Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I’ve considered a Hobart MVP mig welder. I just haven’t gotten to commit yet. I have a small sub panel so I’d need to upgrade that to handle the 240v. Which is a two for one because I also have an electric car
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
I’ve considered a Hobart MVP mig welder. I just haven’t gotten to commit yet. I have a small sub panel so I’d need to upgrade that to handle the 240v. Which is a two for one because I also have an electric car

That unit is nicer than what I have . . . don't forget to figure in the cost of a tank . . . filled with 75/25 "mix", and also an "auto-dim" helmet.

I bet the "body shop" will want AT LEAST twice that to do just the rust repairs! Wink
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

http://www.type2.com/bartnik/pushrod.htm

reference for me to come back to this week once my seal kit comes in

nvm this doesnt apply to my type of engine. I guess I have to pull the heads to replace the pushrod seals

I have the muir book and another red book for beetle engine rebuilds. I do not have the bentley manual. plus my engine clearly isnt OG so bentley would need to be for something other than a '64 since I have a 1500 in the car

I want to stick with the original style pushrod tubes.

I also have a new wiring harness coming in this week... progress! It's only taken 3 years
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

The Bentley is good, but look for it at a good price. I picked mine up off EBay for $50. It’s more than engine, it goes over pretty much everything from rebuilding the suspension, adjusting steering box, brakes etc. I got by for several years without it but it is good to have. Lmk if you come up needing anything, I still have some spares of some things that I’m not needing.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Decided to try and clean the engine but it’s not working out. The grime is caked on and to be properly clean would require splitting the case and hot tanking everything and might as well do a full rebuild then.

So it’s slightly cleaner and I’ll put it back together, rebuild the carb, and replace the leaky push rod tubes to get it by for now.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Cover intake and exhaust holes up, spray with simple green and/or gunk engine cleaner and power wash that sucker. Get some small wire brushes to get in the nooks and crannies.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Cheepo paint brushes of various sizes and some lacquer thinner will go a long way at cleaning it up.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I need to get some brash brushes or something of that nature. I got a good amount of the gunk but it can be cleaner.

I did install new scat pushrod tubes today. Hurray less leaks hopefully.

I did ruin two seals so I need to find replacements for the tiny O rings. I’ll hit up Ace hardware tomorrow and hope they have small and thin o rings that work. The tube with the tape is my reminder that it’s missing o rings. Everything went together quickly and without any issue really.

Once I get the replacement o rings I’ll check valve clearances. Next up is rebuild the carb and more engine degreasing. I’m not going to bother blasting and painting anything at this point since I want to get it back on the road. I might try and find another engine and build something that is more of a clean look. Or I’ll have an easier time selling a running car? Who knows with me. Ha!

I did entertain the thought of converting it to electric but that would cost me at least 15k with batteries so forget that. I can do a budget restore for that cost and have a sweet engine.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

For cleaning the brass brushes work ok.

I'm going to say this and wait for the anti crowd to shit on the idea.
Go to the Grocery Outlet and buy a couple cans of their brand oven cleaner. About $0.99 per can.
Protect your new shiny PR tubes and spray the bottom of the engine. Let the cleaner sit on there for 5 minutes. No longer. Any longer will etch the aluminum case. Then rinse it off with a strong stream of water from your garden hose.
You may have to do this a couple of times. But it really does cut the heavy grungy gunk off the engine in a hurry. Then you can fine clean with brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Which ever is cheaper at your FLAPS.

Good Luck.

EDIT: post cleaning, spray everything with WD-40 when done cleaning. Well not the flywheel. Do that and the clutch will slip!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

heres a question for those that know...

the sump plate is held in with the acorn nuts and studs that go into the case. But I think 2 or 3 of my studs are bolted in to hold some sort of bracket for the oil pickup. So for the other studs what is the best way to get them to stay in place, blue loctite?
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
I’ll probably just do the push rod tubes and not bother with the crank seal unless I know someone with a torque meister that will let me
Borrow it.

I know is an old post...but if you still need it...you can borrow mine.

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

haha

I will let you know. I need to work on getting my garage setup to weld, get a welder, and get the body off the pan
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

You gave up on it? I just saw the listing on FB Sad

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I have a love hate relationship with my projects.

I did more prep work today for body removal. I moved the fenders and bumpers to the attic so I could make more space. I also spent time making plans for cantilever shelves to store my canopy tents out of the way and the Christmas tree I had to buy for $40 at Lowe’s last week. (That’s for a LED light show project next year)

The tires are for my F150. Waiting to recover from Christmas to get them mounted. A buddy gave them to me for all the work I help him with.

Also need to see if I can upgrade my garage electrical so I can get one or two more 110 circuits or a 220 for welder / air compressor

The reason for my love hate relationship with this thing is because I took on too many projects and my R2D2 is almost done. He just needs paint and body work. My new stormtrooper comes back from paint tomorrow or Monday and then it’s final assembly and approval photos for the 501st Legion. Then there’s the woodshop renovation at the makerspace I help run in town (makerfx.org). So much to do.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I also want to keep the outside crusty and what not but do a full mechanical restoration. I do want to fix the rust hole for the spare tire so yeah....but I’ve got a notebook with my game plan. The goal for next year is to have the pan 100% perfect with better floor pans, the crappy Brazilian pans suck and I will request a set from WW for my birthday.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

You totally need to raise that car up & mount those BFGs on it. Twisted Evil

Just spend 15 minutes on the car every day doing something & you can chip away at it a little at a time.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

well sorry to dissapoint but the beetle has moved on to another owner. Someone with more time to give it than me.

maybe one day ill come back to the ACVW scene but until then ill lurk in the shadows like I did for 10 years
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: