Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Bruce, your aluminum hex bar and mine must've come from different manufacturers. There is no way mine would do those miles. The aluminum bar flexes in the center as the cable bracket rotates it. The instant there was tension on the cable arm, you could see the bar bow under the tension as the arm rotated the bar. Mine was flimsy like a freaking noodle, and it had nothing to do with the amount of return spring on the ends. And once something like thats been bent or flexed back and forth for a while, it just gets easier and easier to bend. That the arm isn't centered exactly didn't help either, as one side bowed more than the other. The steel bar is the way to go.

That's exactly what was happening. Press the accelerator cable arm and the drivers side carb opens 1/8".... Passenger side nothing. Flimsy flimsy. At 2500 the stutter was like I was running on two cylinders. Way out of sync. The looser Heim joints helped a ton, but I also took the ball stud ends out(sloppy) and replaced with exhaust studs, jam nuts, and double washers. Much much better.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Bruce, your aluminum hex bar and mine must've come from different manufacturers. There is no way mine would do those miles. The aluminum bar flexes in the center as the cable bracket rotates it. The instant there was tension on the cable arm, you could see the bar bow under the tension as the arm rotated the bar. Mine was flimsy like a freaking noodle, and it had nothing to do with the amount of return spring on the ends. And once something like thats been bent or flexed back and forth for a while, it just gets easier and easier to bend. That the arm isn't centered exactly didn't help either, as one side bowed more than the other. The steel bar is the way to go.

this sums up nicely exactly what the hexbar linkage on my wifes new ghia is doing. hexbar linkage just plain sucks in my opinion and experience. why put up with all that nonsense when there is perfectly capable and affordable linkage solutions out on the market?!

CSP linkage is so much better in every way, sealed bearing, no flex, super simple to synch etc.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: CB hex Reply with quote

It seems like there are some "other" hex bars that might be of lower quality, as mentioned in some of these comments.

However, the OP has stated that he has a CB hex bar linkage. I have the aluminum CB hex bar and it does not bend...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two sizes of hex bar.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the hex bar is the wear that occurs in the end of the bar where the ball end rides. Over a few years it will wear a groove and you can grab the hex bar where it attaches to the air cleaner and wiggle it and there will be play. You can purchase one of those bearing kits as mentioned earlier, or press in a bearing in the end of the hex bar then turn down the ball sockets to fit, or just purchase a new bar every few years. That is the least costly solution.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
The problem with the hex bar is the wear that occurs in the end of the bar where the ball end rides. Over a few years it will wear a groove and you can grab the hex bar where it attaches to the air cleaner and wiggle it and there will be play. You can purchase one of those bearing kits as mentioned earlier, or press in a bearing in the end of the hex bar then turn down the ball sockets to fit, or just purchase a new bar every few years. That is the least costly solution.

or get a linkage that will last years and work great right outta the box Wink
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58 Plastic Tub wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
CB changed the bar to steel some time ago, and fixed the tight hiem joint recently as well.

The tight heim joints are 99% of my complaint with the CB linkage. All of them tighten up eventually.

A friend brought over his new 48s for me to go through last weekend. He had the down links and heim joints on them from his CB linkage. I did observe they were quite tight. I put a drop of oil on every one and they were free.

Many times while on a road trip, I have lubed them by touching them with the end of the dip stick.

98k miles, and the linkage was well used when I installed it. Don't use extra return springs and the force needed to open the throttles is next to nothing.

About 10 years ago I helped a friend put together a custom. He didn't like the look of the CB hex bar, so we marked carefully where the ends and the center pull arms went, then we had the aluminum hex bar turned until it was fully round in the exposed areas. Even weakened like that, it worked just fine.
74 Thing wrote:
The problem with the hex bar is the wear that occurs in the end of the bar where the ball end rides. Over a few years it will wear a groove and you can grab the hex bar where it attaches to the air cleaner and wiggle it and there will be play.

This is true, the bearing area of the ball stud is too small and it wears out the ID of the hex bar. A friend designed and makes this upgrade kit:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1725307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a CB hex linkage kit when my '64 had 92,000 miles on it. It been on there since and I'm up to 167,000 miles. 75,000 miles on the linkage and it's still working great. The down rods are still in good shape, not too loose or too tight. The hex bar joints are tight as well. It stays in sync, no fiddling with it to keep them tuned. No complaints at all with the system.

First installed on the old 1600.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reused on the 1679cc. I'll be reusing it again when it goes back in the car.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
CB changed the bar to steel some time ago, and fixed the tight hiem joint recently as well.

Nope...My bar is aluminum and one of my heim joints is locked up. Bought the bar from cu right before I cranked the motor. Less than 2 months old. Pure shit
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc

Last edited by fivelugshortaxle on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

First off turn off the spell check, it's rendered you impossible to understand.

Use a magnet to see if it is aluminum. The hex has been steel for well over 10 years but maybe you got some OLD stock???? Could happen.

If this is how you have installed it then of course it does not work right.

Move the arms in, they are way too far out man! and what is that growth on the right...return spring?
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

modok wrote:

Use a magnet to see if it is aluminum. The hex has been steel for well over 10 years but maybe you got some OLD stock???? Could happen.

Move the arms in, they are way too far out man! and what is that growth on the right...return spring?
no, it's not installed like that. Hahahaha
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

Little arms are pretty much vertical with motor in car now. That pic was taken a year ago simply mocking up Tim and fit. That growth is a filter that will be coming off and a line will be coming out in its place.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

modok wrote:

It's aluminum. And the heim joint is frozen solid. I've got them synced perfectly now....just don't trust it...too flimsy. Both sides leave the stops at exactly same time and distance... Bar flexes too much. And that's not the setup I have on the motor. Those are offset manifolds and the 050 heads in that pic.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

Ok post a new pic and we'll figure it out.
If the reason it's "aluminum' is because it's a knock off chinesium copy....then you have some splainin to do.
Cb is STEEL hex bar
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/hexcrossbar.htm
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Ok post a new pic and we'll figure it out.
If the reason it's "aluminum' is because it's a knock off chinesium copy....then you have some splainin to do.
Cb is STEEL hex bar
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/hexcrossbar.htm

Should I lost a pic of my receipt from CB? Nothing to figure out...they are synced perfectly...I just don't trust it and the bulkiness of it is getting to me.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

We can agree it is excessively heavy.
It HAS been the most universal linkage setup out there. Fits any combo of vehicle and manifold height..... and works for MOST people just fine. If anything being UNIVERSAL was a bad thing, as something that can be put together several ways often get put wrong.

Did something change? maybe so. Maybe they have changed it. I don't know, but the grass may not be greener elsewhere. CSP fits fine with sedan manifolds but.....not so good with tall manifolds.

youngstah wrote:
I was looking for more info here earlier too.

As there are multiple variables in the "clearance" issue I thought I'd post more pictures as some may be running similar problems as I try and resolve mine. Pita, after forkin out for a csp and these manifolds.

The solution I've come up with has revealed to me I obviously know little about the science and math of linkages. Maybe someone would care to explain or school us all in what we'd need to understand to resolve the prob I'm having?

2276 CB Big Beef Manifolds (offset manifolds) 44idf + csp idf kit + doghouse shroud.
1. Rods provided don't reach right carb.
2. Heater duct in the path of rod. (wrench holds rod at closest point to avoid shroud contact)...my attempt at figuring a diff solution.

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

I dont know how fivelug got a aluminum hex. I orded 3 kits in the last few years and all are steel.

If you purchased a kit within the last 2 years and it came with a aluminum hex I would email cb customer service and ask how you got that old artifact. Theres a explanation somewhere. I dont believe aluminum is a option even if someone wanted it.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
I dont know how fivelug got a aluminum hex. I orded 3 kits in the last few years and all are steel.

If you purchased a kit within the last 2 years and it came with a aluminum hex I would email cb customer service and ask how you got that old artifact. Theres a explanation somewhere. I dont believe aluminum is a option even if someone wanted it.

My handy dandy telescoping find lost bolts magnet doesn't stick. Maybe should have done more research before I ordered the Vintage Speed linkage earlier tonight but maybe it works out......I don't have heater ducts....and I can get a piece of threaded rod at the hardware store for cheap if the rod is too short. Maybe it works. If not I'll pull the 36 horse shroud and try out my Berg linkage that I've never used. I'll find out soon enough. In the meantime, my hex bar linkage is synced just fine. I'd call it perfect but it may be .000000001 off. It's close enough. I just have grown to not like the bulky look.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: