Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I could do that but I would probably need to make a frame to go around the opening to strengthen it. Same amount of work if not more than just fixing the hole. I do want to make the apron removable so pulling the engine is just like on a bus, why they never did that for the beetles baffles me.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
TheDon wrote:

Rust I need to fix.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have you thought about using that original replacement metal to make an access hatch? Kinda like a late model bus. Do it right, and I think it would be a pretty handy addition that wouldn't detract from the value of your car (sentimental or monetary).

It would definitely detract from the value. No one likes to pay for mods or hacks. Considering the pans and heat channels have been hacked in, I would skin the luggage compartment, and just lay the donor piece in the a flange and spot weld it. Make sure to strip prime and paint any surface rust and use body seam glue to hide the repair. I garantee, no one is gonna care if you drilled the spot welds or not. Also, who care about re sale. Thats your car right? Very Happy just enjoy it, dont work too hard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

shane red wrote:
It would definitely detract from the value. No one likes to pay for mods or hacks. Considering the pans and heat channels have been hacked in, I would skin the luggage compartment, and just lay the donor piece in the a flange and spot weld it. Make sure to strip prime and paint any surface rust and use body seam glue to hide the repair. I garantee, no one is gonna care if you drilled the spot welds or not. Also, who care about re sale. Thats your car right? Very Happy just enjoy it, dont work too hard.

On an all original car or true restoration it would definitely detract. But, I was also considering the heater channels and pans. Done correctly on this car I really don't think it would affect the value. Just my personal opinion, but I would prefer a hatch over a repair panel slapped in and "hidden". Very Happy
I wonder if a bus hatch would fit in there? You could cut out the frame and everything and weld it in if the dimensions worked. Obviously his car and he can and should do what he wants. Just a friendly suggestion. Smile

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

It's a possibility that I could put in an access hatch. This car will never be a concourse queen but I hope to make it nice.

whats this bus hatch all about?
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

After '72 VW realized a hatch above the engine would be beneficial for access to the T4 engine. Vanagons and some T3 have them too, but I think bay windows are the smallest.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

interesting. If I hadn't just spent $100 on that back 1/8 of a bug so ill probably just use my patch panel
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Passenger side rear window has some pitting issues. Should be an easy fix?

Driver side is in much better shape.

Rear glass is next once I find my box cutter.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Have you looked around to see what it would take to get it media blasted? I saw an advertisement once for a mobile media blasting service. They literally come to your house and do it in your front yard or what.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I could look into that. Thanks for the idea.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

http://dustlessblastingorlando.com/index-1.html

Not a product endorsement.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
shane red wrote:

On an all original car or true restoration it would definitely detract. But, I was also considering the heater channels and pans. Done correctly on this car I really don't think it would affect the value. Just my personal opinion, but I would prefer a hatch over a repair panel slapped in and "hidden". Very Happy
I wonder if a bus hatch would fit in there? You could cut out the frame and everything and weld it in if the dimensions worked. Obviously his car and he can and should do what he wants. Just a friendly suggestion. Smile

Whats the hatch for anyways? The starter? Youd be losing structural integrity by installing a hatch. Probably inviting in exhaust and noise too. Seriously, you guys are saying its cool to put a hatch? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

That window rust doesn't look that bad really. If you don't blast the whole thing, you might try Naval Jelly on it. Much thicker than Ospho so it doesn't drip all over the place. Works quicker too.

1966 Beetle
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I poked at it with an awl and it went through in some spots. I probably wont blast the entire car if the cost is prohibitive. But i'll worry about that when I get to that bridge.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

All glass except doors is out. Windshield cracked as I carefully removed it. Not upset because it was delaminating on all corners and the trim was borked anyways. Kind of want to install one of those safari windows on the bug.

The front and rear glass bottom corners have rust that needs to be patched but it's not bad. I have metal for the rear on my rear 1/8th of a bug I bought.

Still need to make room in garage for panels to hang on wall but this Saturday I'll strip the fenders and running boards off since I need to lift the car to access to front fender bolts. Car is to low to reach all of them.

I should be able to fix all of the rust and make the interior as water tight as possible and keep the outside OG wish. There are some dents I would like to pound out as well as redo the pan and seal it up.

if anyone knows of a metal sunroof headliner panel let me know. I need one
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
I poked at it with an awl and it went through in some spots. I probably wont blast the entire car if the cost is prohibitive. But i'll worry about that when I get to that bridge.

Cut those rotted sections out and weld in new pieces from another car that someone is cutting up. Post a WTB ad for those pieces and you'll get replies.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Looks like some not uncommon front end damage. The rear apron also looks pushed in

Pulled the fenders and bumpers off. Found more rust than I had known about and some really shitty heater channel welding work. I'm going to be very good at welding once I'm done with this sheissewagen
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

haven't made much progress other than sell off my mercedes diesels so I can focus on the bug. This week I'm reorganizing the garage so I can work on the bug and build the body stand. I also need to get my neighbor to help me put in a 240v outlet for our electric car and welder. Now that my wife is driving a new car with a warranty its one less vehicle for me to worry about.

the heat this time of year in FL kind of sucks so I'm hoping my 12'x12' tent helps. I might invest in a big fan as well to help move the air around.
socal1904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but what size tire are you running up front? And just remember to breath and take it step by step.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

socal1904 wrote:
Slightly off topic, but what size tire are you running up front? And just remember to breath and take it step by step.

not a size I plan on running in the near future, but if I can remember ill look today
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

New angle grinder works great and clearing paint so I can see the spot welds on my donor piece of VW. But I think the spot welds are bigger than my spot weld cutter since the metal is still rather fused together. I did 1/4 of the spot welds. Cleared the seam sealer and paint. Then center punched each spot weld. Drilled pilot holes and then used the spot weld cutter.

I should be able to get the piece out with little issue once I cut all of the welds. What sucks is the piece I'm getting is spot welded to both rear wheel tubs and the transmission tunnnel hump so it's a lot of work.

Face shield worked great. Safety glasses and face shield for the win

I'm back at it with my bug. Slowly but surely I'll chip away at it. Going to have to do a pan off so I might as well take my time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: