Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Do you have a link to where you can buy those LED bulbs?

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Do you have a link to where you can buy those LED bulbs?

I got them from a guy on Facebook, but he has now also put up an ad on here. They were insanely cheap, and are obviously insanely bright. I just talked to him and he says he has "plenty on hand."

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1872058
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for stopping by the show!! Hope you can make it up again this year. Saturday, July 30th 2016. Hope to see you there!

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Seriously guys...stop with the "Quote" replies when there are 10982 pictures in the reply you are quoting...

Props on the bus sir...you have me sold on the LEDs.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoelH wrote:
Thanks for stopping by the show!! Hope you can make it up again this year. Saturday, July 30th 2016. Hope to see you there!

Thanks for having us Joel, we had a blast!! Would love to come back, hopefully for all of the events this time.. Told you guys we should have been farthest travelled!
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

You certainly traveled!! That's for sure.

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

A bullet narrowly dodged...

When I bought the bus the fuel lines "had been changed." Yeah. Right. I planned on changing them anyway, and the huge leak (as in gallons in seconds) that I had only reinforced that...

I chaned the lines with fuel injection line from the FLAPS, but always wanted the better Gates hoses. Last year I finally purchased the Gates, and changed the majority of the lines.

This spring I changed the remaining ones. I also did the vent lines this time, as I was sure they were probably original. I was right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not that vent lines aren't importnat, but that was nothing compared to what was next.. I then went to change the line that goes from the passenger's side fuel rail to the pressure regulator. Turns out that it had been missed previously...

Severely dry, cracked, and even a big chunk missing from one end! I was driving the bus almost daily, and thousands of miles all over the country, Talk about a ticking time bomb!

I now have all proper Gates lines, the proper fuel injection clamps (goodbye worm drives), and most of all, serious peace of mind. Routinely check and change those fuel lines people!
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Been a lot going on over here - some trips, some camping, some shows, some maintenance, and some updates - some cosmetic, and some necessary.. Here's a couple quick project pics

Recently had my first ever "breakdown." In fact all it was, was loss of power to the fuel pump, due to wires falling out of the plug on the double relay. It's always been wrapped in tape, and I've never thought twice about it.. Turns out it was all broken (and melted?!) and the tape was helping hold the wires in. Grabbed another plug from he junkyard and swapped the wires over. Quick and easy.

Removed, stripped, and recovered the headliner

Updated the sound system.. A good internal cleaning, and it actually sounds way better than the previous POS radio that was in there! And yes, I made a converter and am able to play MP3s through it too!

Acquired some green door cards and mounted up the rare original Sportsmobile accessory armrest/map pockets. Guess I'll have door speakers now too..

Also put on new pop top decals that were given to me by the Sportsmobile corporation

Well that was a lot of not-too-important stuff... More to come soon! I finally have everything here (in the middle of my kitchen floor) to install an all new exhaust! from f pipes all the way back. Wait until you see (what is left of) what's on there now...
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Took a quick road trip a couple weeks ago through Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri for the wedding of some very good friends. Just shy of 1000 miles, so nothing major at all.. Except that temperatures were between 95 - 115 the entire trip! Good times!

Night 1 was lakeside camping, night 2 was in an air conditioned hotel (sometimes you just have to!), night 3 was the roof of a parking garage in downtown Kansas City (a bit too much booze at/after the wedding), and night 4 was home sweet home..

TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Had an erratic idle as of late - revving up, then lagging down, plus it was hard to tune, time, etc. Assumed vacuum leak, so checked all my (recently replaced) vac lines, all seemed good. Then took off the S boot... Bingo - 3 large cracks. Swapped with an og replacement from a friend, & runs like a champ now. Can't wait to see how much my (crappy) gas mileage improves..

TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Things I've never had: a quiet ride, heat, and a leakless exhaust. Well things got a whole lot quieter around here today. And less leaky. And hopefully more fuel efficient... And it's a million degrees here, so we'll fine tune that whole heat thing another day...

Lots of swearing. Lots of sweating. Lots of bleeding. Lots of penetrating oil. Lots of sawzall-ing.. But I was able to get this loud ass, rusted out, hot mess of a pig removed...

And (this is where the saw came in..) all these beautiful parts separated from their respective donors, prepped, and installed.

It was a weird feeling driving home and not being able to hear anything but the radio and the wind...
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Reading over your last several posts, it sure looks like you've been running on a strong dose of borrowed time and luck. Glad to see you caught the stuff before major consequences kicked in though. Best of luck with your travels!
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

As a good friend of Tweed's and fellow "statesman" here in Iowa, we help each other quite a bit with extra parts tradingand sourcing for each other, sharing info and of course loads of sarcasm. Laughing Im curious though... when will the pool noodle finally be retired!!???? Laughing See you Sunday!
Dpugle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Hey man!

I just purchased a 1970 hightop and the owner has 83 westfalia interior hes giving me to put in it. Knowing almost nothing about buses and this being my first bus, would you have any advice for beginners? is this a pretty hard job?
Thanks for your help!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Dpugle wrote:
Hey man!

I just purchased a 1970 hightop and the owner has 83 westfalia interior hes giving me to put in it. Knowing almost nothing about buses and this being my first bus, would you have any advice for beginners? is this a pretty hard job?
Thanks for your help!

Dan

Hard? No. Not if you have an eye for building. Time consuming? Yes.

Where in Iowa are you? I'm here too.. I'm always willing to help
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:
Dpugle wrote:
Hey man!

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Hard? No. Not if you have an eye for building. Time consuming? Yes.

Where in Iowa are you? I'm here too.. I'm always willing to help

Another one in Iowa. Sweet. I'd be glad to help too.
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Boesen wrote:

I planned on volunteering you too!
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:
Boesen wrote:

Laughing
Dpugle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Boesen wrote:
TweedLinn wrote:
Boesen wrote:

Laughing

Just realized you guys responded! Glad we got talking on facebook ha
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Last year was full of far too many deaths, weddings, illnesses, serious injuries, etc. We still managed to find time for some small trips, and small projects, but never made the time to post about them.. I've had a couple requests for updates, so...

Long post / photo overload warning...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: