Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C wont blow cold 2003 Beetle 1.8 Turbo "S"
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe comfort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: A/C wont blow cold 2003 Beetle 1.8 Turbo "S" Reply with quote

I have a 2003 "S" turbo 1.8 Beetle 6 speed. The fans at the radiator are not turning on when I turn the A/C on. I took it to a shop and was told VW does not release a lot of tech info like the other manufacturers and the problem could not be singled out.

When I turn the A/C on, the fans wont turn on and thus warm air comes out the vents. When the water temp reaches the desired max temp, the fans turn on and the A/C blows cold. R134 is full so that is ok. Maybe a module problem or switch problem??

Has anybody experienced this and if so what is the fix? I really don't want to take it to a dealership $$

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the Fan Control Module, as that has multiple control functions. But being an electrical part, once you buy it(not cheap) and use it once, it's yours whether it fixes it or not.
joe comfort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is gonna hurt! Living in AZ, I have to get this fixed sooner than later. Thanks for the reply!

Joe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe comfort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a temp switch that is under the radiator from what I understand. Getting to it though requires a lot of removal of other parts to get to it. PITA!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the fuse on the power distribution panel on top of the battery, the first green 30a fuse from the left (as you are looking at the battery) supplies power to the fan control module, these are notorious for building up heat & will cause the fans & A/C not to work. It can also cause the car to spontaneously combust. If there is ANY signs of distortion or corrosion, replace the fuse panel with a DEALER part, aftermarket ones fail within 3-5 months.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
joe comfort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info ps2375 and TDCTDI !!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: