Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just the rear... I answered your pm....

Are you wearing your uniform to the Bug Jam so we will know who you are ? Laughing

I'll still be the old guy with the gray hair Razz

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id bring my armor if I had a secure area to lock it up in when I'm not in it. But I probably won't.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I remove the somewhat crumbly tar board or not? I'm torn between the look of the board or board free.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the engine back in and it fired right up. Now to do the cap,rotor, points, and condenser and it will be ready for bug jam. I need to make the marks on the pulley for timing. I will probably make notches in the original pulley instead of getting an after market pulley.
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
Do I remove the somewhat crumbly tar board or not? I'm torn between the look of the board or board free.

Don did you take the tar board out? I got new for mine but I'm thinking of leaving it out I am putting sound reading on the inside. Love your build, great job. How far are you from Bug jam? If you don't mind me asking.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:

I'll still be the old guy with the gray hair Razz

That should.narrow it down...
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
TheDon wrote:

Don did you take the tar board out? I got new for mine but I'm thinking of leaving it out I am putting sound reading on the inside. Love your build, great job. How far are you from Bug jam? If you don't mind me asking.

I left it in. I'll take it out this winter. Once I get the rear parcel tray replaced I'll add fat mat inside.

I'm about 45-1 hour from bug jam
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After bug jam I plan on having the rust in the parcel tray repaired so I can start the interior restore. I'll clean the engine up too. I'm torn between black paint for all of the tins or the hammered metal look.

Side note, I bought a couple boxes of LED outdoor Christmas lights to put on my beetle. I thought it would be fun
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a lot of things I was looking for today at bug jam

Got a deck lid for $50, nice and dent free and rust free. Two extra wheels, a radio block off plate, some heater Hose, a Holstein jack and some other misc crap. I need to figure out how to take the jack apart and restore it. Also how in the world do I use it? It only has one spot for the rod to go in to jack up

Looks like this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clearly not as nice. But the base looks unused and the blue is still nice.

But now I need to do an alternator upgrade since my generator killed itself after a wire came undone from the voltage regulator. Thus toasting it

But now I'm making room in the garage for the interior restore
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to put my new/used deck lid on tonight but I noticed the spring mount was cut out from it

Hopefully I can repair that missing part

And this

This is the chunk missing. I sanded it down and while sanding it smelled just like fiberglass.

I'm pulling the generator out tomorrow in anticipation of my new alternator.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
I was going to put my new/used deck lid on tonight but I noticed the spring mount was cut out from it

Hopefully I can repair that missing part

And this

This is the chunk missing. I sanded it down and while sanding it smelled just like fiberglass.

I'm pulling the generator out tomorrow in anticipation of my new alternator.

I have a 1970 decklid that you can salvage the spring bracket out of. I would think you could make it work with the earlier lid. Looks like the support is similar. I cut the vents out of it. You can have it for free. I can cut out what you need and mail it to you. Just pay shipping.

TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

thanks! I sent you a PM

I need to get a mig welder on the cheap and learn how to weld so I can fix my rust issues.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I'm not done yet. Still needs more lights and maybe garland. I'm glad LED strings are cheap. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible with my inverter. The box the lights come in says I can put 90 strings k the same circuit. I did the math and the amp draw is pretty low per string which is nice.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I like your Xmas lights. So your gonna rock it on the road?

I found a mig welder on CL for real cheap. I also cruised pawn shops looking for a welder. I suggest that you locate one that uses shielding gas. Not the flux core type. Post weld clean up will be easier.
Good luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

It might be illegal to run with them on. But with half of the crap I see on the road in FL ( monster trucks for a start). I'll probably be ok.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

There was a guy that used to be in the Lee road area that had his car covered with lights. Also had two huge wings on top of the car like a Manta ray.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
thanks! I sent you a PM

I need to get a mig welder on the cheap and learn how to weld so I can fix my rust issues.

\
There are several good You Tube video's that explain mig welding ;
if you want a free private lesson let me know when you want to come by .
If you want to know if I know what I'm doing read the build thread for the Sedan Delivery. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
TheDon wrote:
thanks! I sent you a PM

\
There are several good You Tube video's that explain mig welding ;
if you want a free private lesson let me know when you want to come by .
If you want to know if I know what I'm doing read the build thread for the Sedan Delivery. Wink

I think you might have a slight idea at whats going on with welding Laughing
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

panama beige here too! underneath all this spray paint somewhere.. This was my grandmas car, you dont see this colour that often, I dont think it was very popular. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Got my new alternator today. I removed all of the old stuff and now to install the new. But I need to redo the wiring I think since my old regulator was in the engine compartment and I have two thick gauge wires that one is for the dash electrical and the other goes to the battery or starter I think.

I bought some 8 gauge wire today but I might just redo the current wire ends and I'm ordering a new wiring harness in a few months to replace my hacked up old harness.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: