Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installed new tach & am amazed at the gearing calculator
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Installed new tach & am amazed at the gearing calculator Reply with quote

I got my new tach installed in a mount to the left of the steering wheel. It is much easier to see than the 2" version in the dash.
But I am amazed at the results, I thought it was reading really low, but the calculations of a standard typ 181 tranny with 31x10.5 tyres on 15" wheels say that I can go over 70 MPH in third and should not really use top gear below 50 MPH
I will post another photo from the driver's eyepoint so you can see the set-up.
BTW I have a 2054 motor with twin Weber 40's, a big valve head from Aircooled.net at 9:1 compression, a counterbalanced crank and a A-1 Thing specific exhaust, so I can certainly pull top gear.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Installed new tach & am amazed at the gearing calcul Reply with quote

31" tires? can you post a photo of the car? What I'd really like to see is a video of how that engine runs. This is asking a lot, I know. but...have a friend hold the camera/phone, while you pull through the gears.

With stock gears and those tires, is the car useable off road? In other words is first gear to tall?
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Installed new tach & am amazed at the gearing calcul Reply with quote

I have a great time driving with the SoCalBajas around the Mojave desert. Yes I have to slip the clutch sometimes when rock crawling, but I have no problems. I really like the 3" lifted front beam that goes with the 31" rear tyres. Also I have a Quaife LSD. A group of Things are planning an off road party at Hollister hills SVRA on super bowl Sunday, we have the place to ourselves. I'll add some pics from last time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed new tach & am amazed at the gearing calcul Reply with quote

I didn't notice you had so many pics out there...I went back and looked at your ride.

What changes were made in the rear suspension to accommodate those tires?
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed new tach & am amazed at the gearing calcul Reply with quote

the rear arms were rotated to a bit more than max, a notch filed to do it,

6" piece of sheet steel used to widen the rear fenders.

new cv joints used., i carry a spare axle, as only 12 bolts hold an axle in place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: