Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long rear steel brake line question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tucsonaircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Long rear steel brake line question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm rebuilding my brake system, including putting in all new steel lines. The current steel line running through the cabin is epoxied (or something akin to that) along the driver's side channel wall.

Is that the original set up, was it held in place like that originally or some other way? Any advice on how best to secure it in place?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the VW factory did not use epoxy or any adhesive for the purpose of securing this line. The brake line was secured in place via it's bends and rubber grommets that were used when it passed through the metal walls fore and aft.

The factory did apply a seal along the floor to center tunnel though. Perhaps this is what you are describing. Since this brake line follows the tunnel on the drivers side, you are seeing some of this sealer on it. This may have been done on the Thing because it did not have carpet, and because these were sold as "adventure" vehicles, and would therefore track in mud/water into the floor area more readily, and this center brake line would be more prone to rusting without some sort of protection..

It also may be that a previous owner sealed a leak with this epoxy you are describing. This line was prone to rust around the clutch/brake/gas pedal area because of water tracked in from our shoes; this was worsened if carpet was installed, trapping this moisture longer.
It's always highly recommended to replace this line if it's rusty; if it develops a leak, the rear brakes are lost, and drum brakes are not the best method these days to stop a vehicle!

Applying an amount of weatherproof chauking would not hurt after you replace this line; it would offer some protection against moisture and assist in rust provention of this line.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Long rear steel brake line question Reply with quote

TucsonThing wrote:
Is that the original set up, was it held in place like that originally or some other way?

there are supposed to be three metal tangs which are spot-welded to the tunnel, they are bent around the brake line. if someone did a hack job on the floors, or if the floors were rusty, the tangs could easily disappear.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replace the long steel brake line on one of my Things and am still not pleased with how it sits. The one of the tangs are missing and I have not decided how to better secure/protect the line. On my other Thing the original line is in great shape and still has the factory coating that attached it to the center tunnel and protected it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tucsonaircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for the info. Does anyone have pictures of what it looks like out of the factory?

Thanks, Jeff
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that all T-1 VWs had brake lines that looked nearly identical so a picture from any AC VW's long brake line would have looked the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The good news is that all T-1 VWs had brake lines that looked nearly identical so a picture from any AC VW's long brake line would have looked the same."

Not sure of that Kubelmann....I owned three bugs before this Thing, and I never saw any sealer along the long brake line. My current Military 181 does though, and I think it was because these vehicles were for the "outdoor" crowd that would tromp in mud, water and the like. This applied sealer looks like it offered some protection against rust for the brake line.

Not 100% sure though.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Long rear steel brake line question Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of the metal tabs that hold the long metal brake line in place along the center tunnel? I have only the two rear tabs remaining and they are in need of replacement. I was wondering how many total there should be and approximately where they were originally located. I don’t need an exact measurements, just a rough visual. Thanks.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Long rear steel brake line question Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
Does anyone have a picture of the metal tabs that hold the long metal brake line in place along the center tunnel? I have only the two rear tabs remaining and they are in need of replacement. I was wondering how many total there should be and approximately where they were originally located. I don’t need an exact measurements, just a rough visual. Thanks.

Try this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=160
Some good pictures and I think you'll be able to find where the tabs are. Looks like 4.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Long rear steel brake line question Reply with quote

kenj06 wrote:
oscarsnapkin wrote:

Try this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=160
Some good pictures and I think you'll be able to find where the tabs are. Looks like 4.

Yep, found it. Thanks. Awesome thread by the way. Here’s the picture (borrowed from user randybriscoe) showing the tabs in case some future Samba user needs it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: