Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dielectric grease preferences?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

The small tube I used to have has gone AWOL so I was browsing Amazon for a replacement. Apparently I haven’t needed to buy any in a very long time because I had forgotten there are multiple formats... my first inclination was just to buy another small tube, but then I reflected on the number of connections that will need protection and began pondering a couple of other possibilities.

First option is the small tube. Seems like it’d be easy to manuever / deal with when I’m contorted up under the dash. But, it’s only a small quantity and relatively expensive for its size. Also, it would take 2 hands to apply. One to dispense and one to smear.

Second option is a can with a brush. Brush seems like it’d get into the tighter spaces, but might hold way too much grease for the small connectors. Also looks like you can reload the brush one handed.

Third option is an aresol. Moderately priced, super easy to apply when you have straight line access to the connectors. Might encourage application only to the wire end of the connector instead of to the tab as well. Unknown how well it covers. Reviews say it’s very much a liquid and less like a gel.

Anyone have a strong opinion on any of these or maybe a fourth option I overlooked?

Cheers!
Michael Thompson
Portland, OR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

Go with the squeeze tube. The brush style leave most of it in the bottle, the spray type goes everywhere and is not very eco-friendly.
I squeeze a bit into a small magnetic tray and grab what I need with a small flathead screwdriver. That way the tray holds your screwdriver for you too, even when upside down under a dash.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:

I squeeze a bit into a small magnetic tray and grab what I need with a small flathead screwdriver. That way the tray holds your screwdriver for you too, even when upside down under a dash.

Gordo.

That's a brilliant idea that I will definitely be using!

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

So, this has brought up a question I have had for a long time.

Is this?...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The same as this...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cost difference is significant, though for as often as this stuff gets used on a car, price really isn't a big deal. I have had two small tubes of dielectric grease for at least a decade and they still have plenty left. I'm just curious.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

The GB stuff is specifically for connecting aluminum wires. Might work, but it’s definitely different. The stuff I’ve used is grey and sticky, not clear and slick like the dielectric grease.

Definitely not worth it if it doesn’t work right. Nobody wants to have to go back through every single connection.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

????? I think I would use the stuff that's meant for cars. I've used the permatex brand and the Wurth stuff . No difference between them, and I can't help you with price differences as it's just supplied by the shops I've worked in.

I can mention when using on bulb connections, make sure you get it on the connection parts and off the glass. Even fingers shouldn't touch the glass bits. I know that's just for halogens, but it's good practice for all bulbs.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
????? I think I would use the stuff that's meant for cars.

As stated, I already do, I was just wondering if there is an actual difference in the product.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

The cost difference is significant, though for as often as this stuff gets used on a car, price really isn't a big deal. I have had two small tubes of dielectric grease for at least a decade and they still have plenty left. I'm just curious.

I picked up a 3oz tube of the dielectric grease (exactly like the one you posted) for under $5.00. Ballpark guess - I expect this will last me 397 years at my current rate of consumption. Laughing

When I ordered it, I was thinking it was the little 1/3 oz (which is currently listed at $5.75)... imagine my surprise!

Good times...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I picked up a 3oz tube of the dielectric grease (exactly like the one you posted) for under $5.00. Ballpark guess - I expect this will last me 397 years at my current rate of consumption. Laughing

When I ordered it, I was thinking it was the little 1/3 oz (which is currently listed at $5.75)... imagine my surprise!

Good times...

Amazon?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Good times...

Amazon?

I guess a source might be helpful. Yeah, Amazon.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

They are not the same. The anti-oxidant is created as a coating but also functions as a sacrificial anode to protect the aluminum.

Buy real dialectric grease on ebay, it's cheap for a little tube.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease preferences? Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
They are not the same. The anti-oxidant is created as a coating but also functions as a sacrificial anode to protect the aluminum.

Buy real dialectric grease on ebay, it's cheap for a little tube.

Thanks for that info. I figured as much, just curious.

Also, I buy stuff locally whenever I can. No need for ebay or amazon when I can buy it at Napa six blocks from my house and support the guys and gals who work there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: