting and flattening process described above on the driver's door panel which was pretty warped. Added just a little bleach in the water to help prevent unintended "organic growth" while wet.

I bagged it and laid it on the concrete garage floor as described but left in all but one of the plastic attachment clips. Used assorted sized and shaped wood to cover the entire panel everywhere but avoiding the clips. Another layer of plywood on top of that to distribute the weight, then a grid of 2x3 above that, before 3-layers of concrete blocks. Probably about 500lbs on this door panel right now.

I'm happy to report that after 6.5 days, I unstacked the "block press" and found my panel very flat. Just a little on the moist side, since it spent all that time flattening inside a plastic bag. I laid it out flat again, with no bags this time, and re-stacked the block press again. Left it another day to dry.

I unstacked the blocks again and found it sufficiently dry. I coated the surface with accouple applications of Watco penetrating teak oil finish to repel future water and left it another day standing in the open air. Finally, got to pop it back into place yesterday, then (oops!) removed it again to install the door pocket. Fortunately, I'd only popped the panel on and hadn't started with the stuff that needs screws. Now it's installed and looking very good! Happy to report this method worked well!

I'll report back if it starts to re-warp in time...

Thanks so much to JordanVW for writing the original procedure on the Vanagon email list and to joetiger for finding it and copying it here.

Regards,
Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

Great to hear! The Vanagon List Archive is still a great source for info.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe Cole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

Did anyone ever come up with dwg/dxf or Ai files for any of the panel/door cards?

I only know 5 people with a cnc machine and I own a shaper origin. I guess I can flatten my least warped door panel and copy it but a clean AI file would be amazing.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

Joe Cole wrote:
Did anyone ever come up with dwg/dxf or Ai files for any of the panel/door cards?

I only know 5 people with a cnc machine and I own a shaper origin. I guess I can flatten my least warped door panel and copy it but a clean AI file would be amazing.

I made one for a late sliding door. Just have to find it in my archives.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JFW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

In regards to CAD files for the panels. The topic is covered here now: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738392

Truls
Museum director.
Bicycle framebuilder.
Thinkerer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jcannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

For those who want to make new hardboard (masonite) for their existing door panels there is a way to make your own pattern if the existing one is too ratty to be usable.

Tape some kraft paper (it comes in rolls) to the door panel indent and cut it so it fills the indent to the edges plus a bit. Use a compass or divider set to 1mm or so and trace the inside of the opening. You now have the outside line of your pattern. Rub your thumb on the clip holes and it will imprint the paper with the exact locations. Do the same for the door handle screws. Cut out your new panels. There should be enough left of the old panels to trace out the openings for the speakers, door latch, window winder or electric switch, and mirror control. As they say, "All too easy".

Next, I have two ways to get the vinyl off the old card. The first is to use a sharp wood chisel, bevel down, and slice (pare) the masonite off beneath the heat seams. You cut just deep enough into the masonite so the vinyl does not get cut. This will leave a small amount of masonite stuck to the vinyl. Sharp means sharp. Your chisel should be able to cut a sheet of paper. Paring the masonite is a one hand affair and it goes quick, if your chisel is sharp. The chrome strip is plastic so no problem there. The seam under the carpeted portion is much wider than the heat seams but will pare of easily. To remove the masonite from the vinyl, toss it in a tub of water. This works really good for a panel you want to trace that is too bad to use but you still want.

If the panel is so ratty it is unusable, like one of mine, soak it in the tub until the masonite falls apart. That is my preferred way. Little labor involved. Make sure you do this after you've traced the openings.

Panel clip holes are 10mm. The chisel was probably 1". If not 3/4. If you can't sharpen a chisel it is a useful skill to develop. Google Paul Sellers. If you are thinking you can buy a new one and they come sharp, good luck. Even the expensive chisels require user sharpening.

If you are doing many Vanagons the dxf and a cnc is preferable. I'm an engineer and it would take me some time to be sure a dxf file was perfect. The pattern takes me 20 minutes and the cards come out perfect. For me it is the fastest way to make one set.

For things like the speakers which work best with nice exact holes, cut them a wee bit small and ftf. (ftf = file to fit)

I'm more of a convertible person and have had several of the early '50s Karmans. To buy panels is very expensive. They are almost unfindable for tracing, so the paper was my process. For those you need to offset the clip holes.

This works for flat glass too, if you need a pattern. Paper in the opening, run a compass/divider around the edge and poof! Measure the gasket to get the offset.
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

Made my own door cards out of Masonite and sewed my own covers. Installed new Kicker speakers in the stock speaker grills, added new door pulls and window cranks. FYI, Ford Taurus window cranks offer more than twice the clearance over the speaker as the VW ones. Unfortunately I was unable to locate new door release escutcheons so I had to reuse my fatigued old ones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

Very nice.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

1971BugGuy wrote:
Made my own door cards out of Masonite and sewed my own covers. Installed new Kicker speakers in the stock speaker grills, added new door pulls and window cranks. FYI, Ford Taurus window cranks offer more than twice the clearance over the speaker as the VW ones. Unfortunately I was unable to locate new door release escutcheons so I had to reuse my fatigued old ones.

[/img]

I can show you much worse door handle escutcheons, so you’ll feel better about your very decent ones.... Razz Razz Razz
It’s a Brown Plastic Trim thing.... Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

Wow, that interior looks amazing. That was a serious labor of love and you are a well balanced detail freak. I even like that you turned on your map light for the one picture. That is one loved Vanagon and she's in the right hands. A tip of the hat across the miles...
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

Wow, beautiful interior details! Nicely done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing/redoing interior panels/door cards? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Wow, that interior looks amazing. That was a serious labor of love and you are a well balanced detail freak. I even like that you turned on your map light for the one picture.

Thanks for the accolades. (My map light comes on when the door is open. It's not something I did intentionally)

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: